• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Jeep 4.0L Pilot bearing

whiterice

OK, I am rebuilding a 1994 4.0L out of a Grand Cherokee. I picked up a regind crank on exchange. I have a 5 speed so I needed to install a pilot bearing. Went to NAPA and got one. Here is the problem. New bearing OD is 1.000, it slips and slides and slops around the crank, way to small. I don't have snap gauges to measure the crank, but it is very close to 1.050". I have a socket the just might tape in and it it 1.050. Only other size I could check was down to 1.035 and that was very loose as well. So if I checked online with AutoZone or anywhere all bearing are 1.000, I have searched and came up with a few 1.050 OD pilot bearings but nothing I can go buy. They have the smaller AX-15 shaft size of .560 and my trans is a .750. Does anyone have an answer as to why the regring 4.0L crank has a different pilot OD size? Seems all 4.0L have eithere a .865 or something and then a 1.000? Where did I get this 1.050 diameter size????? HELP I need wanted to drop this back in and be back on the road..

We've encountered this a couple of times doing manual trans. swaps. You need a National part # PB-77-HD. It's a bushing, not a bearing, but we've used it a lot. I have them in stock and just measured it. .750" ID, 1.055" OD.

John

I actually prefer the bronze bushing in the application of a wheeler. Bearings don't like mud and there isn't much keeping muddy water out of there. Never seen a problem, but that is just how my mind pictures it.

I actually prefer the bronze bushing in the application of a wheeler. Bearings don't like mud and there isn't much keeping muddy water out of there. Never seen a problem, but that is just how my mind pictures it.

If the bearing style is installed the right way, there's a rubber seal on them keeping the junk out of the bearings (most of the time anyway :haha:)...:;

Ok, my last two haven't had one, I don't know it just seemed to me that that bushing was, you know me, less complex, therefore less to fail. Just my logic. BTW I hate power windows, locks, heated seats, etc. Let's just keep it simple.

Thanks for the info, I ended up going back to the machine shop that I got the enchange crank and explained the measurements. They hadn't heard of the differeance in cranks before, but made a custom bushing on the spot and a few hours later I went and picked it up and installed it. No charge for the bushing. Thought that was some good customer service.