• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Matt's Cheerleader Jeep buildup thread...

:clappy::clappy::clappy:

Do you already have a cage design in mind?

Just the basics built off the stock B-pillar fer now. Dash bar, windshield header bar, some spreaders, a bar across the b-pillars to mount some harnesses to. I'm going to copy Scott's door bar/seat mount design. :cool:

Who knows what the OHM range for the factory jeep fuel gauge is? Thinking about one of the nice RCI fuel cells from Summit, they come with a "standard GM 0-90 ohm" sending unit... will it work with my factory guage? It would be nice to retain the fuel gauge. :D

BTW Jon: the bender has been mounted for a while, I just haven't used it much yet. :flipoff:

Who knows what the OHM range for the factory jeep fuel gauge is? Thinking about one of the nice RCI fuel cells from Summit, they come with a "standard GM 0-90 ohm" sending unit... will it work with my factory guage? It would be nice to retain the fuel gauge. :D

BTW Jon: the bender has been mounted for a while, I just haven't used it much yet. :flipoff:

The factory Jeep gauge is not the same as the GM. I can look it up for ya if you want, I got the factory manual out in the garage.

Last edited:
Matt hook power to the fuel pump to make sure its bad. You could have smoked something if you were welding with the battery hooked up.

I didn't do any welding, unfortunately. I have power all the way back to the plug at the tank when I turn the key on, so I'm guessing one of the wires came loose on the pump internally or I got some crap in the pickup screen from the tank or something. I did a lot of hammering/pounding on the rig trying to get the front springs out because of the siezed bolts.

Brad: that would be great if you could look up those specs. I need to just bite the bullet and buy a factory service manual for this thing, but it's hard to justify when the only thing that would be useful is the wiring diagrams. :haha:

Jonathan: I'll look at that tonight, whatever it is... PBB is blocked at work. :(

I'm thinking it would be really easy to go with the RCI unit and just ditch the factory fuel gauge in favor of a standard GM one... or just say screw the fuel gauge altogether, but knowing my forgetfulness, that's a recipe for disaster I think. :D

Brad: that would be great if you could look up those specs. I need to just bite the bullet and buy a factory service manual for this thing, but it's hard to justify when the only thing that would be useful is the wiring diagrams. :haha:

That's the only reason I bought mine, what year is your Jeep?

You're in luck

1 ohm empty
88 ohms full

It's close enough to the GM 0-90 ohm...I was thinking of the older one in my '89 that had some weird values.

Hmm... that is definitely close enough.

I may end up having to just move the stock tank to the back now though, since all my play fund is probably going to end up buying a pump for my truck. :(

Anyway, I mocked up the rear springs last night with the shorter shackles and the 2" lift springs, but it's lots taller in the back now that it was with the stock springs (duh)... so I'm pondering my options... I might rip apart the rear YJ mains I pulled out, since they were in half decent shape, and add some leafs from some other packs I have laying around and see if I can keep it at least close to the height I had it at before, since the front turned out almost exactly the same height with the 1444's.

Unless by some chance someone on here has another set of RE 1444's they want to sell? :D

BTW, I thought long and hard last night about comp-cutting it and pushing the axle back 6" with XJ springs like I've seen done... but I don't want to jump into that project yet since I'm still aiming to have it done by mem. day weekend.

are those leafs new or used in the rear?

Just drive it around without an antiwrap bar for awhile to flatten them out :redneck:

They're well used, judging by the bushings. :D They're just too tall compared to the front, even with the fuel tank full of fuel in the back and my fatass hanging off the roll cage. It looks goofy.

I should just go with the 2" springs all the way around and not worry about it, but I think it's going to over-extend my shocks and driveline at full droop. Plus the rig was at a good height, if a bit tall overall before. I don't really want it any higher.

I'm going to take the two best YJ main leafs I have left and build some packs for the rear for now. Later on down the road I want to put XJ springs out back, but not now as I still want to maintain the illusion of street legality. :D

Go back to the stock shackles in the rear. Did you use the correct set for the rear? I think the rear set only have 4 leafs.

If you get matching RE springs you will want the RE1445.

Go back to the stock shackles in the rear. Did you use the correct set for the rear? I think the rear set only have 4 leafs.

If you get matching RE springs you will want the RE1445.

Yeah, I put the 4 leaf ones in the rear... stock-length shackles as well. They're just taller than the 1444's altogether, and overall taller than I want the rig to be anyway. I'll figure it out this weekend though. I might just end up ordering another set of the RE spring overs (144x's). The ones you sold me have 5 leafs and I put them up front with the shackles that were on 'em, and then made some shackles for the rear almost identical to the stock length (like 4" between the bolt holes). Going to stock length shackles up front and changing nothing else except the springs, I gained about .5", but with the springs you gave me in the back, and stock length shackles, I ended up with about 2.5" over what I had before. Guess those stock rear springs were pretty sagged. :D

yea just build a good set from the stocke and put those shackles back on and wheel the piss out of it.

yea just build a good set from the stocke and put those shackles back on and wheel the piss out of it.

Indeed... I may end up passing the 2" lift springs on to a friend who has a mostly stock YJ, in trade for his stock unmolested rears. The only reason I had problems with the rears was because I ran them for a while without the anti-wrap bar, then when I did put the anti-wrap on, the mount on the axle hogged out a bit and was loose. I think for now if I take the good stockers and add a leaf or two to them with the larger center pins and stock shackles, I'll be set for now until I decide to stretch it out.

Alright, I found a spare set of stock XJ rears I didn't think I had, so I went ahead and bit the bullet and comp cut the rear corners and cut out the two rear body mounts (going to move them inboard a bit and call it good). It's just mocked up right now, but this should be about how it will sit. I want it a little ass high just because it'll sag a bit when it gets loaded down with a full tank of fuel and gear. It doesn't look TOO ridiculous with the little 36's and the comp cut. :D

So, now I need to re-do the shock mounts, have about 5.5 inches added to the driveshaft and anti-wrap bar, and get a longer soft line for the rear brakes. Should be easy.

Unfortunately all I had was my cell phone for pics and the lighting sucks, but you get the idea. :D

img134.jpg

img135.jpg

img136.jpg

img137.jpg