• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Just another XJ

I couldn't get the backend over to save my life. Then tilted enough that it starved the fuel pump and I was dead in the water.

You and Matt both need to look into a fuel mat or something. His runs out of fuel all the time

I've had issues topping that tank off ever since I moved it into the "cargo area". So while I did fit 7 gallons in at the gas station that morning, it's a 16 gallon tank. So it might have been low? I think it's because of a dip in the filler hose. I'm going to try and mess with it a bit and see if I can actually fill up my tank.

I've had issues topping that tank off ever since I moved it into the "cargo area". So while I did fit 7 gallons in at the gas station that morning, it's a 16 gallon tank. So it might have been low? I think it's because of a dip in the filler hose. I'm going to try and mess with it a bit and see if I can actually fill up my tank.

I have a RCI cell i was going to put in the TJ I might part with. If i can find it.

The Luke brought Just another XJ down to the house for some 5.38 gears and a few other fixins,

Put a full spool in the front at the same time as the 5.38s, since he got a screamin deal on some thin gears and needed a new carrier. Easy bonus is the old style gears don't use crush sleeve like the new Dana 60s.
IMG_2874.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG

I plated the bottom side of the unibody "frame rails" and some more welding around the frame stiffeners and random places, and boxed/plated/tied the panhard mount on where hopefully it will quit trying to get away.

IMG_2877.JPG

When I got the the back, the 1310 slip spline was twisted and locked up tight, and the 1310/1350 bastard joint was trashed. So Luke went on the hunt for a 1350 slip spline/yoke/ujoint that we could get quickly and get together in time for CFR, the pinion guard was trashed also (it was light duty 1/4" thick one)... I dug around in my stash pile and found part of an old Rockwell driveshaft that had a good spline and ujoint already together. So a call to Northern and we had a 14 bolt/Rockwell flange on the way. Yes, the spline is about the same size as the driveshaft tube

IMG_2867.JPG
IMG_2873.JPG

Got everything buttoned up and took a little (mile) road trip just to see how it drove and did some rock pile flexin and ditch crawling the woods behind the house.

View attachment 122972View attachment 122973View attachment 122974
That dang 1410 flange is so fancy it's got it's own rock light! I swear the brightest light on this thing shines right there.

I didn't hang around to see any beat downs, but it sure seemed happier with the low gears.

And it's machined to a mirror finish so it'll look like a flashing hazard light under there!

I've only driven a few vehicles with a 4.0 6cyl, none of them in the woods. 95% of my offroad driving has been in 4cyl rigs with 200:1 crawl ratios, or rigs with 6.72 gear rockwells...

When I took it down on my trails, it definitely seemed to have acceptable low range gearing. I reckon if you were going to do BIG rocks and super technical crawling it might need lower tcase gears/doubler?

When Luke loaded it up on his bounty-hill trailer ramps (anyone that's seen his trailer will understand), he said "Wow I didnt even have to hit the gas!"

@TBItoy thanks again for everything! The Jeep turned out great. Super responsive and makes the Jeep feel like its back on 33's.

i think you're right about the possible doubler if in some super technical stuff. But for most southeast wheeling, I think it's pretty spot on.

Overall the Jeep did great. Had a few minor issues. Need do work on some better spring retainers, limit straps and shocks. Also my 15+ year old inline fuse holder melted. So it left me at 1am with no lights or winch. Luckily my one headlight through the factory harness worked and got us back out.

@TBItoy thanks again for everything! The Jeep turned out great. Super responsive and makes the Jeep feel like its back on 33's.

i think you're right about the possible doubler if in some super technical stuff. But for most southeast wheeling, I think it's pretty spot on.

Overall the Jeep did great. Had a few minor issues. Need do work on some better spring retainers, limit straps and shocks. Also my 15+ year old inline fuse holder melted. So it left me at 1am with no lights or winch. Luckily my one headlight through the factory harness worked and got us back out.

Glad you are happy with gears and tires with tread. Are you down to one working/attached shock now?

Yep, down to 1 shock. I've got a set sitting here. I had hesitated putting any new shocks on with the trackbar that would randomly disconnect(I've torn up 3 sets now). But with Nick's latest changes to the trackbar mount, I feel confident enough to actually spend some much needed attention and money on the front suspension. Limit straps, bump stops, good shocks and new/better coil retainers coming VERY soon.

4x air bumps, shocks, and limit straps. You'll be baja'ing in no time
Don't tempt me with a good time. I ran the main trail at Harlan WAY too fast last time I was there. Had an absolute blast drifting corners.

Alright, so I chopped up some ford shock towers, welded in some bumps and even bolted on some bk limit straps. Came up with 3.5" up travel and 7" down at the shock.

Ran around Blue holler this weekend with @Bronco72, his son and our friend Otto. It was our daughters first trip and first trip with all four of us. The kids loved it. My daughter sat in the back and cheered and sang the entire day.

Overall the Jeep did great. Got some more clarencing to do at full lock/stuff. But considering I'm running 4" springs and 43's, it's doing fantastic. Got the spring retainers worked out.
Ruffstuff sells some cutouts from their disc brake kits. It's just a .25" thick circle. Drill a hole offset in it and bam. Spring retainer

Now to work on floorboard heat. Currently the muffler is right under the passenger seat. It just has a turndown on it. The floor is getting so hot that it actually warped my daughters shoe that was bouncing around back there. It's also loud and resonates bad at 2500 ish rpms, which my son absolutely hates.

I'm going to move it all the way to the back, in the giant gap where my fuel tank used to be. Leave a substantial gap between the floorboard and the muffler. Now, since my gas tank is in the rear cargo area. What's everyone's thoughts on placing a large push fan above the muffler to blow down on it? Might be overkill but I know how hot my floor gets with the muffler right there, and I'd rather keep that heat out of my fuel tank. I'm open to suggestions too...

A0EF65CD-C43D-4234-B54D-DC8E491C2FD0.jpeg
FE4BEC28-8DAC-4A77-ABAB-66483ED9E30F.jpeg
0AEB6CF8-A0AB-4BE5-A10E-F306450FCB25.jpeg
78CEFE86-2481-439E-A063-5169ED4D45FB.jpeg
754A0430-EDEB-47EE-8EB9-6C1B1D702179.jpeg
63B6876B-4A52-4975-ABCC-71AD37DB20A4.jpeg
C0D00B09-FF8F-48AC-A735-F6F614543A89.jpeg
858F6B19-EA21-4FD9-9966-30F0EED877AC.jpeg
0A5901C3-6AE3-4623-8250-13C137BDE3E1.jpeg

Latest posts