• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Miller Dialarc 250?

jwilson645

Anyone have one of these? This one appears to be old but I don't have any info on the manufacture date just yet. Says it's a single phase 240V ac with a 50% duty cycle at 200amps. I've never used a stick before but the price is right and I'm interested.

3nf3m23p25Y65W25S1b9k25b9094c09801676.jpg

When you say price it right I hope you are talking like $100 max

That welder you have there is from the 80's and is a good welder. If you are only going to be doing small jobs like weld one rod here then wait 10 minutes its an ok machine. If you are going to weld more you need one with a higher duty cycle.

wontwork said:
When you say price it right I hope you are talking like $100 max

That welder you have there is from the 80's and is a good welder. If you are only going to be doing small jobs like weld one rod here then wait 10 minutes its an ok machine. If you are going to weld more you need one with a higher duty cycle.

That's the kind of input I needed. thumb.gif

Funny you should mention the price because that's what he's asking. laughing1

I am not sure what you are welding but a 50% duty cycle at 200 Amps is a lot. Are you welding 3/4 plate on a regular basis? For say 3/16 steel plate with a 5/32 piece of 7018 you will be around 80 amps depending on your welding style and the application. To get into the 200 amp range you would be using the 5/16 baseball bat rod on some heavy steel. At less than 100 amps its a 100% duty Cycle (At least the new one is) http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/specsheet/i-m/mil_miller/ad2-1.pdf

rockbuggy said:
I am not sure what you are welding but a 50% duty cycle at 200 Amps is a lot. Are you welding 3/4 plate on a regular basis? For say 3/16 steel plate with a 5/32 piece of 7018 you will be around 80 amps depending on your welding style and the application. To get into the 200 amp range you would be using the 5/16 baseball bat rod on some heavy steel. At less than 100 amps its a 100% duty Cycle (At least the new one is) http://www.airgas.com/documents/pdf/specsheet/i-m/mil_miller/ad2-1.pdf

No intention of welding anything thicker than 3/8....mostly 1/4" though.

Same guy also has this one.

3n43mf3pc5Y45T55X2b9j4b7f5897d76e1060.jpg

I used one like that lincoln for 20+ years Great machine with good power and very very simple inside. In all reality you cant go wrong with either one as long as they work.

rockbuggy said:
I used one like that lincoln for 20+ years Great machine with good power and very very simple inside. In all reality you cant go wrong with either one as long as they work.

Supposedly both work. I know the Lincoln needs leads on it. Just need the damn guy to send me his number so I can get more info. :gay:

The Idealarc may be more disirable since it does AC and DC both Reverse and regular polarity. I dont know if the Miller Does DC?

rockbuggy said:
The Idealarc may be more disirable since it does AC and DC both Reverse and regular polarity. I dont know if the Miller Does DC?

That's what I'm thinking too because I'm pretty sure that the Miller only does AC. However, the Lincoln has a bad ac/dc switch and currently only does DC

Elliott said:
You mean to tell me people still use stick welders?
Well, concidering that you can run a TIG setup with a stick welder id say yes :flipoff1:

Of the two id get the Dialarc for the AC and DC... :dblthumb:

I'm letting him use my spare car batteries and I have an overabundance of wire coat hangers to go with it. loller.gif

Info on how to make a stick welder into a TIG setup? Yes I'm a newb.

grcthird said:
I'm letting him use my spare car batteries and I have an overabundance of wire coat hangers to go with it. loller.gif

Info on how to make a stick welder into a TIG setup? Yes I'm a newb.

You just put a tig torch on the negative side of your welder and use the ground on the positve side. If you have an ac machine you can weld aluminum. That sounds easy but you need gas and a few other items to make a complete tig torch. All a tig welder is is a fancy stick machine. To use this process its called scratch start or lift arc. Very common in the welding field even more on pipe line work.