• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Juggy Rehab

I like make over/rehab threads.

Because I don't care how much you spend on a rig, there is ALWAYS some rigged up stuff that needs to be addressed. thumb.gif

throttlejunkie said:
Man i like the steering arm work you did. Simple and strong!

Thanks man! I took some inspiration from other builds I've seen, and just used what I had in the shop to make it work. I just didn't want to ruin a day like this.

TBItoy said:
I like make over/rehab threads.

Because I don't care how much you spend on a rig, there is ALWAYS some rigged up stuff that needs to be addressed. thumb.gif

That's for sure! Here's one I haven't gotten to yet. :wtflol:

I'm not critizing at all. ( I have no reason to be my work is sketchy) but, all that work and from what I can see on pic you didn't double shear the tie rod bolt?

Yeah, I thought about that the other night. I really should have, and it wouldn't take much to do it. I just didn't think about it at the time.

I'm not going to take it back apart right now to do it, but next time I get that deep into the axle I'll probably do it. I really think it will be fine though. The majority of the rigs on the trail are running single shear hi-steer.

I got the rest of the wheels and tires put together today and bolted the rears on. I ended up having to order a set of spacers for the front because the tire was going to rub on the reinforcement I added to the steering arms. The old wheels and tires cleared it fine. I just assumed the new ones would too because the wheels even had a little less backspacing. I guess the Treps are fatter than the BFGs.

I remember watching is buggy damn near idle all the way through lions den. Walked the whole trail like a speed bump.

I had the time to get everything together today before I had to come to work. I took it for a spin down my dead end road to make sure nothing fell off. It seemed to do fine. The front shocks are bottomed out in the pics, it will come up 4-5" at ride height. I started to charge the shocks today, and I discovered why they were bottomed out. The schraders were leaking so I've ordered some new schraders and I'll get the ride height set when they get here.

I guess the first trip out will be AOP the first weekend in June. I'm REALLY looking forward to getting back in the woods and having some fun.

Man you have done some awesome work to this rig it all looks great and the Treps make it drool

The new schrader valves came in today and I got the front shocks charged and sitting up to ride height.

Really about the only thing I have left to do is spool on the new winch rope.

The day after I charged the shocks I walked back in the garage to find a big puddle of gear oil under this thing. The whole time I've had it it has hardly leaked a drop of anything. I looked around under it and it looked like the front output in the 300 had been leaking and it had just puddled on the skid plate. I guess when I had the front end hanging from the hoist charging the shocks the oil found a path out.

I tore into it yesterday. I dropped the skid plates and pulled both driveshafts and both output yokes and seals. I'm going to replace both output seals and also swap the rear yoke to a u-bolt style yoke.

I also put new Spicer life series u-joints in the driveshafts while I had them out.

I figured I'd shoot a little paint on the skid plates while I had them off too.

I'm headed out in just a few minutes to grab the seals so I can put it back together. They weren't in stock so they had to order then from the warehouse. I should have it back together this afternoon.

I got everything back together today. After I already had the case filled with oil and was putting the driveshafts back in I noticed one cap retainer was broken off the front yoke. I don't have time to take it back apart and get a new yoke before I go wheeling next weekend so I had to come up with a quick fix.

A 3/8" heavy washer was the perfect size to fit in the end of the yoke. So I tacked it in for a temporary fix until I have time to fix it right. Hopefully it will hold up for at least a weekend.