• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ls motors

tommy450r

I know guys this has been talked about alot here lately but I just finished up my bouncer build an I need more motor. That said how hard is it to get a solid 500 horse out of a 5.3? What all will I need to change? I was thinking grab a set of trick flow heads an get a cam kit from comp. An idk what else after that. Who would be a good person to contact about this an steer me in the right direction?

Call Texas speed they know their ****... Heads, cam and proper tuning should get you to your 500 mark pretty dependably

Re: Ls motors

tommy450r said:
Oh I don't wanna run any power adders all motor. I can't fit anything else in my chassis.

Who is lane Culver?
Lane builds and tunes motors and is one of the best with LS stuff. He's done a lot of work for the guys on here and me as well several years ago and still satisfied with mine. He's right outside of Huntsville Ala.

Humpy said:
Call Texas speed they know their ****... Heads, cam and proper tuning should get you to your 500 mark pretty dependably

this

got some of their stuff in my 6.0 thumb.gif

tommy450r said:
That said how hard is it to get a solid 500 horse out of a 5.3? What all will I need to change? I was thinking grab a set of trick flow heads an get a cam kit from comp. An idk what else after that. Who would be a good person to contact about this an steer me in the right direction?

I would definitely be careful who I talked to. Big difference in a true 500hp motor and what 95% of people that say they have 500hp. I would think 400 is doable with what you mentioned.
My 2c. Only way I see it being a good idea to get a 5.3 to a true 500 is with forced induction. Something let's go then put another cheap long block in and go. Would take a very hot built 5.3 to get there. A 6.0 will be much easier to make a reliable motor and would still take some work. Would be interesting to see what it took to make 500 on a accurate dyno.

I'm with you. I don't see you getting 500 without some Pistons and heads. Most people with cam and tunes only get around 400 flywheel power

Re:

500 naturally aspirated hp out of a 5.3 isnt going to happen without some big heads and big cam but that power is only gunna be at like 65+ rpm

Find you a tuner you like and do what they say. If you can get 500hp out of a 5.3 without forced induction please post up how.

5.3's love boost...you could do a roots style S/C and make good power through the whole RPM range, instead of a big cam & heads that only makes power up top. 500 hp on a NA 5.3 is asking a lot!

DB Performance in Spring Hill TN has done some late model LS cars for a few of my friends, and they always have some badass ls stuff that they are building or tuning. They dyno tune also, not just guess and hope for the best.

But yeah, you're probably looking at a supercharger to get 500 from that small of displacement.

A roots style blower doesn't take up any more room than a truck manifold and most of them have the intake in the rear/side, which is usually nice in a buggy.

But it is major money to put a supercharger on one, he would be better of changing gearing, and will probably see more of a difference.

It's also major money to do a cam and head work to get 500 hp NA. These LS motors ain't like a SBC where you can just slide a cam in and call it good :****: