• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mercedes Diesel

It is a massive amount of work to switch a rig to a diesel. Everything you can possibly think of will need replaced. It's like trying to make that 300 sedan into a wheeler. HUGE job.

Plus, you will go to mega-torque with very little engine RPM swings. RPM is your friend. You want to pull thru the power band as you accelerate up hills. With a gas motor, you can pull from 800 rpm to 5000+ rpm. With a D, you'll be lucky to ever hit 3000.

Don't do it.

It is a massive amount of work to switch a rig to a diesel. Everything you can possibly think of will need replaced. It's like trying to make that 300 sedan into a wheeler. HUGE job.

Plus, you will go to mega-torque with very little engine RPM swings. RPM is your friend. You want to pull thru the power band as you accelerate up hills. With a gas motor, you can pull from 800 rpm to 5000+ rpm. With a D, you'll be lucky to ever hit 3000.

Don't do it.

I know the whole diesel thing, I am just wondering if this Mercedes engine is worth a crap whether it will have enough Torque, and HP? The work to change everything is already expected. Plus my gearing has been setup to work with a planned future diesel.

Don't do it.
A diesel would kick ass for crawling. And that's about it.

Tony's dead on. Without RPM range, life would suck balls.

The mercedes diesels will rev to 4500 no problem:awesomework: and run at these revs.

There are lots of people that have put them in older land cruisers.

Google is your friend on this one, the mercedes diesels are used in a lot of things.

The mercedes diesels will rev to 4500 no problem:awesomework: and run at these revs.
How long will it take to achieve that RPM though? RPM range without throttle response is useless. If you have time to wait for the engine to rev, you have time to shift.

How long will it take to achieve that RPM though? RPM range without throttle response is useless. If you have time to wait for the engine to rev, you have time to shift.

I know this, and around here a gas motor is much nicer to have on the trails, but for some rigs a diesel will work very well.

Another issue you may find is if this is a califonia model or not, the california model has a trap oxidizer that slows the turbo down and in most cases had destroyed the turbo, mercedes had a recall, I dont know if they still do

Another issue is that they are much less tolerent of dirt and dust in places

The Mercedes 617 diesel is an awesome motor. It is bomb proof, will burn just about anything, and is common enough that you can get parts for it. It is a popular engine to drop into older Land Rover 109s (a la Wild Kingdom type trucks) as it is a better motor than the Land Rover diesel.

If you are into bio-diesel, it is a great motor for that too.