• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

lumina w/ 3.1 runs like crap when it is warm out

PHILLBILLY1

So, as many of you know, I have this wonderful minivan now. It has had an issue running right, since I have got it. It is gradually getting worse.:mad:

What happens is, when I first start it, it runs fine. After driving it and warming it up, I will shut it off and park it. about 7 out of 10 times it will start and run like **** then die. Then I will try to start it again, and it acts like it is starving for fuel and then dies. Over and over until I finally get it going by pumping the pedal fast and drive away with it jerking back and forth until it clears up. It is 100 times worse when the temperature outside is hot. I am going to try running a code reader on it, and see if that comes up with anything. I just want this thing to be reliable for my wife and kids......

Intake manifold leaking.. Look down in the channel between the heads and look for coolant puddled up.. If you see it, thats most likely one of the problems. Have fun changing it too. :flipoff:

Intake manifold leaking.. Look down in the channel between the heads and look for coolant puddled up.. If you see it, thats most likely one of the problems. Have fun changing it too. :flipoff:

You think? I will have to check that. I hope that aint the problem...

Have you dumped any fuel system cleaner in it ? does it get worse when its low on fuel like 1/4 tank and below?

I haven't tried that yet. It does it whether the tank is full, half full or under a quarter.

I'm guessing it is a fuel delivery issue moreso than an intake or fuel quality issue.......check the fuel pressure and volume, and the system's ability to hold pressure during a hot soak????

I'm guessing it is a fuel delivery issue moreso than an intake or fuel quality issue.......check the fuel pressure and volume, and the system's ability to hold pressure during a hot soak????

I'll try this too:awesomework:

As far as checking it's ability to hold pressure under a hot soak, how would you recommend I do that?

With the fuel pressure gauge you will be using to check fuel pressure!:redneck::awesomework: With it hooked up to the test port (make damn sure there are no leaks there); drive the van around abit, then park it and shut it off---watch the pressure gauge for a significant drop in pressure within a specified time (usually 10 minutes...); should see no more than approx 5 psi drop in that time---If you do see the pressure drop dramatically, you need to find the cause for why it's bleeding off...:awesomework: Just an FYI, injector issues are fairly common on these engines...as are fuel pressure regulators, even fuel pumps for that matter!:haha: Hope that helps!:redneck:

We had a Pontiac minivan of the same vein, only with a 3.8. The injectors went bad it it too. 4 out of 6, all at once. Be wary of the code reader. It said the torque converter was bad.

Well not too sure it wasn't. The tranny eventually went out on it about two years later....

Yeah, I know. Not much help.

We had a Pontiac minivan of the same vein, only with a 3.8. The injectors went bad it it too. 4 out of 6, all at once. Be wary of the code reader. It said the torque converter was bad.

Well not too sure it wasn't. The tranny eventually went out on it about two years later....

Yeah, I know. Not much help.

Mine appears to be TBI.

:rolleyes:
With the fuel pressure gauge you will be using to check fuel pressure!:redneck::awesomework: With it hooked up to the test port (make damn sure there are no leaks there); drive the van around abit, then park it and shut it off---watch the pressure gauge for a significant drop in pressure within a specified time (usually 10 minutes...); should see no more than approx 5 psi drop in that time---If you do see the pressure drop dramatically, you need to find the cause for why it's bleeding off...:awesomework: Just an FYI, injector issues are fairly common on these engines...as are fuel pressure regulators, even fuel pumps for that matter!:haha: Hope that helps!:redneck:

I will do this:D Thank you kevin:awesomework:

You can check some of the basic sensors with a voltmeter but seeing data will take allot of the guesswork out of it.

I always thought I could half ass troubleshoot a problem with my rigs, but this one has got me confused. It would be one thing if it was a constant thing, but it doesn't do it cold, and it gets worse when the temperature outside is hotter. Today we were out hittin garage sales with some friends, and it got to the point where I wouldn't shut it off anymore, cause the damn thing would take 5 minutes to finally get going.:mad:

Hey--me first :fawkdancesmiley:

If its a TBI I would guess early 90's.
:haha:
The best method--see what the data is doing.

I have to agree on the data thing, could tell you alot about what's going on if you know what to look for...although I don't recall too many (if any) of these in 94 having TBI...pic of the engine bay??? If it is indeed TBI, the fuel psi should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 13psi running...and should not drop off more than like 3 psi after 10 minutes shut off...