• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Metal shavings....

I've never heard anyone talk about a mill or a lathe being able to reproduce itself. I probably skipped school that day of shop class.

A mill would come closer, but there are a few parts that are just not feasible. A lathe, no way. Too many parts that require mill work.

How would you thread the X axis lead screw on a manual mill?

I prefer to do lathe work on a lathe and mill work on a mill. Unless, it's a CNC lathe with live tooling. Then you can do both at once. I ran a Mori Seiki lathe with live tooling at my previous job and you could build some awesome parts in one setup.

thumb.gif

For just a "hobby" machine...General thoughts on a 3 in 1 machine like this?

midas1220ltd.jpg

http://www.smithy.com/midas/pricing/ltd

Re:

I have looked at these machines quite a bit. I have heard that the lathes part of them is great but that the mill is so so. Supposedly the heads are a little sloppy and cant hold more than about +- .005 tolerance.

On a lathe reproducing itself, would it be a pita yes, is it feasible, not really. But a lathe is capable of milling also, as you can chuck you tool in the spindle and they make vices to bolt into the cross slide to hold the work piece. So technically it COULD be done, but it would not be much of a machine when you were done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Elliott said:
Mill most definitely would be the biggest help, and if you find a deal on a 3 phase machine snatch it up, I can tell you how to make your 3 phase power using another old wore out 3 phase motor and 220 volt electricity, I power my whole machine shop this way.

x2

A mill would be a great addition. I have a lathe that I use, but need to get a mill.

As far as a phase converter I always used a 5 or 7 hp single phase motor with 3 phase outputs. Made a rip cord for the pulley gave it a pull and threw threw the switch to draw 3 phase. Works awesome.