• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Les' scaler

hlb3

Zombie Hunter
Well a few years ago I decided I wanted to build a scaler version of Land Cruiser, it never went real far, here was the thread I started way back then: http://warcrc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12147

Since my old shafty wasn't really suited for comps anymore I decided to revive the scaler project. It isn't an exact scaler, I went links instead of leafs, but the body and cage are as close as I could get them, it is even painted Rustoleum Safety Blue over the top of maroon, yellow, and black just like the original (the base coats were lexan paint).

I went with a GCM chassis, forward engine mount a t-case, it is running a 35t Holmes handwound motor and Sidewinder ESC with a 3s lipo, I've got some 1.9 Axial beadlocks with some Iroks mounted on them, and have a 3racing winch up front.

So here is the real deal...
4ee3064b.png

P1000945.jpg

b0248a70.jpg

Here is the scale version...
865e7628.jpg

66886ae9.jpg

a4e1d4a1.jpg

Thanks guys. :awesomework:

My mom's crawler needs a new ESC and I'm having a hard time getting everything crammed under the hood so I ordered an FXR to replace the Sidewinder, should free up a little space, going to put the Sidewinder in my mom's crawler.

A few more pics, put a few of the decals on it, looks a lot better.

c67ba071.jpg

6b9cd96c.jpg

The undercarriage.
feec00cc.jpg

That is sick Les, makes me want to build a scaler:redneck:

You should man, that would be sweet.

You missed a couple things... :redneck:

Lol, actually I am going to add some harnesses, going to use some zip ties I think, I just need to go get some hot pink and blue ones. I need to go get some action figures to put in there too. :redneck:

**Edit** Haha, I just noticed the mounts for the super awesome extendo mirrors, I think I will have to add those!

Took it out to the Skook today, worked pretty well, except I popped the driveshaft between the trans/t-case in about 5 minutes, I babied it after that and managed to keep it together for the rest of the day. I figured out that I do need to add a little weight to the wheels. I also had a few seams on the Styrene crack, so I got all those repaired when I got home.

dc5d0ac6.jpg

eeba18c0.jpg

I also got the front bumper finished, built my d-rings and mounts, turned out pretty sweet. Now I just need get one done for the rear.
b4c1dc08.jpg

Finished up all the little details last night...

Got the harnesses all done, added a fire extinguisher, jerry can, and a hi-lift.
62b4ceb8.jpg

Also added a CB antenna...
a13be30c.jpg

I also found somebody to drive the Cruiser for me...

THE MACHO MAN RANDY SAVAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (RIP)
daddd927.jpg

He fits perfectly, I used some neodymium magnets to keep him in place, one on the back of the seat and one glued inside his coat, then the lap belt on the harness latches with magnets also, worked out really well, easy to remove, but still very secure.

4229f196.jpg

7265ba0e.jpg

Took it out to the Skook today, everything seems to be working like it's suppose to. I ran it in the river a little, about 3/4 up the tire, sprayed some good rooster tails, it looks like my inner fenders do a great job keepin spray of of everything. I need to run it with some other scalers to see how it performs since I don't really know what most scalers are capable of. I think it is pretty much done, I added my d-rings to the rear and put on my (decrotive) tree saver. My magnetic restraint system also seemed to work perfectly, he stayed in place even after some very hard rolls.

d59bcbeb.jpg

6a784eaf.jpg

Here are some pics from out at the Skook last Sunday.

025-7.jpg

0619111347b.jpg

0619111506.jpg

She worked really well. At the end of the day my 8711 finally decided to pretty much crap, I have been having issues with it for a while now. I ordered a Hitec 7950 to replace it.

So today the servo and some other stuff showed up so I got everything all back together and ready to go for the comp on Sunday. Since the trans is so buried and such a PITA to get to, I decided I should probably beef it up, so I replaced all the gears with Robinson stuff. I pulled all the line that came with the winch off and pulled some 100lbs Tuf-Line off my sturgeon rod and spooled that up, I've got twice as much line on there now and it is taking up half the space, should work good. I also got another BEC hooked up to power the winch so now I don't have to deal with having the 2nd battery in there. I thought I was going to have a lot more room, but it seems more cluttered than it was before.

10lbs of crap in a 5lbs bag...
1a1e6f21.jpg

I think I will end up redoing it in the future, I have a few ideas on how to clean it up, but I didn't feel like tearing it all apart again. :redneck:

I'm a trader? What was I trading? :fawkdancesmiley:

I took her to her first comp on Sunday, ended up getting 2nd, was pretty happy with that. The only issue I had was a busted winch hook.

Some pics:

The group shot...
IMG_0480.jpg

Lined up for course 2...
DSC_0767.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

Was missing being able to do a front dig right here, but I was still able to get it cleanly through the gate...
DSC_0789.jpg

Right before pulling cable...
DSC_0791.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

DSC_0817.jpg

I took her to her first comp on Sunday, ended up getting 2nd, was pretty happy with that. The only issue I had was a busted winch hook.

Some pics:

The group shot...
IMG_0480.jpg

Lined up for course 2...
DSC_0767.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

DSC_0787.jpg

Was missing being able to do a front dig right here, but I was still able to get it cleanly through the gate...
DSC_0789.jpg

Right before pulling cable...
DSC_0791.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

DSC_0815.jpg

DSC_0817.jpg

Nice job on the 2nd place finish:awesomework: Your scaler is badass man, makes me want to build one lol.

Who took the pictures?

Saturday morning a few of us are gonna head out to that spot in Eatonville that I posted pictures of, if you wanna bring the 1.9 or scaler out your more than welcome to tag along.

A couple of the guys at the comp were taking the pics.

Cool, I'll have to see what I have going on, might have to head out there with ya.