• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Juggy Rehab

Worked on it a bit last night and today. I got the transmission temp. gauge working. I just got another tee and welded a 1/4" stud to it and ran a ground wire to the chassis.

Also decided to move the cooler for the steering. It only has a copper finned tube cooler and it was originally mounted over the engine about a foot above the exhaust manifold. Obviously it wasn't cooling very good there. I moved it over above the drivers tire. Just had to get a couple new hoses made. It's still under the hood, but should be away from most of the heat now.

I also decided to knock some holes in the side of the hood to let a little more air get to the cooler. And of course I had to do the other side too so it would match.

And I dimpled the holes for the extra HP. I figure these are good for an extra 20 HP.

I also went ahead and ordered a set of hood louvers to go in the middle to help let some more heat out.

I'm loading it in the trailer tomorrow to head to Harlan for the weekend. If there are any issues left Harlan will find them for sure.

I'll post up when I get them on. So far I haven't had any problems with the engine overheating, but I figure it can't hurt to let some heat out.

Well we had a great weekend in Harlan. The weather turned out perfect and there were only a couple other small groups there so traffic was no issue.

This thing did great. I think the fuel issue is definitely solved. I was able to roast all 4 easily on the far right ledge on the exit of Mason Jar. I left about $100 worth of Maxxis rubber on that rock, but I did make it up it.

The transmission still gets a little warm. I saw ~200* on some of the long climbs. I may pick up a bigger cooler for it down the road. But I really need some more t-case gear than anything. It's just working it too hard trying to pull those climbs in 2nd, but 1st is too low for the main trails.

The steering is still getting way too hot. The pump was squealing all weekend and the steering would fade after it started heating up. I'm going to have to put a dedicated cooler with a fan on the steering and relocate it out from under the hood away from the heat.

Only one minor mishap all weekend. Late Friday night I got a little too full of liquid courage and a little low on talent and rolled it off the waterfall. The only damage was a decent sized dent in the hood. I redeemed myself on the waterfall Saturday afternoon though. It was about to roll again, but I made a split second decision to throttle out of it, saved the roll and drove it up it. Sometimes you just get lucky. Lol. Unfortunately nobody got it on video.

Other than the one roll the only trail I got denied on was Lil' Jagger. I was really slick at the bottom and I just couldn't get the right bounce to get tires up on the big rocks. My buddy Clint did make it up it in my old buggy. He didn't rub it in or anything. Haha!

Here's a few pics from the weekend.

Making awesome improvements to the juggy for sure. hitit

Are you sure the steering is plumbed correctly? I would have expected to see the feed line from the reservoir going directly to the pump.....from the bottom and not the side.

Thanks man.

As far as I know it is plumbed correctly. The fitting on the side is a -10 and the bottom is -8. It was plumbed that way when I got it, but I would think the bigger line would be the feed. I could definitely be wrong though.

I used this when plumbing my steering recently....i followed it to a tee (with KRC parts though :****:) and have been very happy; although i haven't trailed tested it yet.

I did a little searching and the plumbing is right for this particular generation of PSC reservoir. This is an older reservoir, not sure exactly which generation it is. I know the use a different design now.

Not much to add. I did get the hood louvers installed last week. Hopefully they'll help out some with the under-hood heat.

And here's a video a friend got of me going through Lion's Den in Harlan a few weeks ago. Sorry it's kinda crappy quality. It's running a little rough right there because I sucked some air into the fuel system when I nosed off the ledge dropping in to Lion's Den.

Took this thing out to Harlan again this past weekend. It performed great once again. I did have one minor oops though. In Lions den I decided to try the left line over the big rock instead of between the rock and the tree. It walked right up the rock easily but when it broke over the top I got hi-centered pretty bad.

While I was hi-centered we tried hooking my winch to the front axle to suck it down and see if I could get some traction. Well, when I pulled the winch in it bent the front section of the frame right in front of the shock towers where it had been tubed out and not beefed up very well.

Once I got it back home in the shop I started figuring out how I was going to straighten it back up. I tried a couple different thing, and finally found something that worked. I rolled my engine hoist under the front end and ran a couple 2" ratchet straps around the frame and under the legs of the engine hoist. Then I laid a long 6x6 block across the legs of the engine hoist and used the 20 ton bottle jack off my press and a 4x4 block to push the front of the frame back up. It worked surprisingly well, but the tube did rip on one side right where it had bent when I straightened it back out.

After I got it straightened back up I cut a couple pieces of 1.5" tube to tie the winch mount back to the shock towers. I'm going to cut a couple gussets from some 10ga sheet and add some dimples to fill the opening and really beef it up. I also welded up the ripped tube and split a short section of 1.75" tube to cap it, and added a gusset back to the track bar mount. If it bends again something catastrophic will have happened.

Hoping to have it finished up and back together this weekend and be ready for the Labor Day Poker Run at Chinquipin next weekend.

Thanks man! I'm only a few adult beverages away from trying it again. :drinkers: It is possible and I've seen it done before, but this rig is just a little too much of a fat girl to pull it off. I'll definitely try it again one day when I finish the single seater.