• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Keep the dana 60 or 14 bolt it

gamjunior

Ok, I see some of you guys giving your rig a beat down like no other so what better place to ask this but here. The problem I am having is that I keep snapping the shafts in the dana 60, and no the are not cromo shafts. :dunno:

What would you do,

A-just slap some cromo's in and call it a day
B-swap it out for a 14 bolt
C- ?

either buy the best chromo shafts you can (RCV or some sort of 300m badass stuff) or buy and build a stock 14b. lol I still think the 30 spline shafts will break, even with chromo shafts.

Gary, post the video of your shaft breaking.....

IMO, what are running for motor, rig's weight, tire size, etc. I ran a Rockcrusher 60 with some ponies to push it with 44's, and had only a few breaks in 6+ years. I ran cryo'd chromo's 35 splines with an ARB. thumb.gif

1TONZR2 said:
Gary, post the video of your shaft breaking.....

I don't think anybody wants to here me bitch like a baby and cuse like a sailor. This was the second time I broke and on the first obstacle of the day...

TURNEROFFROAD said:
I'd put a 14 bolt in it myself.....

That's what I was thinking, find me a housing and start gathering parts for it.

CHASMAN9 said:
IMO, what are running for motor, rig's weight, tire size, etc. I ran a Rockcrusher 60 with some ponies to push it with 44's, and had only a few breaks in 6+ years. I ran cryo'd chromo's 35 splines with an ARB. thumb.gif

motor- Jeep straight 6 stroked to 4.7
weight- clueless on that
tire- 42" swamper
these are 30 spline and has a detroit

thought you were talk'n about a front at first. for the rear, stock 14, maybe pick up some extra shafts and :driving:

A stock 14bolt is way strong! I had one in the stoploss buggy and beat on it with big block power. You can pick up a 14 for damn near nothing and it WILL hold up better than any cromo 30 spline 60 axle. I had a rear 60 at one time and never again unless it has 35 splines in it already. It is worth it in my opinion. Rear 60's are :gay:

So are you wanting to do a 14 bolt front or just a rear. There's 2 different arguments going on here. If you're breaking front stub shafts in a 60 front and plan on using them in a 14 front I don't see a point in spending the time or money to build one. The 60 front factory stub shafts are pretty much garbage from my experience with them. I broke one with 38.5s so I could see you having trouble running 42s. I swaped in a set of chromoly 35 spline axles (no idea what brand) and haven't had any issues yet. If the stub shafts are the problem I'd try just upgrading them if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on all new axles and joints. If its just a rear you're talking about I'd swap it out since they are everywhere and can be had for cheap.

I had the same setup!!!!!!!

I was running Yukon shafts I broke one about every other ride with 39.5 iroks slick ones at that I finally bent an axle tube and had to use a tractor to get the broke shaft out!!!

The 14 bolt would definitely be a hell of a lot stronger with stock shafts and you'll see a big difference

Wished I would have swapped mine alot sooner

86tank said:
So are you wanting to do a 14 bolt front or just a rear. There's 2 different arguments going on here. If you're breaking front stub shafts in a 60 front and plan on using them in a 14 front I don't see a point in spending the time or money to build one. The 60 front factory stub shafts are pretty much garbage from my experience with them. I broke one with 38.5s so I could see you having trouble running 42s. I swaped in a set of chromoly 35 spline axles (no idea what brand) and haven't had any issues yet. If the stub shafts are the problem I'd try just upgrading them if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on all new axles and joints. If its just a rear you're talking about I'd swap it out since they are everywhere and can be had for cheap.

Sorry about that, its a rear dana 60 I keep breaking. My front 60 is all 35 cromo and yukon joints.

gamjunior said:
Sorry about that, its a rear dana 60 I keep breaking. My front 60 is all 35 cromo and yukon joints.
Gotcha thumb.gif I think you'd like a 14, just do like you said and gather parts for it as you go. Stock theyre pretty tough and real easy to find in a junkyard.

If it was a 35 spline setup i would say get a set of chromoly shafts. But since its only 30 spline I would junk it and find a stock 14 bolt put in and be done. Just my .02

i run a stock 14b welded on a 4200lb rig with cut 44's and 360 whp. and i would say that i am pretty hard on my rig, that is one thing that i have never been able to break on my rig so far!

Thanks for all the info, looks like I may be able to get my hands on a 14 for next to nothing. :****: Once I get it I will start gathering parts. I think I'm going to get the truss and pinion guard from Artec, diff cover and disk brake brackets from Ruff stuff. Trying to decide on to spool it or detroit it.

On a side note, the rear 60 I have now has a detroit in it and was curious if I can change it from 30 spline to 35 spline and take the spool I have up front and replace it with the detroit.

Hi-jack alert!/// I've got 35 splines and Chromo Yukons in the a rear 60 right now on 40" PBR's/ 5.3 Vortec/Th400/Atlas 4.3 in a heavy ass Jeep. Will I gain a lot switching or would it be enough to matter? Is the 60 plenty strong for what I have right now? I'm linking it this winter, so it'll be gettin beat a little harder than it does now. Thanks!/////// Hi jack over.

On a side note, the rear 60 I have now has a detroit in it and was curious if I can change it from 30 spline to 35 spline and take the spool I have up front and replace it with the detroit

If ya can't, I'd be interested in buying that Detroit. :fish: