• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Kids mowing lawn

I was bushhogging the fields when I was 7 or 8. We didn't have a push mower but as soon as I was big enough to hold/start the weedeater I as doing that too. Also when I was younger my dad would drop me off at this guys house on his way to work that did landscape work and pick me up in the evenings. I was 14-15 when that was going on. when I was old enough to drive I would go and meet him and cut grass all day, mulch, spray chemicals, all that ****. I wanted that green and had to make it happen some how.

I started helping my dad with the lawn as soon as I had enough strength to pull the pull starter. I think I was probably about 11. I also knew how to start my dad's Oldsmobile when my mom needed it for an appointment and couldn't figure out the rhythm to pumping the accelerator at age 5. (Dad was at work).

I thought helping my dad with stuff around the house and mowing the yard was fun! Not only that, but at the end of the day, I felt great knowing I did something productive. I'd be sore, but I was always faster and and had more endursnce than all the kids...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Edit: ^^^^ my daughter begs for a self propelled. Lol

I started my daughter at 10. I took the top half of the mower handle off and retrofitted the controls to the lower half so she could comfortably push it.

I started paying her last year. She is 13 now. Mows every week. Mows another lawn in the neighborhood.

It opened some doors to creative thinking to earn more money. She made flyers and passed them out to neighbors offering to do odd jobs more than just mowing.

She was taking a photography class earlier in the year so she earned all of her own money to buy a high dollar camera to go pro.

Cool stories here. When I see other parents are still teaching their kiddos responsibility, makes me feel like all hope isn't lost. Lol

^^^ I remember that was the way I learned to mow. My dad would push the mower and I'd hold on to that lower bar...until I was able to do it myself. It was a pale green Lawn Boy brand.

My grandparents had what has to be one of the first Lawn Boy mowers...had a cast aluminum deck. That thing was a breeze to push, but now that I'm older it makes me wonder just how much that aluminum could have stood up to.

Lol. I mowed with a lawn boy as a kid too. Me and a buddy tried to build a go kart with that mower one summer. Pulled the motor and through that B sideways on a homemade plywood kart frame. Through a clutch on it and a chain. Dumped gas everywhere and wouldn't stay running?? Why??