• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Mufflers and Cats

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
No I'm not talking about putting kittens in the exhaust to get a cool note! :redneck:

I'm looking to redo my exhaust and make it a bit more legal and quiet, aka eliminating the dual straight pipes to cherry bombs.

There is a deal on 2" cats right now and I want to know of a good muffler that'll keep good flow and be a substantial upgrade over the cherry bombs. I want to REALLY quiet the truck down. :awesomework: Brands? I saw Thrush has some cheapies but i dont know what they sound like.

how much space ya got? 2" pipe ya say?

walker makes some " universal " mufflers, get the longest one you can, or there are the donaldson mufflers, you can get like a 54" long muffler, strait thru, 9" dia.. nice melow, but deep..

Yeah, Flowmasters sound goooooooood on a V-8!:awesomework:

ya, but are they gonna be quiet? I mean i've heard a flowmaster on a straight 6 and it sounds good idling and has a good note under acceleration, I guess i want a quiet idle and road speed sound. I dont care if it gets loud when i step on it. :awesomework:

ya, but are they gonna be quiet? I mean i've heard a flowmaster on a straight 6 and it sounds good idling and has a good note under acceleration, I guess i want a quiet idle and road speed sound. I dont care if it gets loud when i step on it. :awesomework:

Flowmaster has a bunch of different series to choose from to get any level of noise you want. I personally went with the delta force 40's. They're not recomended for street use, I was sold :redneck: . I had 60 series on my ford with a mild 460, loud when you stepped on it, pretty quiet while cruising.

Wanting to be quiet go with a Magnaflow, but they have no spark arrestor and the cat doesnt count as a spark arrestor. Technically to be on state or federal land you are required to have a spark arrestor. Put up wth some noise and go with a Flowmaster or knockoff. A little louder but counts as a spark arrestor and with 2 cats and only running 2 inch pipe will tone it down even more.

Wanting to be quiet go with a Magnaflow, but they have no spark arrestor and the cat doesnt count as a spark arrestor. Technically to be on state or federal land you are required to have a spark arrestor. Put up wth some noise and go with a Flowmaster or knockoff. A little louder but counts as a spark arrestor and with 2 cats and only running 2 inch pipe will tone it down even more.

that;s what i'm going for... :awesomework:

If you want to get real technical, the only USFS approved spark arrestor muffler that I am aware of is a Supertrapp... and they can be as loud or quiet as you want depending on the # of discs you put in, and the length of the muffler.

Most of the time anything with a baffled muffler is considered OK for a spark arrestor, but it is still technically NOT an APPROVED spark arrrestor.

If you want quiet, just get some cheap Turbos and call it good. I have Magnaflows on my Cougar w/ a small block, and I wouldn't call it loud, but it is far from quiet... but it does sound GOOD and will probably be my muffler of choice for any V8 that I own.

I had Flo-Pro's before, and they sounded like ****. Not even close to sounding like a Flowmaster.

Of all the different mufflers I've had, I liked the sound of the Magnaflows the best. And of course, the more tailpipe you have on it after the muffler, generally the quiter it'll be. :awesomework:

Of all the different mufflers I've had, I liked the sound of the Magnaflows the best. And of course, the more tailpipe you have on it after the muffler, generally the quiter it'll be. :awesomework:

but if its anything like my truck, they put way to much pipe after muffler( iheard you want like under 3 feet or so) anyways now it has that fart canny resonation when acclerating hard, and yes its a v8

imho id say go flowmaster 50 or the super 44 and just nut up :redneck: