• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

landers tire vs i-40 tire (tire vulcanizing)

which is the better place to get tires vulcanized

• landers tire shelbyville tn

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • i-40 tire cookeville tn

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

351yj

OK so I have always heard good things about landers tire but... its about 1 h 45 min drive one way and you have to leave your tires for 3 days and then come back... plus they are priced a little higher
I-40 is cheaper and I have heard they will do them while you wait...(also 1:45 away)
is the quality of landers work worth the extra money, drive time/gas and wait or is I-40 the way to go ?

I was under the impression that true vulcanizing takes a while and is not something you can just wait for.

Either way consider yourself lucky. There's only one place near me to get it done and I'm lucky if I see my tire again in under 2 weeks. They do good work for a fair price but you better have a spare if you intend to ride again any time soon. (I have 3 spares.)

patooyee said:
I was under the impression that true vulcanizing takes a while and is not something you can just wait for.
I was thinking the same thing...I had hoped somebody would shed some light on this... (what is their process...)

Is I-40 tire in Cookeville, TN?

Landers has done 3 for me. Top notch work. I've also seen them fix a tire another started to fix and then stopped and said they couldn't after cutting a 6x4 chunk of side wall out.

If this is the Tim's Tire(I40) that i've always heard about it....then they do great work. Buddy had 5 sticky IROKS vulc'd and they looked great! I think turn around was 1 day?

its I-40 in Cookeville tn... it could be tims not sure... I have been told it is just down the road from golden mtn and that's where everybody that rides there gets their tires fixed ???

Just seen that you're talking about I-40 tire in Cookeville. All I can say is good luck with that ****. Tried to get them to fix a tire of mine, even offered to pay a little more if they could get it done, I dropped it off Thursday morning of dixie run, wanted to pick it up Saturday morning on my way out of town. Not only did the guy not want to do it at all, when I picked it up it was still laying where I left it, never even touched it......

ok sounds like I-40 is out... I looked up tims tire and its just to far away at 2:15 min... so I guess I will be going with my original choice of landers tire... thanks guys

wizzo said:
Just seen that you're talking about I-40 tire in Cookeville. All I can say is good luck with that ****. Tried to get them to fix a tire of mine, even offered to pay a little more if they could get it done, I dropped it off Thursday morning of dixie run, wanted to pick it up Saturday morning on my way out of town. Not only did the guy not want to do it at all, when I picked it up it was still laying where I left it, never even touched it......

Damn, that sucks.

They've fixed 3 tires for me, never had an issue.

I've always dropped it off and picked up the next day or maybe 2 days later.

What do they charge? I have 2 tire shops in my company and was gonna see if I could start getting them to do it. Be good on big tractor tires as well!

Landers has done several tires for me they do a great job the reason you have to leave them is they have a guy that comes in on Thursdays to do their vulcanizing best to drop them off on or before wed so they can be sure the guy comes on Thursday probably doesn't come if they don't have tires to vulcanize as far as pricing 10 to 20 dollars more isn't much to complain about when you price new tires just saying

I've heard Landers is now up to $100, but that may be due to the size of the cut.

Like the price of everything, they have gone up over the years. Used to be $50, then $60, then $75.

With that being said, I've had a several done for myself and buddies, without any problems. And there is usually 4 or more tires sitting there to be fixed everytime I've gone.

351yj said:
I was thinking the same thing...I had hoped somebody would shed some light on this... (what is their process...)

This is a tire vulcanizing iron:

mYp3-SGjuOnCOcHQCzyrYPA.jpg

Here's a pic of a modern day electrical one, but it so close up that you can't see the entire thing, so that's why I posted the old-school on first:

869915899_swtLX-L.jpg

The place I used to take my tires to quit doing it because his iron broke and apparently they're really expensive. The place I go now is a big shop, they take the tire way in the back and I never see it. But the old place was small and you could stop by during the process and see it. He would apply a big giant patch to the inside of the tire called a boot. It was a thick, like 3/8". He would also melt down pure rubber and stuff it in the hole from the outside. He would then clamp the iron on, turn it on and let it heat up. It would take hours and hours. He would turn it on in the morning and the spot he was heating up would be done in the afternoon. He would then move the iron around and repeat the process to bake the entire boot, which was probably 8" or so square. Once the iron is clamped on its not a very involved process. You could let it sit and bake all day and do other things. But if I would have waited I would have had to have spent the night for a few nights. :)

There is a place in Columbia Tn may be closer to some of you guys called Stoney's. Pm me if you need their info got a buddy had several done there around $60.