• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Ls motors

Thanks for the input so far guys I'm gonna make a few phone calls tomorrow an see what I can figure out...

I've got a hook on a ly6 6.0 from a 08 2500hd I may just do that. :dunno: I'm still trying to figure out where I wanna end up money wise.

Re:

A good heads cam 6l can get you closer to your goal .. easy to get a 450 horse engine and have usable power

It kills me all the ppl I see with 500hp cam only ls engine rigs.. just because its loud and makes that boogedy boogedy noise doesnt make 500hp lol

Re:

Like everyone said, 500 on a 5.3 is a tall order without some forced induction.

The amount of money it will cost is not worth it when a 6.0 or 6.2 with the l92 heads can get there a lot easier. L92 heads with a little work can do a lot.

Call Martin at Tick Performance. They took my l92 engine and made it into a 416 with 13.4 compression. Without roller rockers, port and polish, and other things I'm looking at 630hp range at the crank turning up to 7200 rpm. Bottom could turn harder but I would float the valves first. They know there stuff and present on the ls1 tech forum. When I go back and play with the heads I'll be in the low 7's hp.

Re:

Bumpers said:
A good heads cam 6l can get you closer to your goal .. easy to get a 450 horse engine and have usable power

It kills me all the ppl I see with 500hp cam only ls engine rigs.. just because its loud and makes that boogedy boogedy noise doesnt make 500hp lol

My roommate had an LS1 WS6 Trans Am (6spd) that made 420 HP to the rear wheels (close to 500 crank I'd guess...) with just a cam/springs/rockers/pushrods/exhaust

It was damn near un driveable and the powerband was like a 2 stroke dirt bike.

We put a milder cam in it with a better torque profile and retuned it, it FELT much stronger and ran faster on the 1/8 mile than the bigger more "powerful" cam.

Tommy, shoot for a 400 HP 5.3 (cam/valvetrain/ported heads/tune) and you'll be happy and have a very driveable rig.

Another option is Sam Duffin out of N. Georgia, his wife runs the clean room for engine rebuilds and he installs and runs the dyno. Contact phone # is 423-605-2083

Jsanders said:
Another option is Sam Duffin out of N. Georgia, his wife runs the clean room for engine rebuilds and he installs and runs the dyno. Contact phone # is 423-605-2083

Sam did my turbo set up, good guy to work with.

hink311 said:
Gen 1 motors. If I'm wrong then why is Tim running one
Lane Culver tuned this motor for him His shop is closed this week for vacation if you end up using power adder he is well know for that type of work also culverautospecialites.com !

Lane is good people he did the tune on my cam'd 5.3 and I love it great power great throttle response also I was able to dyno tune with 43's
Those numbers are with a junk yard 2001 5.3 with a 220/220 cam th350 atlas and 4.10 w/43sx I am guessing motor alone should be making close to 400 hp

I'm gonna give lane a call an see what he says.

nick I'm thinking about just throwing a cam an a little bit of head work at my little 4.8 for now an building the Ly6 6.0 Ive found over the winter so i dont miss riding season this year. i just finished up my buggy an i havent even got to ride it yet. but i can tell just by riding in the yard I'm going to need more motor.

I'm running th350 np205 an 4.56 in the axles. I don't wanna go lower in the axles an I know I need lower tcase gears that's next on my list after I get the motor done.

Pretty much what I'm trying to say is I wanna swap to a hero case after I finish my motor an 14 bolt front

I would definitely look at different t-case bc even with a 6.0, ls motors don't make good low end torque they really like the high rev's. Swap to a 3.8 for a 6.0 or a 4.3 for your 4.8 and it will be good mix of low end and wheel speed with the high rpm's of the ls

jccarter1 said:
I would definitely look at different t-case bc even with a 6.0, ls motors don't make good low end torque they really like the high rev's. Swap to a 3.8 for a 6.0 or a 4.3 for your 4.8 and it will be good mix of low end and wheel speed with the high rpm's of the ls

I have a 3.8 atlas and it's almost too low with the 5.38s in the diffs. my 6.0 rips pretty good in high range.

wish Ihad an OD trans sometimes for low range (th350 now)

just food for though

Re: Ls motors

tommy450r said:
Does anyone know where a used atlas 3.8 for a th350 is?? Lol
I think Neal3000 does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk