• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mobile Home axles illegal?

Tlh89

I have a trailer I got a few years ago with a samurai I bought. The trailer is home built but nicely done. It is wide enough for a full width rig. Anyways now that I have another rig I am needing a trailer. This old trailer needs the boards replaced and new tires. It has mobile home axles, I have found a place that sells new 14.5" trailer tires. Are these axles illegal now, I have heard they are but can't find anything concrete. I just don't want to spend the time and money replacing the deck and buying tires and then have a trailer I can't use. I will need to have it inspected once it's fixed so I can get it registered in Ga. Thanks for any help...

Alabama is pretty easy going on trailers and I got a written warning on a trailer with mobile home axles. I am going to assume that GA is the same if not worse.

In Tn they are, a buddy of mine got a $275 ticket for his, but that's a pretty freak incidence. I drug mine around for 3 or 4 years, even to the scrap yard where the cops sit watching for stolen **** and tweakers, never once got so much as a warning. I guess it's all up to whether or not the cop is a Dudley-do-right.

Change the hubs out to a standard 6 or 8 lug pattern and keep rolling. Seen this done on different ones just have to know the drum size for brakes and spindle size for bearings. My dad has one that we will be changing out when I take time to get measurements.

Out of curiosity, I think I seen some heavy duty trailers with dual wheels that pivot like a tandem axle but were a single outside frame and single inside frame. Looked like maybe 12-18in axle between them and a total of 8 tires. The axle is just between inner outer wheel and does not go across the middle of the trailer. Just a quick glance looks like a 2 axle mobile home wheeled trailer. Are these the same kind of wheels and tires or is that a different setup altogether.

It's my understanding that there are two different types of these axles. Mobile home type and a heavy duty version that came on trailers several years ago. I have one trailer that has them with breaks on both axles. They came on the trailer when it was made. I don't have a clue if there illegal but I see them daily in Kentucky.

lowbudgetjunk said:
Alabama is pretty easy going on trailers and I got a written warning on a trailer with mobile home axles. I am going to assume that GA is the same if not worse.

My dad made a living for many years buying cars from insurance auctions all over GA and he always talked about how much more strict **** is in GA than AL regarding anything DOT related. So I'd say GA is much worse than AL.

Re:

In NC the issue is mainly the tires that come on trailers as they are 1 time use.

As you found, they make 14.5 trailer tires since many low boys and Hudson trailers ran them

Re:

paradisepwoffrd said:
In NC the issue is mainly the tires that come on trailers as they are 1 time use.

As you found, they make 14.5 trailer tires since many low boys and Hudson trailers ran them

X2
I build trailers in Michigan. Here there's no problem with the axles,but the one time use tires are illegal. So nobody really uses the axles. Also in Michigan it is illegal to tow anything over 3000 lbs combined trailer and cargo without trailer brakes and a safety breakaway system

Real mobile home axles are not legal. They are authorized for use by HUD and not DOT. I had this debate with a friend and found a great article on it but now I can't find it.

I live in ga, have 2 trailers that my uncle built over 40 years ago. They had a vinn and tagged since built. They have told us that if the tag ever expires they will not renew it. Its not transferrable to anyone, etc...

So pretty much they are saying its illegal but your grandfathered in.