• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Loose Pinion Bearing

mark

Kind of funny posting right after someone with a stuck pinion bearings.

Doing a D60 set-up for a friend. I got the old pinion bearing off the old pinion, it was on there pretty good but it came off OK. Slide it over the "new" pinion and it slides right on, NO friction, I'd even say it was loose.

Unfortunately I don't have another bearing to try (I thought I had a new set around here, but it must be in storage). Before I run to the part store, even if the "new" bearing is loose on the pinion, what to do? It a trail pig only, so no real freeway time, so I'm tempted to lock-tite it can run it, or is that just failure waiting to happen? Is he looking at new gears or????

:beer:

Take the pinion and bearings to the parts store and test a new one there in front of them, with some dial calipers compare the I.D.'s. and O.D. of the pinion. I personally wouldnt want to risk a loose bearing on a new pinion. That's asking for trouble.

Are these old gears?

A $60 bearing is cheaper than a new gearset and a dead truck on the trail... :stirpot:

If it slips over with no press fit...I would not trust it...Pinion bearings should be press fit...not slip fit...

Latest posts