• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My Bus,,, My Bus,,, My Bus...

i have had to pop a few rivets on the ship i used an air drill with strong bit on it drilled till the head popped then punched the rest out

i have a 78 cornbinder.had it for 13 yrs now,raced bikes out of it for about 10 .DT-466 turbo allison auto honest 10 mpg loaded flat out.had it to california a number of times idaho montana.never 1 problem.love it.it'll be at elbe this weekend.how the ef do you post pictures on this site.anyhow have fun with it.oh yea,i rode the short bus through school so i bought me a 40' footer,wanted to know what it was like.pretty cool

Last edited:
i have had to pop a few rivets on the ship i used an air drill with strong bit on it drilled till the head popped then punched the rest out

The pin on these are harder than the heads... The bit just walks...

There are a few different rivets on this... I've got the solid ones down to a science... These ones are just pissing me off, but I'll figure them out... I was just venting...

i have a 78 cornbinder.had it for 13 yrs now,raced bikes out of it for about 10 .DT-466 turbo allison auto honest 10 mpg loaded flat out.had it to california a number of times idaho montana.never 1 problem.love it.it'll be at elbe this weekend.how the ef do you post pictures on this site.anyhow have fun with it.oh yea,i rode the short bus through school so i bought me a 40' footer,wanted to know what it was like.pretty cool

Nice to hear about the mpg's...

To post pics, right click on the image if it's uploaded on a photo site like photobucket... Then click, "copy image location"...

When posting click on the mountain thing next to the youtube icon in the post reply box and paste the link in the box that appears...

If you have a star, scroll down to "manage atachments" and browse and upload from your computer...

BTW, what coach work and drive train do you have in the bus???

Last edited:
I was hitting them with a punch and the pins wouldn't budge, literally beating the **** out of them...

Last night I started hitting the pins with the pointed chisel on the air hammer and they started moving... Then I could punch them with the punch and hammer... Just needed to break them loose with the air...

Once I figured out that technique I could actually drill them until they spun... Then hit them with a cold chisel and hammer and the heads come right off...

What a bitch... But, now I'm moving right along...

There's over 500 rivets inside the bus that I have to remove... Still gonna take some time...

I was hitting them with a punch and the pins wouldn't budge, literally beating the **** out of them...

Last night I started hitting the pins with the pointed chisel on the air hammer and they started moving... Then I could punch them with the punch and hammer... Just needed to break them loose with the air...

Once I figured out that technique I could actually drill them until they spun... Then hit them with a cold chisel and hammer and the heads come right off...

What a bitch... But, now I'm moving right along...

There's over 500 rivets inside the bus that I have to remove... Still gonna take some time...

Sounds about right i forgot the drill till they spun part ....damn navy ships are pretty much made of rivets

Here's some pics of the door frame out...

Started getting the hole filled in...

I'll pull the rub rails off of the old door and put them on the new metal to kinda help out with the look...

0830101734.jpg

0830101931.jpg

OK, here's the BS I've been whining about...

Removed all the rivets holding the skins on so I can put some real insulation in there and cover everything with osb...

Still have the other side to do...

0902101558.jpg

0902101928.jpg

Holy ****:eek: Fuk that, I'd drill some holes and shoot it full of great stuff.
Rivets are pure bullshit................

I thought about just leaving it alone, but anyone that knows me knows I can't do that...:redneck:

This will make it really nice to hang the inside walls and have everything uniform... Plus all the research I've done about bus conversions, everyone complains about them not being insulated enough...

It's a bitch, but it'll be really nice when it's finally done...

Just a thought

Why don't you just cut down the edge of the rivets and get the crap out of there in the inside

i wonder.... if you worked over time for as many hours as you'll have into doing this conversion if you would just be able to purchase a nice used motorhome with that over time money?:rolleyes::stirpot::corn:

i wonder.... if you worked over time for as many hours as you'll have into doing this conversion if you would just be able to purchase a nice used motorhome with that over time money?:rolleyes::stirpot::corn:

But thats no fun.:redneck:

Actually, I doubt he would be able to. To get a Class A with this kinda running gear would be close to the $100k mark. Most "cheaper" class A's have BB gasser motors, and stuggle on the big hills. This thing will pull the passes towin a rig behind it at 60 no problem I bet. Especially if he can turn up the fuel pump a little, maybe play with the timing, maybe slap a slightly larger turbo on it....

Yep, good luck finding something built like this...

Motorhomes are a sticks and staples built disposable RV, that become disposable quicker when people think it's a tow rig...

I've full accepted that some people just wont get it...:awesomework:

Yea people say that but remember you must have the money to pay you hourly to by something your doing for free.

I've checked out Jake Vonslatt's bus... Very nice, he's kind of a celebrity in the bus community...

The Brown Crown is another that I've been learning from... I really like this bus...

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3065

The Wildcat Lodge is where I'm modeling my bunks from... I'll build them a little different, but this gave me the idea...

http://www.skoolie.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4852

Then there's this one, Jespersen's Skoolie... This is the one that really got me thinking about the wood stove...

http://www.jesperskoolie.tk/