• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Knuckles?????????

BlackYJ

ok i have broken two stock knuckles in the past two times i rode. The second one ticked me off....finally finished my jeep and then broke it on the first trail :puke:

Any way i am looking at getting aftermarket knuckles and need to know some ideas? I like the solid knuckles but i know you have to buy their high steer arms and are kinda pricey. So what is everyones suggestion of the cheapest way to get some stout knuckles for a ford D60??????????? And Why i keep breakin them???????

BlackYJ said:
So what is everyones suggestion of the cheapest way to get some stout knuckles for a ford D60??????????? And Why i keep breakin them???????

There's no cheap way.

Stock knuckles (esp ford) are not very strong.

AFAIK, the solids are chevy/dodge only. So you would have to change spindles, hubs, etc. Other than buying dedenbears, you could try plating a set of stock knuckles. At least there are some cheaper arms for d-bears.

check your steering and see if it maxes out the knuckle or if puts it in any bind thats what breaks a lot of peoples and they don't notice :dblthumb:

jtreeves1 said:
check your steering and see if it maxes out the knuckle or if puts it in any bind thats what breaks a lot of peoples and they don't notice :dblthumb:

Yeah very true.

You could always plate the Stock Knuckles. There is a pretty good thread about it on Pirate.

i guess thats what i get for putting something ford under my jeep. The only ford thing on it and its the weekest part :woot: Of course the rest of the axle has been pretty good to me. No other problems except the lockrite which i jammed a peice of plate in and welded up four years ago at summertown with a flux core welder and is still goin strong :****:

well i thought about my ram may be pushing to far on out on them. Is there anything i could do to lessen the stroke? i think its 8" now. Its a double ended ram from POS

jtreeves1 said:

X2 , if your steering ram is stroking further than your stops on the knuckle allows it puts some major pressure on the knuckles. If it is a PSC cylinder they can put some cushions/stops inside the cylinder . If it is a single ended ram then maybe adjust the stroke by moving the cylinder.

I ran dedenbears on my XJ Ford Dana 60. You can get a set around 500.00 . Never had an issue with them. And you get the 5th bolt in the high steer also.

BlackYJ said:
well i thought about my ram may be pushing to far on out on them. Is there anything i could do to lessen the stroke? i think its 8" now. Its a double ended ram from POS

Jack the front up and turn it all the way right and left. See how much stroke is left when you hit your knuckle stops. That will be the difference you need. But with this said if you had beefy knuckles you would probably be ok.

ok well i have noticed that when its dirty there is about an inch of my shaft that does not go in on either side.....so i guess i should probably get the cushions installed. And it looks like ill be saving for some dedenbears.....disheartening when i spent all that money and time redoing the rear and then the front breaks but i guess thats part of it ::)

I plated my stock knuckles after finding one was cracked (replaced with non cracked stocker) I have had zero problems so far.

Brian

Brandon - looks like EOR has a deal going right now.....

Axle upgrade sale Knuckles and flanges
? on: Yesterday at 09:18:05 PM ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We are offering disounts on upgraded knuckles from Reid Racing. Lower prices than you will find anywhere on these bombproof knuckles. Please PM for details

Also on sale Tera drive flanges we have used these flanges for years with great results, Nothing fancey here just great quality rugged flanges at $185 for the set.

If these products aren't bling enough, of course we can get you the spidertrax stuff too

1 800 826 1623