• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Life span of D44 with 37's ??

It's not because the D44 is superior to a D60. It's because one of three things (or a combination) is coming into play with your rear axle: bad gear setup, bent housing, the fact that it's a high pinion axle in the rear. It sounds like you're defending the D44 by saying "see, I broke two sets of faulty/incorrectly setup D60 high pinion gear sets in a questionable housing", which doesn't make any damn sense at all.

The stak is effectively the same thing as a doubler, but all the gear reduction happens in one case, and a V8 is considered a high HP/torque engine, even if it's not hopped up, especially if you have any kind of extra gear reduction. Get a solid rear axle in that thing, put some big tires on it (not 35's), and see how long that D44 lasts. :; I'll put money on the D44 breaking with 38's or larger BEFORE a low pinion D60 out back.

Nope not defending the D44 just pointing out that all the nah sayers told me I would break my HP44 first!! And I am going to put some BIG tires on my Jeep. Next up is a 38X12.50X16.5 TSL SX on modified Hummer rims. What if anything being wrong with my rear housing will be know here real soon. I am taking it to a shop to be checked out. If the housing is okay then new gears will be installed.

The DAMN sense I am making is this: I was told I'll break my HP44 front axle before I EVER think of breaking the HP60 rear axle. Now I have broken it TWICE and ever one says "How in the hell are you doing that with 35" tires and a STOCK 5.2?" So I'll say it again. I have not broken ANYTHING on my HP44 YET but have broken 2 ring gears on my HP60 rear. Plain and simple!

The DAMN sense I am making is this: I was told I'll break my HP44 front axle before I EVER think of breaking the HP60 rear axle. Now I have broken it TWICE and ever one says "How in the hell are you doing that with 35" tires and a STOCK 5.2?" So I'll say it again. I have not broken ANYTHING on my HP44 YET but have broken 2 ring gears on my HP60 rear. Plain and simple!

if your housing wasnt ****ed you wouldnt have broken it :flipoff:

I didn't read the thread, and I'm not going too. But I curently have a 44 under my truck I'm putting a 60 together currently.

I ran 38.5 Boggers for a couple years on my D44, its welded and I'm running junk yard shafts with spicer u-joints. I broke one axle shaft and that was a dumb situation. I slid into a rock on a steep down hill decent, all the weight was on the front of the truck, i tried to back out instead of getting winched. I felt it bind up and I throttled it anyway, and it sheered the shaft at the splines going into the carrier.

if your careful with them then sure a D44 will survive. But I'm not a careful person, I tend to get into the throttle once in a while and so I'm building a 60 for some insurance. :redneck:

Well I dropped the CRD 60 housing off this weekend to get the new gears installed. And the HOUSING IS NOT ****ED!!!! It is fine and I will be picking it up in two weeks.

So its just your driving style then:eeek: :haha: :haha:

How did they check it? I hope you didn't have the same guy do the gears again.

He checked the tubes, then the pinion depth. Is also going to check the ARB for runout. When I dropped it off he just did a quick check to see if everything lined up. As he installs the gears he is going to be checking everything in more detail.

No so far each set of gears have been done by a different person.
The first set were done by a shop in Calif. The second set were done local. Now it is being done in Spokane by www.AllJeep.com . He feels from looking at the pattern on both broken gear sets that there was an install issue.

And YES Jim it is my driving style.:looser: :flipoff: :fawkdancesmiley:

So here is the thread over on Pirate with some pictures and a good write up as to what he has found so far.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585334

Last edited:
I obviously haven't been around to see this post. Otherwise I would have posted up earlier. I have been running a D44 with Chromoly's, a Detroit, with 38's and 39's and I break every time I go out. If I stay on the road to Isabel, or do Sac-up, it breaks about every other time I go out. If I go out to have any kind of fun, I break within minutes of going out. A D44 is great for 33's, maybe 35's. You cannot have fun and wheel a D44 with bigger tires, regardless of your driving abilities. Did I mention this is a worn out 200k+ mi. 4 cylinder YJ. My AX-5 has stood up to more abuse than the POS D44. I am considering pulling the D60 out of my F350, and replacing it with the AAM front I have, and putting the D60 in my YJ.

You guys should have went with a HP30:fawkdancesmiley: :haha: been running one for 3-4 years with 36's, only broken one u-joint which took out the inner and outer axle ears, the u-jiont was old and needed replacing...:eeek: And it's not like i'm easy on it all the time either, I don't have a police motor in it for nothing:redneck: :haha: :haha: :haha:

edit: on a more serious note though, this all has me worried (a little not much, because i know my driving style, shouldn't allow too much carnage) that you guys are saying that a D44 can only handle 33-35's... I just figured they could at least handle 35-37s no problem, I'm going to be running 39's on mine with a full spool (would have done a lock-rite, but for the price i got mine alerady setup, i couldn't pass it up:awesomework:

And if you're breaking on the road up izzy??? there is something wrong, either with the axle itself...or your right foot:fawkdancesmiley: :haha: . I have seen stock samuari's/jeeps up past the log bridge...:eeek:

Last edited:
A D44 is great for 33's, maybe 35's. You cannot have fun and wheel a D44 with bigger tires, regardless of your driving abilities.

That is a very bold statement considering there there are hundreds of people out there doing what you say in not possible...

what it should say is " I " cannot have fun and wheel a D44 with bigger tires...