• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lets talk suzuki / toyota

I ran stock sami axles front and rear for a long time. I did install the calmini birfield rigs and I ran 33" swampers. It also had a 4.16-1 t-case and 5.12 gears. The rear axle was a 'kick hybrid. This set-up worked great. However, I did break 1 birfield - tire in big hole wedged between a rock and tree stump - yes, it was a stupid move. I should have backed out and tried another line (ego and pride got in the way of being sensable). I could drive it to the trails and drive home again. You have to know the limits of your rig and drive accordingly. Hit the rev limiter, drop the clutch.........hear parts breaking......duh. I don't drive like that, I let the gears do the talking or walking as it may be.

However, I came across a pair of axles (Toyota) that needed some work. I got them, went through them and then installed them along with some other items.

Run what you got, if you come across a good deal, pick them up, take your time and go through everything. It is better to have a rig that is well put together, than one that is half :kissmyass: and breaking down on the trail.

Just my 2 cents worth.

get a toy front axle and toy ifs rear axle ,,,have someone lop 3 inchs off the pass side of the rear housing and add izuzu trooper rear disc.s and calipers and add the trooper master cylinder it bolt right up to the sami vac, can
the brakes will run you about 40.00 at pull a part also you gotta turn the wheel mounting plates down a 1/4 inch to fit the trooper rotors ,that will cost ya 25.00 at a machine shop also have carl jantze cut and respline the one axle thats 65.00......... its the best thing you can do to Beef up the SAMI

my advice is to add 4.88s or 5.29s

just my .02

no excuses said:
toy front

longs 30's
v6 hp diff w/ treated gears
arb
longs 4340 drive flanges
arp knuckle studs
mc high crossover steering
ram assist

toy rear

4340 axles
v6 dif.
disc breaks

:
x2 on that. In the sami you could really stay with the stock axles and 4 cylinder diff. I would just weld up the rear and 5.29 with disk brakes.

A lot depends on your driving style and what type of locker you are going to run.
I know people that have run 35's o stock axles & others can't run 31's.
Fact of life, how you drive & what you run can make or break you.
Pardon the pun :D
You also have to consider how much you want it to weigh.
More weight the more chances you have to break.

I know people with toy's and other than the offset issue in the back they have had good luck. If you have an issue you can always take care of that.
If you street it it may be an issue.
As for FJ axles I have not compared the the rears, but there is a lot of weight difference in the weight and size of the front. Go pick some up :corn:

I am running hybreds and they have there plus & minus facters.
Have I broke axles, yes. These were early axles (before the nice ones).
My spares that I broke (2 of the 3) were test axles. Already had a twist in them. Since the CM I have not had an issue. I am and have been running 33X12.5's. Axles have 4.62's and I started with a 4.16 then I went to 5.8 and soon will be going to 6.5's. I am also going to 34" or 35". If I start having an issue these axles will go into my next project.

I have been told the older Cherokee Chiefs axles were close and had the rigth offset??? I have not proved or disproved that one yet.

Gary :;

I guess - thats really my answer, That i've never broke a Birfield... ran a 1.3 w/ both ends locked using swampers (33's) on stock crap. i learned how to NOT stick the front tire in a bind or let it come down spinning...

but, running this Zuk as my past ones... i'm just thinking ahead.

it would be nice running this 1.6 16 valve w/ the 4to1 and getting a little heavier foot for once. guess i'm just looking for others word on it from thier build-up perspective of thier own Zuk's...

ZukPirate said:
I guess - thats really my answer, That i've never broke a Birfield... ran a 1.3 w/ both ends locked using swampers (33's) on stock crap. i learned how to NOT stick the front tire in a bind or let it come down spinning...

but, running this Zuk as my past ones... i'm just thinking ahead.

it would be nice running this 1.6 16 valve w/ the 4to1 and getting a little heavier foot for once. guess i'm just looking for others word on it from thier build-up perspective of thier own Zuk's...

Rich you are starting to scare me.Last time you got everyones opinion on what you needed to do to your jeep you put it up for sale the very next day.

Brian H said:
Rich you are starting to scare me.Last time you got everyones opinion on what you needed to do to your jeep you put it up for sale the very next day.

$12,500 Cash

oh, wait...... thats something else... *(wipes sweat off brow)

I ain't selling the Zuk, I'am bout to sell off every damn PC though. :D
no, i'm just gathering opinions from people that have actually done some upgrades to their Zuks front ends.

my Zuk is nice & safe... and it ain't going anywhere as far as selling it.

PawPrint said:

Dan did some nice work on that rig. Although your adding your own touches. Cool[/QUOTE]

Thx. I think it's going to turn out pretty nice in the Long Run, meanwhile it's ready to go and have some fun. no it's not a Rock Crawler, let me rephrase that... it's not a Boulder Crawler, it's small & underated, it's not liked by many, but it far excedes what i want at the moment & could afford to getty up and be going. and as time goes along, it will only get better.

good to see you haveing fun with it :cheer: It makes me happy :cheer:

pick up a toy front if you only going to run 34" tires you can run it stock stuff for a while so your not spending that much money on it.

and then i need to talk to you about a reat i have not done one yet but after doing some math (wow whatz that) i got some cool stuff to show you.

anyone eles can pm me for detals :stirpot:

ZukPirate said:
Can you add input to this;

I have a suzuki samurai - w/ 1.6 16 valve, 5speed, 4to1 T/C, either 4.62's or 5.12's (<--haven't confirmed which gear set) Shackle reverse w/ the Yj springs, SPOA & stretched W/B, power steering, stock F sami axle, Hybrid R sami/kick axle, DCDS's, 33inch tires <

---------------------------

I'am looking for the Obvious that i might not be seeing... such as axle strength or upgrades or a complete F/R axle swap altogether.

I'am not planning on going bigger in the tire dept. *34in max swampers, because they come in the 10.5 range. i just want that sense of security & fact of knowing... the Zuk is stout & won't be breaking.

so i guess maybe, a toyota axle swap is likely - unless others have a idea / opinion, Birfield rings? stronger sami axles? etc? vs toyota axles & upgrades to them?

Thanks ahead of time.... :;

if you sell your axle gears or wanna re-gear your Tcase i am interested in buying what you have

I say just wheel it. People spend too fawking much time thinking about ****. Get out in the dirt and wheel it. If you are worried about busting something, get smaller tires.

EDIT: and what are those wheels? 15x10 w/2" bs?

Latest posts