• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Life span of D44 with 37's ??

True but once you get down into some low gears 513s and down you have much less pinion teeth and even though you may have a "longer" tooth you may have only one pinion tooth in contact with the ring gear at any given time.

true as with any gear set. That why I am using 4:56s and picking up some low range in the TC with the bronco gear swap. For the wheeling we do it will be fine.

Gotta remember that 99% of the time a 44 breaks the axle shafts before the RnP. Usually in the U-joint/ear area.
The only exception to that is Dana 44 HP REAR ends. Most people that I know that have used 44 HP rear units have suffered multiple gear failures.

Seen it time and time again, as common sense goes out the window when making the obsticle becomes more important.:;

I did many a many things with my 44 and it lived----you gotta be smart :awesomework:

Ran the hammers on a 44 :awesomework:

I did many a many things with my 44 and it lived----you gotta be smart :awesomework:

Ran the hammers on a 44 :awesomework:
Like I said if you wheel like a girl it will live:haha: :D . Me on the other hand heard the BOOM too many times, as I sometimes have a love affair with the skinny peday. But I place blame on Robin for that. I cannot ever place the blame on myself offcourse:; .:redneck:

True but once you get down into some low gears 513s and down you have much less pinion teeth and even though you may have a "longer" tooth you may have only one pinion tooth in contact with the ring gear at any given time.
You know the funny thing is that when I was building my HP44 front everyone asked WHY??? So far I have broken TWO (2) D60 ring gears to ZERO D44 anything. Yes I have a HP60 in the rear but I am also not a high HP engine. My Jeep is a little Porkey but that is about it.

So my experiance is this, I have seen a D30 live with 37" tires. My D44 has lived with 35" tires to this point. I am stepping up to 38" tire next so we will see how long it will live and I'll report back.

HP has nothing to do with it, it's torque. Don't you have a doubler?

OK EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!ME I don't have a high HP/Torque engine!:fawkdancesmiley:

Nope no doubler just a STaK box. BUT the point again is that the HP44 has lived just fine but I have broken TWO HP60 ring gears. I am breaking the the teeth off.

Please forgive my ignorance, but is everyone talking stock 44 axle shafts or hi zoot chromos ? I have busted the ears off stokers, and have popped ujoins with no damage to chromos. just woundering? Any thoughts on a "fusable link" ?

Please forgive my ignorance, but is everyone talking stock 44 axle shafts or hi zoot chromos ? I have busted the ears off stokers, and have popped ujoins with no damage to chromos. just woundering? Any thoughts on a "fusable link" ?

Well for my TJ I am using Alloy USA shafts and stock u-joints so far. If and when I break a u-joint I'll be replace with Alloy USA joints.

Torque/torque multiplication is WAY more destructive than HP....
Yes but.....
Horsepower tends to allow you to blast up some places a squirrel motor and 200-1 gear reduction just won't go. Bonzai runs, bouncing and HP frequently = BOOM!

OK EXCUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!ME I don't have a high HP/Torque engine!:fawkdancesmiley:

Nope no doubler just a STaK box. BUT the point again is that the HP44 has lived just fine but I have broken TWO HP60 ring gears. I am breaking the the teeth off.

It's not because the D44 is superior to a D60. It's because one of three things (or a combination) is coming into play with your rear axle: bad gear setup, bent housing, the fact that it's a high pinion axle in the rear. It sounds like you're defending the D44 by saying "see, I broke two sets of faulty/incorrectly setup D60 high pinion gear sets in a questionable housing", which doesn't make any damn sense at all.

The stak is effectively the same thing as a doubler, but all the gear reduction happens in one case, and a V8 is considered a high HP/torque engine, even if it's not hopped up, especially if you have any kind of extra gear reduction. Get a solid rear axle in that thing, put some big tires on it (not 35's), and see how long that D44 lasts. :; I'll put money on the D44 breaking with 38's or larger BEFORE a low pinion D60 out back.

Just an fyi

I am running a HP44 from a 78 F-150, cut down to Bronco length so I can run off the shelf axles. I have Chromo-axles and Bobby Long Joints. 4.56 gears and Warn Hubs. I am running 39.5-13.5 Iroc radials. I have no problem with doing front burns.

right now the weak link is the Warn Hubs.

I had a run of bad Warn outer stub axles, but have switched to Yukon and that has stopped.

I have one chip in the ring gear from shock loading in reverse, but after 2 years it is still holding fine.

I guess the thing is your driving style. If people can talk you into doing things, don't bother with the 44.

If you drive for yourself and use common sense, you will do fine.