• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt O's Ultra4 Buggy - EOR Racing #4462

Re: Matt O's Buggy Updates & Essentially Offroad KOH Rebuild & Prep

Nolen told me Shannon's top speed was like 75. So considering his car and mine, I am pretty happy with that.

Matt O. said:
Nolen told me Shannon's top speed was like 75. So considering his car and mine, I am pretty happy with that.

So Matt, what you're saying is Shannon was 33% faster than you. :flipoff1:

InDaShop said:
So Matt, what you're saying is Shannon was 33% faster than you. :flipoff1:

Yeah and I don't mind being beat by 30% considering he has a 100k IFS Car. **** we were running on 7 cylinders for at least a lap! ;D

I was kinda curious how fast we were going on that long sweeping right hand turn. I was thinking around 65 and was prob pretty close to that that turn was my favorite part of the whole race wfo drifting the whole turn.

jabnasty said:
I was kinda curious how fast we were going on that long sweeping right hand turn. I was thinking around 65 and was prob pretty close to that that turn was my favorite part of the whole race wfo drifting the whole turn.

Yeah you passed me there and could of been in Tokyo Drift. You were getting it on that section and it was one of the best parts of the course

Re: Matt O's Buggy & Essentially Offroad KOH Upgrades

So I started collecting some decent parts to get ready for KOH '11. Buggy is going to EOR in Sept for a motor swap and rear radiator. I highly suggest using EOR for your parts & fabrication needs. Everyone I talk to that deals with Jimmy & Joe always have great things to say.

I would also like to thank Steven O'Neal with James O'Neal Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep for coming on board to help with our KOH effort. He has been a tremendous help and is great to deal with. I have been a customer of Steven's for years and if you need a Dodge Truck it is a no brainer. Biggest inventory and best prices in the Southeast.

So plans for the buggy include motor swap, new steering, rear radiator, basic maintenance & some testing/tuning. I firmly believe that maintenance, seat time and not fixing stuff that is not broken play a big part in doing well in KOH. All of the changes I am making are to fix major problems with the car. At SMORR, my motor was burning through plug wires and fouling plugs. It is 14 years old and it is crammed into a place that it is not big enough to fit. The original builder couldn't fit the motor and front rad so he did a remote mount electrical water pump and changed the entire accessory drive. This means I can only run a TC steering pump and it is just too slow for Ultra4 type racing. It was all I could do to stay out of trees at SMORR.

So I am going with a 6.0 LQ4 and keeping the build mild for now for reliability. GMPP Hot Cam, Car Intake/Injectors/TB, Flow Through Fuel Rails, AA Headers, Custom Made Harness and ECM Tuning done by EOR. We are hoping to get about 400HP out of it. I have the best steering setup PSC offers, High-Flow N Pump w/ -8 & -12 fittings and their new Gen IV Resevoir that is absolutely massive. To fit the motor the radiator has to go to the rear, so we are going to install the biggest rad we can fit. The chassis was made so you could do front or rear rad, so there is an isolated tube on each side to carry coolant. We will probably a 31x19 Dual Fan unit, right behind the seats in airflow.

Maintenance wise I have new Heims from RuffStuff and James at BTF made me some custom MIS spacers to work with my narrow width link mounts. The rest is just routine maintenance, fluids, axles, etc. Here are a few pics of the parts I have so far

[attachment deleted by admin]

That is cool! Glad to see you putting a healthy motor in there and getting that steering corrected!

Did you ever get that front driveline sorted? What did you end up doing?

CheapJ7 said:
Did you ever get that front driveline sorted? What did you end up doing?

Limited the front of the chassis on droop. Link was hitting the shaft at close to full droop. That and we plan to carry a spare shaft. Bout all we can do without going to a 2 pc shaft

I was going to say, with the engine swap are ya'll looking at packaging options I assume to get more up travel out of the front end of the car. I know in speed sections on the buggy that was the biggest issue. Any plans on front suspension re-duex while its going through all that? Cool to see you keep on building on a classic style of chassis to get the max out of it ! Best of luck :woot:

It is just too much rework required to get more front travel. I think if that becomes the big limiting factor in the future I will just look into a new chassis and swap my parts over. For now we are focusing on trying to balance the weight front to rear as much as possible to make it stable and predictable. That is why we moved the rear tire so far back and added fuel capacity. The rear rad will also help balance it out even more. I am also very cautious about taking on too many upgrades before KOH because I don't want the upgrades to drag out and interfere with test & tune. I feel like I am introducing a big enough change with the motor, wiring & cooling system. About all I can handle for this race. If there is anyway I could upgrade my shock package I would. If there is any room in the budget after this stuff I will look at shock improvements.

Matt O. said:
It is just too much rework required to get more front travel. I think if that becomes the big limiting factor in the future I will just look into a new chassis and swap my parts over. For now we are focusing on trying to balance the weight front to rear as much as possible to make it stable and predictable. That is why we moved the rear tire so far back and added fuel capacity. The rear rad will also help balance it out even more. I am also very cautious about taking on too many upgrades before KOH because I don't want the upgrades to drag out and interfere with test & tune. I feel like I am introducing a big enough change with the motor, wiring & cooling system. About all I can handle for this race. If there is anyway I could upgrade my shock package I would. If there is any room in the budget after this stuff I will look at shock improvements.

Sounds like a solid plan of attack man !

Re: Matt O's Buggy & EOR KOH Upgrades

It is still at EOR, Jimmy will have to tell you how far along he is. All I know is that all the parts are up there and he has had fitment issues with just about everything. Orbital has to be moved, headers will have to be re-worked to fit, etc. He has been crazy busy in the shop and getting hitched, but he said it will be ready by the end of October. I am sure I will need to tie up some loose ends, but I plan to shake it down a lot in November/December then teardown for race prep around christmas.

Cool deal on the upgrades.

Look at JackA from BTG...that car has been top 20 3 years running and it is just simple but tested.

Get some time in it and have fun!

Is that rat bastard Daniel co-driving?

wngrog said:
Cool deal on the upgrades.

Look at JackA from BTG...that car has been top 20 3 years running and it is just simple but tested.

Get some time in it and have fun!

Is that rat bastard Daniel co-driving?

Yeah Daniel is co-dawg and we plan to run the IEC next year also. I know it is just turd polish as Nolen calls it, but we are going to run what we brung and try our best to hang. I am shopping for communications gear this morning and I hate it. **** is so damn expensive and I cannot see how an intercom and radio is worth this much money. Oh well, cost of competing I guess. Hopefully Jimmy can snap a pic or two when he has a second.

Matt O. said:
I am shopping for communications gear this morning and I hate it. **** is so damn expensive and I cannot see how an intercom and radio is worth this much money.

I hear ya on that. I have been putting off buying my stuff as long as I can. I do not understand at all why an intercom is so damn expensive. You can shop around some places and look on eBay and save a lot of coin on the radio end, but that is not the case on the intercom. When I get ready to get mine I am going with Rugged.

Yeah I have the radios figured out, going Ham radios that are modified. I can get two radios, two antennas and a speaker for what it costs for one radio from PCI or Rugged. I thought I had intercoms figured out with Rugged then I called yesterday to order and the guy I talk to is the biggest moron on the planet. So now I don't know.

Let me know if I can help. I am not sure how much telecommunications crosses over to communications.

Matt O. said:
Yeah I have the radios figured out, going Ham radios that are modified. I can get two radios, two antennas and a speaker for what it costs for one radio from PCI or Rugged. I thought I had intercoms figured out with Rugged then I called yesterday to order and the guy I talk to is the biggest moron on the planet. So now I don't know.

If you have it figured out on the radio end give me some insight. I am lost on the radio part and I have asked several times on pbb and all anyone can say is call PCI or Rugged and pay them $2k and your good.