• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Little Gibby's 45 MB

Oh ya--forward progress...

So after a bunch of work I finally got the crossmember/skid built.

gmb259.jpg

gmb260.jpg

Bolted up to double check final fitment :awesomework:

gmb261.jpg

gmb262.jpg

Since the t-case had a nice mount on the side one thing I fought in my design was trying to incorpurate that into the cross member and still have room for the mount at the frame. This should add a bunch of strength.

gmb263.jpg

So now that the center of the cross member was done it was time to work on the frame side. Marked my locations and then pulled the tranny/t-case back out.

gmb264.jpg

Again I sat there on my back inhailing OLD rusty dust (yuk) and made plates. I ended up counter sinking the plates 1/8" inboard of the edge of the frame rails. I did this for a couple reasons.

The first being the body sits directly on the frame and there is a layer of metal on top/bottom of the frame with rust in etween it and would make for a VERY pourous weld. So I was able to get a good weld between the plate and the main portion of the frame--ok it welded good but doesn't look good (IMO). I also chose to do it in this manner since the tubework is tied into the frame like it is that should minimize any flex to the frame/ causing it to tear apart (like you see).

gmb265.jpg

So I got the tranny back in and started on the crossmember mounts when I ran outa steam.. But I am getting there...

I drove ONE that was ......A friend of mine did that with his engine mounts on his Sami---I took one look at it, and ran back to the house real quick (not telling him where I was going), and grabbed two original mounts--- Ran back & told him "Here, get those outta there!!!" :haha:

Ok I have been cracking away at this every second I can.

I finally got the brackets cut and the mounts made.

gmb266.jpg

Then got the tub notched and mounts welded to the cross member.

gmb267.jpg

Then I was able to get the brackets tacked in place and pulled the tranny back out. Once out I burned the mounts in and threw some paint on them.

gmb268.jpg

Then came a fun part--pulled new parts out of the boxes and threw all the clutch stuff in--was nice to have everything bolt up/fit as it should.

gmb269.jpg

So back in the tranny went. This time was a little more of battle with having all the clutch stuff in it--but she went finally...

So I threw the new x-member in and finally its stilling on its own weight..

I have to pull it out again so I can drill a couple drain holes and throw paint on it once I get new bolts for it. But it really did turn out nice and the fitment is dead on.

gmb270.jpg

gmb271.jpg

SO next I went and started throwing all the stuff on the front of the motor so I can get the cross tubes done up.

gmb272.jpg

Ok I got my shop cleaned and the rig moved and started looking at the last stateg of engine tube work.

Ok lets get some more stuff for me.

I need hydro clutch parts.

For the clutch master one off a 69 Toyota FJ40

For the slave and hose off a 71 toyota FJ40

I am still trying to figure out a rad for it (hoping to have that finally figured out tonight).

For the headlights I was looking at the stock buckets--and between the hack job on the grill and the headlamp buckets---what a mess. I am thinking if we could get some sort of a 6" off road lamp with how I did the tube work I could easily make mounts for them to set in the stock headlamp holes.

But I will have the shop cam on tonight and out trying to get some more tube work figured out.

Oh and I got your PM just haven't had a chance to get to any of my pm's..

For the headlights I wouldn't mess with offroad lights. They don't have a good beam pattern so they are blinking to oncoming drivers. First gen yota headlight buckets bolt on so it is simple to make them work plus they offer adjustability. If you only have room for smaller headlights early import trucks with 4 5 1/4" headlights have bolt on buckets too. I actually have a spare set of smaller ones if you want them. I'm headed your way in the near future again. :D

Ok I got my shop cleaned and the rig moved and started looking at the last stateg of engine tube work.

Ok lets get some more stuff for me.

I need hydro clutch parts.

For the clutch master one off a 69 Toyota FJ40

For the slave and hose off a 71 toyota FJ40

I am still trying to figure out a rad for it (hoping to have that finally figured out tonight).

For the headlights I was looking at the stock buckets--and between the hack job on the grill and the headlamp buckets---what a mess. I am thinking if we could get some sort of a 6" off road lamp with how I did the tube work I could easily make mounts for them to set in the stock headlamp holes.

But I will have the shop cam on tonight and out trying to get some more tube work figured out.

Oh and I got your PM just haven't had a chance to get to any of my pm's..

I have another grill here that doesn't have the chopped headlights, so leave that for now. I'm going to redo that when I get it home.

Don't forget that when you finish the tube work, I want to bring it home with the engine, transmission and t-case out. I'm going to do some body work, fix the grill and replace the windshield mount. When that's all done, the entire body, frame etc is going to get rhino lined, or something like that. Then I'll bring it back to you to have you stick the drivetrain back in, then finish the plumbing and wiring.

So, I'm not to worried about getting the clutch parts quite yet. Just need to get the tube work and mounting brackets all done. That would include the radiator.

I have another grill here that doesn't have the chopped headlights, so leave that for now. I'm going to redo that when I get it home.

Don't forget that when you finish the tube work, I want to bring it home with the engine, transmission and t-case out. I'm going to do some body work, fix the grill and replace the windshield mount. When that's all done, the entire body, frame etc is going to get rhino lined, or something like that. Then I'll bring it back to you to have you stick the drivetrain back in, then finish the plumbing and wiring.

So, I'm not to worried about getting the clutch parts quite yet. Just need to get the tube work and mounting brackets all done. That would include the radiator.

I just wanna get all the metal work done before you go paintin it up :D