• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Leaving it running...

London Gentleman

I have never understood why people leave there tow rigs running when they go to grocery stores and stuff like that. Sometimes leaving it running for hours or so. I know big trucks do, aside from running there generators for power and stuff. But aside from that I'm clueless. Care to explain?

I will let mine run a few minutes at the top of a long hill if I stop, just to let the tranny cool. (automatic)

Letting the turbo cool is a myth in my opinion. Leaving a deisel running like you describe started in the days when guys thought it took more fuel to start it than it did to let it run which in some cases may be true.
I think it's just a great way to get your truck stolen.:awesomework:

My brothers RX7 has a 5 minute timer (gassers take WAY longer and never cool off anywhere near as much as diesels, so letting a diesel "cool" is kinda pointless)... And it's not the quietest thing, rather annoying when he comes over and the kids are sleeping.. :rolleyes:

well yes letting it run while you go shopping is, my uncle runs and works on semi's says it is also to let the bearings in the turbo get plenty of lube.

To cool the turbo or the trans is good but but anything beyond that is not beneficial at all. it's one of those old school knuckle dragger myths.

Hot oil evaporates the water created from compressing and burning the air/fuel mixture and helps keep it out of the engine oil where it accellerates oxidation and shortens it's life.

no reason the bearings should get anymore lube by letting the truck idle..... You ever tried to poor oil into the inlet of a turbo? It's not like the turbo instantly drains of oil...

meaning it prolongs the bearings so they get a good lube. i am no desiel mech. thats just what i remember him telling me.

It's hard to comprehend those old knuckle draggers but maybe he meant prolonging the life of the bearings by letting them cool before shutdown.

if you want to leave your rig idling for prolonged periods then install a hour meter and base your drain intervals off of that

The same guy that will idle his truck for ever to keep wear and tear off the starter and to conserve fuel, will shut the rig off in a heartbeat to hear the mic when ordering a burger. :D

if you dont let a turbo (diesel or gas) cool down it will bake the oil in the bearings/ bushings pluging the passages. the big rigs leave theres running because cold starts are really hard on the cylinder walls/pistons and rings.

I will leave mine running if I am only going to be 10 minuts or less, If im any longer than that I shut it down. I have a 2002 dmax.

if you dont let a turbo (diesel or gas) cool down it will bake the oil in the bearings/ bushings pluging the passages. the big rigs leave theres running because cold starts are really hard on the cylinder walls/pistons and rings.

I will leave mine running if I am only going to be 10 minuts or less, If im any longer than that I shut it down. I have a 2002 dmax.

So at what temp do you shut down a turbo gasser? :corn:

Only a couple mins is needed to reduce turbo oil caulking and in all honesty, Turbo cool down is only necessary when you are being really hard on the car. The worst thing to do on a turbo rig and to shorten it's life is to sit on high/max boost for a period of time, then shut the rig off without proper cooldown. Of course some turbo's are better then others to prevent the burning of oil within itself. So giving an exact amount of time needed for cool down is nearly impossible.