• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kids mowing lawn

tall boy

So I'm cutting the grass today and think, how old do kids have to be to run a push mower. We live downtown Nashville. Have a small yard that we keep good care of/spend a decent amount of money on. Should I teach my 10 year old how to cut it so I can be running the weed eater? :dunno:

How old were your kids when they started cutting the grass?

Once I was strong enough to pull start it on my own my dad had me push mowing our yard growing up.

Re:

I grew up without a father so as soon as I was able to I push mowed our yard and then picked up neighborhood yards...that and paper routes.. I wish kids now a days had good work ethics instilled in them.
Put him out there and teach the lad

I think I was about 8 when I started on the riding mower cutting my parents yard. By 10 I was running a tractor bushhogging my grandfathers property and was using a weedeater as soon as I was big enough to hold it.

My kids it will be probably be the same, the 2 yo knows the starting procedure and the basics of steering the zero turn from riding with me and the the 6yo can steer it while riding in my lap.

Yep. Teach him how and then see if he has any drive to make money at it. I see no problem helping him buy his first mower/weed eater if he has the drive to get out and use it.

My dad duct taped 2 2x4 blocks on the clutch and I had to sit on a 50# bag a horse feed when I started mowing grass. Had to use the weight of the feed bag cause I didn't weigh enough because of the safety switch in the seat.

I think I was running a chainsaw by the time I was 10. :****:

Whenever I started pushing a mower, I was small enough that dad had to start it for me. I cut every yard on my street at least once when I was growing up. Then I branched out and mom had to drive me and the mower (that I bought from cutting yards) around town in the mini van.

Re:

I was 10 when I started. I'd cut the neighbors yards to make gas money for my motorcycle.

I started my two boys when they were 11.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

My son is 12 and been hepling mow 2-3yrs. Last year he learned run weedeater and I dont touch it unless he is to busy with good excuse school, grandparents, etc. Soon as homework is done he is mowing/weedeating when needed.

I dont rember how old i was but dad had me mowing the big open parts of our yard with the ol super A farmall when i was big nuff to push the clutch down. In the summer when i was out of school it was expected to be done buy the time dad got home cuz he had other stuff to do. Hell when we would cut wood my job was to drag the **** out and haul it home with the tractor and 16' trailer wile ol man was workin. He just kinda turned me out on stuff and told me not to **** it up. But lookin back on it i thank ol man probly crazy as hell for puttin me to doin wat i would do. But i learned alot that way. I had several mowing bush hogging hay racking jobs when i was in middle school. I liked that kinda stuff tho. I never got into sports

I am not sure of my age but fairly young I remember a straight shaft Ryan brand weed that I tried using and I wasn't strong enough to keep it from digging dirt. My Dad and I always kept our family cemeteries mowed and some family yards all summer for many years, I see nothing wrong with it and my kids will do the same when there a little bigger. Learning to work and having pride in your job is missing in many young people anymore

My oldest started at 9-10. I would cut around all the obstacles in the yard then put him on the zero turn. Now he's 14 and he's on his own at the house. We also own a small business and we pay him what we'd pay someone else. But he has to load everything on the trailer and hook it to the jeep. I drive him out here and go do inside work and he loads everything back up when he's done. Between that and picking watermelons with a neighbor, he banked about $3000 last summer.

cool. I know my folks had me cutting early too. I did the lawn mowing service too for a long time. Made great money doing it. I should teach him how to do the back yard because there is nothing he can run over...

Thanks guys

Re:

Rokcrler said:
I grew up without a father so as soon as I was able to I push mowed our yard and then picked up neighborhood yards...that and paper routes.. I wish kids now a days had good work ethics instilled in them.
Put him out there and teach the lad

Well, you're a Mexican, soooo.....

:flipoff1: molaugh

not sure the exact age for my but I think around 6-7, we had one of those super old "snapper looking' john deeres with the motor in the rear

that thing lasted forever

it was terribly slow and of course when you came off the seat it would cut off, plus the yard was fairly flat so not too much "danger" there

Some of y'all apparently had a more safety conscious family than I did. Those kill switches were always disabled and the blade guards removed so you could cut closer on the right side. :****: