• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

JV Fab project "Long Haul"

JFab

Here's what I've been workin on lately...
This is "Stage One" for this truck; it is owned by my friend, Chris. He's Big94GMC on here...

Stage one consists of:

-Stock 4.3 for now
-Built 4l60e
-203/205 doubler with ORD triple stick
-HP60 front welded 4.10s for now
-60 rear 30spline detriot and 4.10s
-Rear spring over for now with some lift shackles
-Rear traction bars that will become the rear lower links later on
-Front 3link with panhard and Cherokee coils
-Full hydro steering
-Simple interior cage and Integra seats
-Cutting brakes
-Tubular bumpers and rockers
-38x12.5 SX's on recentered H1s

This is the first one of these trucks that I've done, and from what I've seen on other builds of these things is that they're all WAAYYYY too tall...so I'm tryin to keep it as low as possible...

If there's more, Im sure Chris will chime in...
Anyways, here's some of the pics...

Pulled it in and stripped the interior and put the rear under for a ride height so I could start on the front...
DayOne11.jpg

DSCN0464.jpg

Then I did the wheels...
DSCN0446.jpg

DSCN0439.jpg

DSCN0441.jpg

DSCN0600.jpg

DSCN0607.jpg

DSCN0611.jpg

Then the front was stripped and the frame was cleaned...
DSCN0559.jpg

Mocked up the front end...
DSCN0602.jpg

Cut the fenders a little...
DSCN0662.jpg

DSCN0660.jpg

Wheel/Tire in place just for brainstorming...
DSCN0666.jpg

Made the Upper link mount on the axle...
DSCN0738.jpg

DSCN0740.jpg

DSCN0741.jpg

DSCN0770.jpg

Then I started the track bar bracket on the axle side...
DSCN0748.jpg

DSCN0767.jpg

DSCN0774.jpg

DSCN0776.jpg

And the upper link mount on the frame side...
DSCN0778.jpg

DSCN0780.jpg

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0782.jpg

DSCN0788.jpg

Frame side track bar bracket...
DSCN0795.jpg

DSCN0796.jpg

And built the track bar last night...
Ride height:
DSCN0799.jpg

Full stuff:
DSCN0802.jpg

DSCN0803.jpg

Next up is makin the upper and lower coil buckets...

-James

I never get tired of seein' this thing come together.... :woot: ;D ;D

James and I initially set a three month build time from start to finish, but....that didn't happen. I was driving down there (Huntsville, AL......I'm in Northern Virginia) every other weekend for a while there to work on it, but it seemed when I would go, the two of us would get less done in a weekend than he could do by himself! haha We'd spend more time BS'ing and talking about what we wanted to do for the night that time talking about the 'build! Good times, though....that's for sure. So, I don't do down as much anymore, both because I got burned out making that 10 hour one-way drive all the time, and he works faster alone.

I have known James for about four years now (it was summer of '05 when I meet him, I reckon), and I've seen plenty of examples for the work he's rolled out the door. About the same time, I was 'wheeling a purchased-already-built '73 Chevy cab truck that had more in common with a monster truck than it did a trail rig. A series of unfortunate events led to it's demise, and James and I set out to rebuild SOMETHING outta the parts that I had. That project didn't get too far off the ground before lack of money killed it. Since I'd had a handful of other 4x4's in my past ranging from semi-show trucks to ugly-ass beaters, I decided it was time I did a full-on project like I hadn't done since high school....and do one that I'd been dreaming of since high school.

So, what you see coming together as Project LongHaul is just that.....this is a two and a half year involvement up to this point. I gathered and sat on parts for nearly two years, not the least of which was the truck itself!! I DD'd it for a year for the hell of it - I'll tell ya, I STOLE the truck from that dude....it's really very solid, and consistently reliable as a DD (not to mention my favorite body style S-truck).

This S-ton will have three different stages to it over the coming years. People have reamed me, telling me I just need to just straight to the last stage if that's what I want, but that's not what I want.... I want to enjoy this truck, and enjoy it's transformations. Now, as you can see, that doesn't mean I start with 3/4t axles, or small tires, or leafs all the way around - locked one tons on double beadlocks, 'linked, doubler, full hydro, and lots of protection. The wheelbase if going to be long (~126"), but that's how I want it. I want this to LOOK like a truck. I want the bed and all the fenders. As the trails take their toll and she starts to look like a Mardi Gras parade float in June, than Stage Two will commence: bobbed/shortened bed, rear moved in 12" and 4 linked, and 40" tires. Again, I will beat on her like a pimp does a ho who's scamming money off the top.... Than, Stage Three: tube bed and 42's. Surely, somewhere along the way there'll be a V8, tube doors, and most of the frame fore and aft of the cab will be replaced with tube, so....who knows.

As I've mentioned, I want this to look like a truck. But more importantly, I want this to be different. James is going above and beyond to make that happen. IMHO, most S-trucks that have SFA are just too tall - and we found out why when we started to figure out the front suspension! WHEW! Anyway, the end result is going to outstanding. And here's why:

DSCN0665.jpg

:dblthumb:

I guess I should update this! :cougar:

The truck came 'home' a couple months ago. We're still in the "ironing out" phase, but, WHEW!!, this thing is a blast to drive out on the trail. Let's see....initially it was supposed to be hydro assist - that was changed to full hydro. The rear was supposed to be SOA - that changed to a 4 link. There's probably a couple of other changes from the initial plan that I can't recall off the top of my head.

Anyway, I'll just put up some pics - ask any questions you have.

Some of the front coils:

DSCN0917.jpg

DSCN0921.jpg

DSCN0930.jpg

I'm very glad we opted to NOT go with a SOA setup in the rear, and went straight to a four link:

DSCN0941.jpg

DSCN0944.jpg

DSCN0947.jpg

DSCN0949.jpg

DSCN0974.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN1042.jpg

No stock brake lines remain....all new plumbing, and the '80s Suburban master cylinder:

DSCN0965.jpg

DSCN0966.jpg

It's eye-opening when you realize your 'sliders are over 7' long.....and H-E-A-V-Y!!

DSCN0931.jpg

DSCN0932.jpg

DSCN0940.jpg

A little something over my head.... Tied into the rock sliders and frame:

DSCN1142.jpg

DSCN0934.jpg

DSCN1141.jpg

The t-cases had to be put up HIGH in the frame....

DSCN0933.jpg

DSCN0936.jpg

DSCN1125.jpg

DSCN1133.jpg

DSCN1134.jpg

James built in a little access panel into the floor so that I can adjust the cable shifters as they stretch over time....

DSCN1137.jpg

Interior is comprised of Acura Integra seats, triple sticks, and cutting brakes. The entire mount is completely removable:

DSCN1083.jpg

DSCN1098.jpg

DSCN1093.jpg

DSCN1115.jpg

DSCN1107.jpg

DSCN1114.jpg

DSCN1108.jpg

DSCN1102.jpg

The Warn winch controller was cut up, and the switch mounted into the console. I have to contort my hand around the brake handles, but it's great to be hard-wired in:

DSCN1109.jpg

A little bit of testing....

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1048.jpg

DSCN1050.jpg

DSCN1033.jpg

And some randoms.....

I put the gas tank in the bed:

DSCN1012.jpg

DSCN1011.jpg

Ram put up high out of the way....

DSCN0948.jpg

The lever on the winch had to be bent down in order to fit the winch up so high....

DSCN0979.jpg

The finished product!!

We took the new truck out for what was supposed to be an afternoon of fun. James drove it a bit first, then I took over. It turned into something alot longer then just an afternoon out, when I was goofing around in a washout on our way off the mountain and fell in.... First trip out, and the first dents went on the body (and the pass. side mirror was ripped off, too!) hahaha

DSCN1199.jpg

DSCN1204.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

DSCN1209.jpg

DSCN1216.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN1217.jpg