• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

My really slow 4runner build up

the winch is mounted the way it is so I have a clear shot to the front axle (don't want to constantly be yanking on the ram) The winch will alway's be hooked to the front axle.

Gotcha. But, I see an issue when you go to use it for a hard pull. You're going to be putting alot of vertical stress on the rear bolts with the extra leverage of going over the top versus what it'd see from pulling under the drum as normal. I've never seen one break in that fashion, but it makes me nervous as it's just cast parts not terribly strong in that area IMO.

Just a thought. Constructive criticism. :awesomework:

Gotcha. But, I see an issue when you go to use it for a hard pull. You're going to be putting alot of vertical stress on the rear bolts with the extra leverage of going over the top versus what it'd see from pulling under the drum as normal. I've never seen one break in that fashion, but it makes me nervous as it's just cast parts not terribly strong in that area IMO.

Just a thought. Constructive criticism. :awesomework:

heres a thought? unwind the winch and rewind the other way . hhhmmmmm :cool:

heres a thought? unwind the winch and rewind the other way . hhhmmmmm :cool:

Won't work. The brake mechanism inside isn't strong enough to use in that manner. It'd be the same as powering out under load (instead of powering in under load) and this particular style of winch will break the brake. Been there, done that. That's why I suggested just rotating the winch 180*, so that it literally faces backwards, instead of forwards. That way, the brake will be set up normally, but the drum will be spooled backwards, in relation to the front. Or so it would seem. I think. Maybe.

Won't work. The brake mechanism inside isn't strong enough to use in that manner. It'd be the same as powering out under load (instead of powering in under load) and this particular style of winch will break the brake. Been there, done that. That's why I suggested just rotating the winch 180*, so that it literally faces backwards, instead of forwards. That way, the brake will be set up normally, but the drum will be spooled backwards, in relation to the front. Or so it would seem. I think. Maybe.

your right :cool:

That's why I suggested just rotating the winch 180*, so that it literally faces backwards, instead of forwards. That way, the brake will be set up normally, but the drum will be spooled backwards, in relation to the front. Or so it would seem. I think. Maybe.

That's how he has it in the pics, the lever is normally on the driver's side. But will the frame stand up to the stress from doing it this way?

That's how he has it in the pics, the lever is normally on the driver's side. But will the frame stand up to the stress from doing it this way?

I would certainly think so. Even though the winch is rated at 8000. How much do you think it'll take to suck down the front suspension? Maybe a few hundred pounds worth?

according to warn ,, no it will, can rip the bolts out of the case on recoil pulls when winching ( slack then hit)

well everybody just remember when it's done, dont wheel with the broken winch guy, I'd hate to hold everybody up.:kissmyass:

Why not run a cheap/small winch in that location darius for the front axle?

Because I am not putting the normal winch on the front for the sake of approach, it stay's where it is. If it bother's everybody too much, I will un bolt it, flip it around and take a picture.

Because I am not putting the normal winch on the front for the sake of approach, it stay's where it is. If it bother's everybody too much, I will un bolt it, flip it around and take a picture.

Pull your undies outa yer azz--- I am not rambling my mouth off just for rambling it off---its just constructive criticism--take it for what its worth

Pull your undies outa yer azz--- I am not rambling my mouth off just for rambling it off---its just constructive criticism--take it for what its worth

I know, the first half of my response is directed at you, the second half was about the other 20 post's. take it for what it's worth:fawkdancesmiley:

I have been sitting back reading all this. And I keep laughing that Darius is getting so much input on how to build his rig and in the back of my mind I am thinking, what does Darius do for a living? oh thats right, he builds off road rigs, then a light went off in my head and i then asked myself, why are all these people telling someone how to do what he does everyday? that is all :fawkdancesmiley:

I have been sitting back reading all this. And I keep laughing that Darius is getting so much input on how to build his rig and in the back of my mind I am thinking, what does Darius do for a living? oh thats right, he builds off road rigs, then a light went off in my head and i then asked myself, why are all these people telling someone how to do what he does everyday? that is all :fawkdancesmiley:

Because there are a lot of folks here with a lot of combined years of experience. Darius isn't the only one who builds offroad rigs. Doesn't sound like anyone's telling him what to do, just offering advice based on their experiences. Nothing wrong with that. D doesn't have to listen to a single shred of it if he don't want to (and I gather he doesn't :flipoff: )

:stirpot:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread. Hurry up and get back to work man, we need more updates.

There is a lot of combined experience on here, sure people probably know more about one thing or another, but there are also a lot of people that think they know one thing or another. I do this for a living, just like the critiqing of my tranny mount, I do this **** for a living, I have a pretty good idea of what work's and what doesn't. Thing's are alot different in the high end fab world than you're every day joe, it's all about pushing the limit's, you make certain sacrifices for certain performance gain's. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, I take most all advice with a grain of salt, though I do read and think about what a person is trying to say, if sometime a good suggestion came up, I would possibly make a change.