• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Link Size

I was running 1.75" .375" wall chromo in the front...they bent the 1st time I hit them.

Running 2" solid Aluminum lowers in the front now and no issues. Came down on them a few times in Moab last week pretty hard and no bending.

On my TJ i had a rear triangulated 4 link with 2" solid lowers and 1.75" solid uppers, i had 2" solid on all the front 3 links. 1.75" solid panhard bar. They were drilled and tapped for the bushings and heims to thread in. The lowers were also bent to gain clearance, and clear the front tires at full turn.

Last edited:
1-3/4" .250 wall dom with 1-1/4" solid inside. Basically 1-3/4" solid.....Bend like pretzels constantly. I'm replacing the lowers soon with something else.

I was running 1.75" .375" wall chromo in the front...they bent the 1st time I hit them.

Running 2" solid Aluminum lowers in the front now and no issues. Came down on them a few times in Moab last week pretty hard and no bending.

So how are your johny joints setup brad? I assume you have ones with male thread?

I gotta redo mine after this summer and thinking of going this route with JJ joints...

fawk you guys should just buy some cheap 2x2 box tube. it seems to hold up just fine to 53s and over 7000#s, and did I mention its not exactly in the 9-15 dollar a foot range either.

2 inch 120 wall dom slid over 1.75 250 wall dom they hae held up great with squirrel power now we will see what happens with ls1 power

how many people have tried 2x2 sqaure .250wall? i have seen it used by a few people on there lowers seemed to hold up good. just wondering if anybody besides chop shop has tried it and what the think of it?

Are you smashing your's onto rock's?

mostly rocks and old telephone poles and some mazdas, a lincoln, 2 toyotas and a bunck of old culverts. I havent been beating it in this configuration for too long but I am kinda hard on it. I found a new dent in the rockwell diff cover the other day.

the box tube is stronger than the same tube (2x2x.25wallsquare vs2x.25wall tubing) the square is a little tougher to get on a JJ though, unless you use the threaded ones. I would never build my trailer ramps of round tube would you?

why do wheelers spend so much to use round tube on links? they dont do this in the building industry or for equipment. the cost is way to high. why not use a materal suited for the strenght required, not high priced

go out in the shop and grab a full stick of round 2 inch.120wall tubing in the mibble, notice the droop from the ends?

now grab a full stick of 2x2x.120 wall box, then pick it up from the middle, notice the droop? big difference.
this is the same force applied when parked on a rock with the middle of the link, right?

now turn it so its diamond shaped, wow even stronger. and cool looking and slides easily.

I used the .120wall for comparison only ( I didnt know if darius could pick up a full stick of 2x2x 250 wall).:haha: :haha:

whats the benefit to using round tube?? lighter wallet? less hip fatigue?:beer:

you have the Branick ones right? those things look sick, how much they run?
$110 online, is that about right?

Do you have johnny joints on both ends or just the axle?

Johnny Joints on both ends of the front lowers and 3/4" Heims on the single upper and pan-hard.

Yep, Branik, found'em on Pirate...pretty good customer service and shipped on time too :awesomework:

go out in the shop and grab a full stick of round 2 inch.120wall tubing in the mibble, notice the droop from the ends?

now grab a full stick of 2x2x.120 wall box, then pick it up from the middle, notice the droop? big difference.
this is the same force applied when parked on a rock with the middle of the link, right?

now turn it so its diamond shaped, wow even stronger. and cool looking and slides easily.

I used the .120wall for comparison only ( I didnt know if darius could pick up a full stick of 2x2x 250 wall).:haha: :haha:

whats the benefit to using round tube?? lighter wallet? less hip fatigue?:beer:

You do have a point, but it just look's so gay, it's all about looking cool right?

I've gotta cut down the 2x 1/8" wall to half stick's just so I can carry them to the bender, I'm not too big on strength.:mad: