• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Miles and reliability?

The 12v I'm driving right now has 279000 miles and has been maintained religiously. Its slightly bombed and runs awesome. LuckyJeff will verify:awesomework:

The 12v I'm driving right now has 279000 miles and has been maintained religiously. Its slightly bombed and runs awesome. LuckyJeff will verify:awesomework:

Absolutely, I was impressed with how smooth it ran and how clean it ran with slight mods. Usually a vehicle with that kind of mileage starts to show it's wear even if it runs alright. Not that truck!

My first tow rig was a 90 gmc 1/2 ton with sbc 256,000 on the clock. Changed the stock motor and trans out at 245,000. The only reason the motor got swapped out was due to scoring a wrecked 90 blazer with 40,000 on it. Granted this didn't tow massive weight but it would tow my old toyota over the pass orto rieter at just fine. Made multiple trips with a load over the pass to moses,beverly,naches and mattawa.

I tow with my dads dually till I get my own soon. It's a '01 24 valve 6 speed quad cab blah blah.

He bought it at 22k, put a trans in it at 120k due to the little seal between the trans and t case going out. UNlike other trannies the input shaft is raised above the output on the nv5600 so when the seal went away and the trans oil filled the t case the input bearing locked up solid. Also put a clutch in it just because it was there.

150ish k it lost the lift pump. Replaced with another factory unit.

160k there was a deal with the head gasket shifting or some sort of thing from the factory so they fixed it and dad payed to have the head machined because it was already off.

175k it got carrier bearings.

220k I put a trac bar on it as the old one was FAWKED

240k lost another lift pump, said fawkit and put a carter 7psi pump on the frame by the tank.

Since then it's had ball joints etc put on it but nothing out of the ordinary. It runs straight 100% unadulterated WVO in the summer months and a mixture the rest of the year.

Oh yea, I just put another lift pump on it, the carter got pissed off from running WVO in cold weather I guess... It has a holley 7psi pump on it now and still kicking ass at 391k. :redneck:

My rig is a 91 K2500HD w/ a TBI 454/4spd

It has 248,000 on it, and I haven't done **** to it.

It has had a crate motor put in at some point, but who knows... it was a long time ago.

Other than a set of tires, I don't plan on doing **** to it anytime soon either...

97 F250 PSD...135K on the odo, a few mods...and has been a really good truck....I know at some point a tranny is in order, but I like the truck overall.:awesomework:

97 F350 PSD- Bought it at 163k. Did a water pump at about 170k... UVCH when I *changed* injectors... 2 vacuum pumps. Just did ball joints and front brakes. Now at 206k and needing a fuel pump shortly.

I'm happy with it and haven't done any unexpected repairs. I do expect to have to do a trans at some point also.

98.5 cummins 86k miles, quad adrenaline tuner, exhaust, intake, airtex fuel pump. Fried a vp44 on power level 10 WOT. Since then nothing so far. Had it for almost 2k miles now so we'll see what all pops up. Tranny is slipping a little.

98.5 cummins 86k miles, quad adrenaline tuner, exhaust, intake, airtex fuel pump. Fried a vp44 on power level 10 WOT. Since then nothing so far. Had it for almost 2k miles now so we'll see what all pops up. Tranny is slipping a little.

You've had it for less than 2000 miles and already fried a injection pump?

I just sold my 96' Powerstroke with 237K, I bought it with 221K. I sold it because in my opinion it was falling apart, it needed a few hours of repairs (not maintenance) every 500 miles, or less. In the 13 months I owned it:

Vacuum pump
Alternator (its 3rd)
Fuel bowl heater (left me on side of road)
Waterpump
Clutch bushings/ linkage (wouldnt engage the clutch switch)
Transfer case shifter bushings (t-case linkage was so sloppy it fell apart)
Driver's door fell off
Massive oil pan leak
Top half of driver's seat BROKE off, rewelded seat frame
re- torqued passenger seat bolts, seat rattled apart
replaced 5-6 lightbulbs that worked when i got it
Retorqued u-bolts- front axle was sliding back and forth, clunking
Probably more if I think about it.

There was also plenty of other maintenance items (wheel bearings, thermostat, ect) but I was done with that POS. The 2nd day after selling it the new owner called asking if i knew about a geyser oil leak.

I just sold my 96' Powerstroke with 237K, I bought it with 221K. I sold it because in my opinion it was falling apart, it needed a few hours of repairs (not maintenance) every 500 miles, or less. In the 13 months I owned it:

Vacuum pump
Alternator (its 3rd)
Fuel bowl heater (left me on side of road)
Waterpump
Clutch bushings/ linkage (wouldnt engage the clutch switch)
Transfer case shifter bushings (t-case linkage was so sloppy it fell apart)
Driver's door fell off
Massive oil pan leak
Top half of driver's seat BROKE off, rewelded seat frame
re- torqued passenger seat bolts, seat rattled apart
replaced 5-6 lightbulbs that worked when i got it
Retorqued u-bolts- front axle was sliding back and forth, clunking
Probably more if I think about it.

There was also plenty of other maintenance items (wheel bearings, thermostat, ect) but I was done with that POS. The 2nd day after selling it the new owner called asking if i knew about a geyser oil leak.

Christ what did you do, buy a old worn out fleet vehicle?

It's a Dodge owner thing.. They see the symptoms.. trade it in QUICK.. lucky new owner gets the surprise :redneck:

The one you guys are talking about is the electric 24v pump. Again JUNK!

Mine is a 98 12V and the fuel line was suckin air if parked along time. The guy I bough it from couldnt get it to start and took it in. The shop told him it needed a new pump to the tune of $2500. So he lowered the price on the truck from $7900 to 5900, then I beat him down to $5000. I called around and everybody laughed and said the mech pumps dont go bad and that it more than likely is just a bad fuel line. I was willing to spend a grand on a pump and put it in but didnt have to.

I still havent fixed the fuel line, I just keep the truck full and park it downhill, works everytime.:D

ELECTRONIC DIESELS SUCK!! Unless your a gaming nerd and like to tune with buttons. "Dude ever got your truck to level 5"? "yeah, a few times then it was game over".:booo:

Go 12V or go home broke.:beer:

ELECTRONIC DIESELS SUCK!! Unless your a gaming nerd and like to tune with buttons. "Dude ever got your truck to level 5"? "yeah, a few times then it was game over".:booo:

Go 12V or go home broke.:beer:
I will beg to differ. I will take my nicer riding, much queiter, nicer interior, better steering, better braking, more powerful, less smokey, more roomey, nicer looking, power up at a push of a button, electronic diesel any day of the week over the 12valver with no regrets. But anyways to each their own.:fawkdancesmiley::D

I will beg to differ. I will take my nicer riding, much queiter, nicer interior, better steering, better braking, more powerful, less smokey, more roomey, nicer looking, power up at a push of a button, electronic diesel any day of the week over the 12valver with no regrets. But anyways to each their own.:fawkdancesmiley::D

what if it didnt come with a warranty? My requriements when buying was I had to be able to afford to fix it. I cant afford to own a electric diesel.

Does you truck have a warranty? Mine doesnt. I cant afford to trade reliablitly for comfort. Hi rollers:rolleyes:

what if it didnt come with a warranty? My requriements when buying was I had to be able to afford to fix it. I cant afford to own a electric diesel.

Does you truck have a warranty? Mine doesnt. I cant afford to trade reliablitly for comfort. Hi rollers:rolleyes:
Come awn now Choppy, you guys overdue it on the reliability thing as I know of numerous people that have hauler 3rd gens with high miles that have had zero probs But the difference is that they maintain their **** and dont push the envelope in the "overpowering dept" Mine is under warranty for 2 more years, and knock on wood that I hope to not use it but if I need it it will be there. Not trying to put anyone one down, but the gripe out of people that dont own one so they suck holds no water with me. 12Vs are a great setup no dought tho, and I would not argue that.:;

01 Lincoln Navigator 100k brakes, coil packs, spark plugs and many many gallons of premium gasoline. Pulls my 3200lbs rig and my 1800lbs trailer over the pass @60 and cruises at 75mph. No problems...other than the 9.8 AVG MPG :redneck::eeek: