• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

LS or SBC

The last "production" big block was made in Tonowanda (sp?) in 2009. I don't know what that means for GM Performance Crate engines. It means that you will never see a big block in a production vehicle again though.

J. J.
[/quote] they also said you would never see the camaro again :driving:

Big blocks are history. Why woukd you bring something back that costs more to make, thats a **** ton less efficient, and cannot make any more power? Bye bye big block. Everyone now...." nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, gooooooooooooooooodbyyyyyyyeeeeeee."

how do you get 800 cubic inches and over 5000 hp out of a small block top fuel cant do it how do you :popcorn:

traveler said:
how do you get 800 cubic inches and over 5000 hp out of a small block top fuel cant do it how do you :popcorn:

You don't. Top fuel doesn't do it with any production block either. Nor is anybody here trying.

'Course, NHRA top fuel is't using 800 CID, either. Their CID is limited to 500 according to NHRA rules.

And 500 CID is possible out of a production LS2 block: http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/tech/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/0904chp_500ci_chevy_ls1_engine_build/index.html

Has also been done many many times with old-school SBC's ...

So how does your statement apply here again?

J. J.

how does your statement apply nobody is doing a 500 inch small block either i said 800 inch and how do know nobody is not oh thats right you know everything you want to be from cali :flipoff1:

Naw, no pecker here. I just don't see the train of thought here. No one was talking about top fuel and NHRA top fuel engines are limited to 500 CID, nowhere near 800. Top fuel engines really aren't big or small blocks. They're machined billet blocks, no water passages, same with the heads. Completely custom items. But its the internet and discussion is open. So if we're talking about top fuel now, that's fine by me.

Just the logic in the sudden switch, to me, is like the punctuation in traveler's posts ... nonexistent.

Oh, and I don't have to wish I was from Cali. I was born there in Walnut Creek just outside of San Diego. Moved when I was two and did most of my growing up in GA. GA is where I learned literacy. Maybe traveler needs to travel there. :flipoff1:

J. J.

blacksheep10 said:
Totally dependent on what platform you buy in on. Most of the guys around here (offroad world) start with a truck 6.0 and go from there. With a cam swap and some parts changing and dyno tuning, 500 is very realistic from that platform and it will do that for lots of years to come. If you want to spend a few more $, go get a new truck 6.2 liter vvt motor, buy MAST's computer and harness with their cam and be at 510 honest at the crank with pretty much no changing of anything or setup (except cam swap). It is amazing that you can now take a stock long block out of a plain jane pickup truck and swap a cam and computer and put down over 500 horse without blinking and eye. Brian Shirley did this in his new buggy and I've never seen a rig light the tires as fast as his does. instant smoke and OMG laughing1

I own an 06 LS2 Vette thats fixing to get the heads/cam/intake and dyno tune that should be a little over high 400's to 500 RWHP and close to 580ish or more at the crank. Stock it puts down 340is at the rear wheels running the 6L80E A6, ran a 12.69 1/4 completely stock. Have a friend with an 06 Z06 Cam only car with exahust and intake tune thats puttin out 575 RWHP and 640ish at the crank. Course I'm sure those motors are alot more expensive than the truck motors. I say look for a wrecked VETTE and get the motor, harness and computer. Another friend bought a LS3 that was stroked to a 427 and put a 2.8ltr KB charger on it making about 700RWHP in a new camaro. Youtube has several vid's of a BONE STOCK Z06 all the way down to the filter thats was running slicks......and pulled 10.74 in the 1/4. The same guy put down a 10.73 in the ZR1 vette on street tires. Best bang for the buck by far is the LS7 in my opinion. So you figure, an LS2 with heads, cam, intake, dyno tuned with good gearing in the axles......what more would you really need?

patooyee said:
Naw, no pecker here. I just don't see the train of thought here. No one was talking about top fuel and NHRA top fuel engines are limited to 500 CID, nowhere near 800. Top fuel engines really aren't big or small blocks. They're machined billet blocks, no water passages, same with the heads. Completely custom items. But its the internet and discussion is open. So if we're talking about top fuel now, that's fine by me.

Just the logic in the sudden switch, to me, is like the punctuation in traveler's posts ... nonexistent.

Oh, and I don't have to wish I was from Cali. I was born there in Walnut Creek just outside of San Diego. Moved when I was two and did most of my growing up in GA. GA is where I learned literacy. Maybe traveler needs to travel there. :flipoff1:

J. J.
been there didnt care for the people but very cool scenery!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tbacon38 said:
Yeah you can bet your ass that will never happen dam man my sister in laws grocery better has a ls in it, when you talk about bumping the compression what are you going to go to, and I see your numbers are at the crank not on the ground putting mine on a chassis dyno in a month or so I will let you know what it puts to the ground not at the crank, I can already see this is a endless battle so you run what you got and I will always run what I got so I'm letting it be at that, I will start a thread with my numbers so check it out when you see it.

Have you been able to find a dyno yet that'll hold dat der bad mammajamma BBC down long enough to put out some numbers or are you blowing them all up? Sumbitchllrev! :woot: :popcorn:

redneckengineered said:
Have you been able to find a dyno yet that'll hold dat der bad mammajamma BBC down long enough to put out some numbers or are you blowing them all up? Sumbitchllrev! :woot: :popcorn:
No not yet but soon, been working a ton here lately aint even started it since grey rock was planning on tearing it down to powdwrcoat it this week finally catching a break at work, but did find a guy in decatur, tn that said he could do it for me so I was planning on taking it up there after powder.

Hate to beat a dead horse but pick up a new hot rod magazine they put twin turbos on what they thought was a 5.3 "but it was a 4.8" boost ranging from 7psi to 28 it made 1203hp it had over 60 passes on a dyno it was all stock except for a cam and they changed the gap on the piston rings
do that with a stock old school BBC or SBC

payne97 said:
Hate to beat a dead horse but pick up a new hot rod magazine they put twin turbos on what they thought was a 5.3 "but it was a 4.8" boost ranging from 7psi to 28 it made 1203hp it had over 60 passes on a dyno it was all stock except for a cam and they changed the gap on the piston rings
do that with a stock old school BBC or SBC
Dad told me about it, but it was to blow it up. so thats not sustainable HP, but sick none the less.

blacksheep10 said:
From what I read, not what i've done, a stock 5.3 will hold higher single digit boost and 600 horse reliably. That is impressive.
Same motor is in the Vitara....she's quite the sleeper

Latest posts