• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Lower kingpin rebuild

onepieceatatime

I like turtles...
Took my outer knuckle off to get it plated and kinda inspect everything. When I was taking it apart the lower bearing came out in pieces. Guessing it's original and older than I am. I ordered a lower rebuild kit that comes with bearing, race, and seal. Problem is I can't get the old race out. I'm thinking of putting a little heat to it and then hammering on it but with my lack of experience I figured it's best to ask first.
0d01d7c601ff7b51b7a96d6be5ba4ff7.jpg

Guess I cheated, my race looked good, so I left it and just replaced the bearing. But, it looks like you have gone past that point.

If youre handy with a chisel and a hammer you could cut the race in half. Never done that on a king pin C before but have on about everything else. I wouldnt think heat would hurt it though as long as you didnt get it too hot.

Re: Re: Re: Lower kingpin rebuild

wap13 said:
If youre handy with a chisel and a hammer you could cut the race in half. Never done that on a king pin C before but have on about everything else. I wouldnt think heat would hurt it though as long as you didnt get it too hot.
Good idea. Everything is screwed up because when I went to take it apart the lower kingpin wouldn't not come down no matter what I tried so I had to go from the top and beat it down which destroyed the seal. I could probably get away using the old race but it has to come out to get the new seal in.

Mine was a huge pain in the ass. It took a 12 pack of beer and lots of hammering but they came out eventually.

I have seen people weld a bead around the race and it pretty much falls out. It might be a better option with keeping the heat just on the race and not the "C"Hope this helps

If you can weld it and cool it with a wet rag it most likely will fall out. You can also heat it with a torch and cool it.

Might try dry ice on new race. Once you get started you gotta go though.

Find an old socket to beat it in with.

Put your new races in the freezer now. They will actually shrink a little when frozen. Use a socket as already mentioned to drive it in. If you use a punch be careful not to get it cockeyed.
Take the races straight from the freezer to the axle and they should go in easily.

BMWhittle53009 said:
I have seen people weld a bead around the race and it pretty much falls out. It might be a better option with keeping the heat just on the race and not the "C"Hope this helps

Thank you for this little nugget of wisdom. Never heard of that before and always glad to learn something new. Gona have to try that when I rebuild mine.

Dry ice get a lot colder then the freezer. I know at the grocery store here you can get it for .99 on the way out. Get a small cooler and sit it right next to rig. Freezer will work also but dry ice is the ****.

Latest posts