• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kick starting a dirt bike

kokomo

I am tryin to get a Suzuki 400 2 stroker started, do ya have to pull the compression release to start while cold or just when it's warm?

989 is correct. Put the piston at TDC for your best chance. Usually the compression release is for when it's warm. Save yourself the trouble and get a KTM.

989 is correct. Put the piston at TDC for your best chance. Usually the compression release is for when it's warm. Save yourself the trouble and get a KTM.

already bought it's a 1972 suzuki 400 cyclone, really good condition and was one owner. from what I have read it's a rare collectable bike.

As a former owner of an old 400 2 stoke Suzi, I can tell you info you're getting is correct. Don't even try to start it without going to TDC. If you try it any other way you're lucky if it just doesn't start. I had a buddy break his foot when one kicked back on him.

Make sure the gas hasn't been sitting so long that the pre-mix oil and fuel have seperated. Also I've been told that the modern Ethanol fuel is really bad about seperating and not staying mixed....as in week to week.

I have a Cr 500 with no comp release.....I just cycle it over to TDC on the compression stroke and kick it HARD all the way through......When cold,useing the choke...it'll start 2nd kick generally. When hot...it'll start first kick all day.

You got the bike!!! Nice! Stephen just got a 2nd quad so maybe we should hit up some trails some time.

Haha....Got it a month ago...had it out a couple times.I got it to ride with my wife. She's had a couple different CR80's over the last few years. Up until recently I would just follow her around in the buggy....but now she rides the trails pretty well so she spends less time on the roads so the buggy just doesn't work anymore. Got the 500 to keep it real:redneck:

It's either idling or trying to kill me....makes it interesting:haha:

I'm down for whatever:cool:

Don't have to pre-mix,first year or auto oil injection. The original owner stored it right drained the tank and carb,both looked like brand new inside.