• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

MIG TIG welders, combo?

CHOP SHOP

I am need of some help here.

My dad needs a welder for Xmas. I would like to find him a machine that can MIG and TIG weld if such a thing exists.

The cost needs to stay around $1000+ or - a bit.

If nothing like that exists for under 10 Gs then my next step would be to see what you guys have found for MIG deals and for TIG deals.

Anyone know of any Xmas specials going on right now?

I love refurbs and scratch and dent stuff too.

If MIG and 110V then it needs to be a larger 130+ amp style machine.
If MIG and 220V then it needs to be a 175-180 amp style machine.

If its a TIG tell me what ya know, cuz I dont know **** about tig welders.

If its a combo then tell me all ya know.

Links kick ass too.

Im not interested in "new" companies or bargin brands like HF or "extreme zapperbox" kinda crap.

Mostly looking for a Miller, Lincoln, Hobart etc.

I seem to remember a while back that there was a place to get CHEAP hobart refurbs.

Any ideas?

Please dont suggest a 200+ amp miller. I know they will wipe your ass and cook dinner too but are not needed here.

Toolking.Com is where I have seen the refurbed Hobarts. $453 for a 140.

http://www.toolking.com/hobart-5005...ned-handler-140-mig-flux-cored-welder-a-stock

As for reasonably priced combos, Lincoln had one a couple years ago, but it was still over 2g's. I do have a Contact at Central Welding who might have some used machines or be able to find you one. He is in to early Bronco's and a great guy to deal with. Let me know if you want his contact info.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Arc-Fabricator-181i-Mig-Tig-Stick-Welder-pkg-W1003181-w-W4013802-/130597799587?pt=BI_Welders&hash=item1e683c46a3

This is VERY appealing to me. I know the Thermal Arc name from using their plazmas.

I have never had any experience with their welders.

Any input on this option? Seems like allot to get for under a grand?

Keep in mind that the ONLY tig welding will be done on mild steel sheet metal for custom autobody stuff.
The tig portion of the machine will NOT be used for heavy steel or NF metals, only sheetmetal.
The mig portion will bbe for quick and dirty fab and bracket kinda stuff.

Multiprocess welders are normally Arc/MIG or pulse MIG/TIG machines and can run up in the 4-10k $ range. A quick google search did not produce any results for a MIG/TIG only setup. Miller Dimensions are what I know of.

As for a TIG machine there are 2 kinds. Im assuming you want to run only DC (steel only) but there are AC/DC and RDC as well. The DC only machines can be had for lots cheaper then a switchable machine. There are also Inverter style machines and Transformer style machines. The Transformers for example are like like the Syncrowaves, big and heavy. Air cooled sounds like it will work for you also.

I have seen some web sites like www.weldfabulous.com and www.cyberweld.com that sometimes do a speacial if you buy a machine you get a little suitcase TIG welder for free on like a rebate.

Last edited:
I'm not a big fan of thermadyne welders pos in my opinion, you could try Redi arc they sell there old rentals for pretty cheap, or talk to precision welders Dave might have some refurbs for sale, also American welding in Kent they also sell refurbs, or tec welding in auburn, they might even be able to hook u up with someone that's selling there **** :awesomework:

I'm not a big fan of thermadyne welders pos in my opinion, you could try Redi arc they sell there old rentals for pretty cheap, or talk to precision welders Dave might have some refurbs for sale, also American welding in Kent they also sell refurbs, or tec welding in auburn, they might even be able to hook u up with someone that's selling there **** :awesomework:

As much as I would like to support local I am leaning towards an online purchase.

Wa state does not need any more sales tax. The local markup is crazy too.

The welding shops are like the bike and hobby shops. Not very helpful and VERY expensive.

Thats just my experience.

Pick up a TIG machine that can also power a remote wire feeder. That is the best way to combine both processes. That way with one machine, you can stick weld, MIG, and TIG.

As much as I would like to support local I am leaning towards an online purchase.

Wa state does not need any more sales tax. The local markup is crazy too.

The welding shops are like the bike and hobby shops. Not very helpful and VERY expensive.

Thats just my experience.

Ya I hear ya on the sales tax, I've scored some good deals through the shops over the yrs but I do a lot of business with them, miller does have a new line of machines for hobbyists that are affordable

Pick up a TIG machine that can also power a remote wire feeder. That is the best way to combine both processes. That way with one machine, you can stick weld, MIG, and TIG.

This, or pick up one of the little suit-case tig units for the tig work, then like a miller 130, 185 or so for Mig work (still portable, and those are old numbers, so the 'newer' machines are probably slightly different).

How big does he need/want to mig? If its just hobby stuff I'd be tempted to find the biggest 120V mig you can find. Still portable or put it on a little cart. If he doesn't expect to move it around much or has 220 available at most places, one of the 220V portable machines burn hotter and are nice yet one person can still hump in the back of a truck (like a aforementioned 185, buddies got one and build his first couple wheeling trucks with it).

I like my Miller 210 for what I use it for, but I'm in no way a pro fabber. The optional spool gun has proven very useful for work doing stainless or aluminum, but I have to dial everything down pretty far to do thin sheetmetal. However, it rolls around the garage jsut fine but to take it some were is a pain without some sort of forklift or crane or something.

Might find a couple good deals on decent migs on CL.... haven't really looked though.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/tls/2739136102.html
Probably not a bad deal. Get a gas kit and if he doesn't like it, CL and get something nicer :D

Skip the DC TIG imo.

There's no reason really to want a multiprocess welder for what you're looking for. Find a Millermatic 180 MIG or something similar, and a Miller Diversion 185 TIG.

Mig,Tig,stick combo I think you can get them for around $900 without tig torch (extra $200) the tig is lift arc but you can upgrade to a petal for another $200, And only weighs 33#'s Buy now and you can get a free welded hood.

The new Thermal Arc Fabricator 181i is the only product of its kind. It features MIG, Stick and TIG welding capabilities – complete in one integrated portable package. It's the ultimate compact multiprocess welding system that has changed the game. The portable Thermal Arc 181i powerhouse is designed to take on a wide range of MIG, Stick and TIG applications. It can deliver from 10 to 180 Amps of welding output power from 230 Volts input. Power like that is how work gets done. This is a high performance welder that can perform anywhere. Weighing less than 33 pounds, it's approximately half the weight of the competition's single process MIG equipment. It's the ideal choice for the light fabrication of steel, stainless steel and aluminum (MIG) across a wide range of user applications.

http://www.bakersgas.com/thermal-arc-3-in-1-mig-tig-stick-welders.html

I saw these ^^^^ yesterday at Central Welding in Everett and I was pretty impressed with what you're getting for the money. MIG, ARC and DC TIG for the price of a comparably rated MIG machine.