• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Meals while camping

Eric

Looking for ideas on things to cook or things to eat while camping.

WHat are some good camp foods.

Some quick
Some yummy
some just because they are easy.

What do you have?

A guy we went with put some (raw) eggs and (cooked) bacon and green peppers etc. into a freeze dryer bag (the bags that suck the air out of them) and you can cook it in the bag in boiling water, cut it open and enjoy, no mess! :awesomework:

I LOVE the instant mash potatos you can get that have garlic/cheese/ etc. in them, they cook up way quick and taste good! You can usually get them get 10/$10 at freddy's.

Avoid Canned goods for weight.:awesomework:

What kind of camping are you doing? Car camping, backcountry?

Last edited:
A guy we went with put some (raw) eggs and (cooked) bacon and green peppers etc. into a freeze dryer bag (the bags that suck the air out of them) and you can cook it in the bag in boiling water, cut it open and enjoy, no mess! :awesomework:

What kind of camping are you doing? Car camping, backcountry?

Wheeling and camping, so weight is not a huge concern.

The omlet in a bag is good grub.

Good simple ideas. I hope to find a few that are slightly better.

How many are you planning to feed? You and a Wife/GF? Family? I think to get simple meals you gotta do some prep work at home to make it way easy on the trail. :awesomework: It's too bad Rooinator isn't on here much anymore, he'd give you some good dehydrater ideas. Pita/flat breads are good for sammichs as they're already smashed, saves you the trouble of smashing them yourself! :redneck: you can prep/cook (chicken/beef/veggie) fajita stuff and freezer baggy it and heat that up in boiling water and serve also. That's a good one, we've actually made fajitas from scratch at camp before. :awesomework:

I stick with the norm. Berries, nuts, roots, bears, and if Im really tired a little BBQ badger always gets my camping spirit back too.

I like to eat Swedish bikini models on the trail too. Yummers! :cheer:

Hobo Stew is a fun camping meal. Lots of ways to make it, google will give you tons, its essentially meat and veg wrapped in foil cooked in the coals.

Or surf CL and scam up a bunch of MREs. But act fast, folks buy them up quick if they are reasonably priced.

Some are pretty good too.

How many are you planning to feed? You and a Wife/GF? Family? I think to get simple meals you gotta do some prep work at home to make it way easy on the trail. :awesomework: It's too bad Rooinator isn't on here much anymore, he'd give you some good dehydrater ideas. Pita/flat breads are good for sammichs as they're already smashed, saves you the trouble of smashing them yourself! :redneck: you can prep/cook (chicken/beef/veggie) fajita stuff and freezer baggy it and heat that up in boiling water and serve also. That's a good one, we've actually made fajitas from scratch at camp before. :awesomework:

Number to feed is unknown at this point.

Prep at home is already planned, and marinated fajita meat is good stuff when camping.

I will prep what I can at home, containered and ready to go when camping, and it makes it much easier when things are already choped up and ready to cook or heat and eat.

Or surf CL and scam up a bunch of MREs. But act fast, folks buy them up quick if they are reasonably priced.

Some are pretty good too.

Recomended varieties? I would like to have one or 2 as back up food sort of thing. I dont think I would want to eat MREs for the whole camping trip.

Hobo Stew is a fun camping meal. Lots of ways to make it, google will give you tons, its essentially meat and veg wrapped in foil cooked in the coals.

Cool, I prefere it in a dutch oven over foil, but yes its usally good stuff.

Teriyaki marinaded boneless chicken breast cooked over campfire/hibachi grill+
lettuce+mayo+tomatoes+ pineapple on white bread = grub

Ate this a couple times at Yellowstone. best part about it, most of the ingredients can be used for other dishes, just swap out the meat. :awesomework:

Very little cleanup if prepped ahead of time.

Ate this a couple times at Yellowstone. best part about it, most of the ingredients can be used for other dishes, just swap out the meat. :awesomework:

sounds like good stuff

Recomended varieties? I would like to have one or 2 as back up food sort of thing. I dont think I would want to eat MREs for the whole camping trip.

flavor is up to you.

Eating them all weekend is not the greatest, but eating them for lunch is the ****. No dishes, no cleaning, no propane.

At the dunes we either get up and cook breakfast or go get some, then mre for lunch then burn some good dinner over a flame.

It sucks having to get out all the food and pans and stove for lunch. Thats an hour that could be spent riding or wheeling.

I also like to eat fish that I just caught while camping.

Or camp on the beach and eat clams and oysters all night while getting ****ed up. MMmmmm oysters on a fire in the shell, mmm.:beer:

And dont forget to get a couple boiled crabs from the indians on the way in, mmm.:beer:

Fresh food is usally good stuff.

Any varieties of MREs that really dont live up to the flavor as advertised? Ones you would recomend staying away from?

Fresh food is usally good stuff.

Any varieties of MREs that really dont live up to the flavor as advertised? Ones you would recomend staying away from?

NOt me, I can eat about anything.

They change alot over the years too. Im pretty cheap and am still eating ones from ten years ago. The new ones have some good stuff tho. Bout the time they went to digicamo, they changed the menu too.

!Paging service folks!

You're one of those guys doin' espresso shots off the tailgate at Naches aren't ya!!!:fawkdancesmiley::haha:

My favorite outdoor travel meal is:

Water:D
Any smoked or "stored" fish
Chocolate candy bar

Done and happy.:awesomework:

Cooking is for women.......:fawkdancesmiley:

You're one of those guys doin' espresso shots off the tailgate at Naches aren't ya!!!:fawkdancesmiley::haha:

Yes, speaking of which I need to get a AC outlet wired for the rear of my rig.... :fawkdancesmiley:

On the record, I hate coffee, unless it's finals/dead week. :D