• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

my two piece drive shaft/skid plate

30th6

da9uhery.jpg
well this is only one piece of it, couldn't find a good solution for a single shaft for the dana 300/th350 so I built me a two piece shaft il show the rest friday when the other parts arive.
Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Re: Re: my two piece drive shaft/skid plate

its a drop bearing,it does have a little movement.
why won't it work?

Is there one or two bearings in there? If only one it has no resistance to the shaft getting cock-eyed in the bearing and it will destroy the bearing quickly, especially with the yoke being so far apart. You need at least 2 bearings and the further apart they are the stronger the setup will be.

And technically that isn't a 2-piece shaft, it's a 3-piece.

This is more like what you need:

midshaft1.jpg

midshaft2.jpg

(Sorry such small pics, they're not mine.)

I don't have any pics, but I made a much shorter version using a splined shaft with two machined yokes that ride in bearings inside a machined housing. The whole thing is only about 7" long.

I couldn't do a big bearing like in the pics.i don't have enough room.
thats what I wanted to do but wouldn't fit between frame and trans.

I may try and put another bearing on this setup if it dont work out.

30th6 said:
I couldn't do a big bearing like in the pics.i don't have enough room.
thats what I wanted to do but wouldn't fit between frame and trans.

I may try and put another bearing on this setup if it dont work out.

Is what you have a bearing or a bushing??? Bushings aren't going to work no matter how many you put on there.

its a bearing.it's on a samurai with a 4.3,not a bouncer it will never see high speed

30th6 said:
its a bearing.it's on a samurai with a 4.3,not a bouncer it will never see high speed

It has nothing to do with speed or power. What you have now has nothing to stabilize that shaft. The single bearing will act as a pivot point and self destruct the first ride. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news. Even if you put another of the same bearing back to back on the other side of that flange it would help immensely, but what you have now is a major FAIL.

ok.
whats the difference between this and a stock two peice drive shaft?
they both have a bearing between two drive shafts.

30th6 said:
ok.
whats the difference between this and a stock two peice drive shaft?
they both have a bearing between two drive shafts.

A stock 2-piece driveshaft has one less joint to keep from wobbling around.

Stock: t-case - joint (1) - shaft - bearing - joint (2) - shaft - joint (3) - axle

What you have: t-case - joint (1) - shaft - joint (2) - bearing - joint (3) - joint (4) - shaft - axle

And you don't have 2 driveshafts. You have 3, the one in your pic being the middle one.

its only gonna have three joints.
tcase... after bearing... axel
I only have two shafts one end of this shaft bolts to the tcase,the other shaft bolts to the axel and to this shaft

30th6 said:
its only gonna have three joints.
tcase... after bearing... axel

So then one of those yokes in your pic attaches directly to either your t-case or your axle?

This is a 3-piece shaft, what I think you are unwittingly designing. Notice the two bearings as far apart as possible on the middle shaft and 4 joints:
i2200704.jpg

Here's a true 2-piece, noting only one bearing needed as a result of only having 3 joints:
D_U1ezNoText.jpg

Am I misunderstanding your design intent?

Re: Re: Re: Re: my two piece drive shaft/skid plate

patooyee said:
So then one of those yokes in your pic attaches directly to either your t-case or your axle?

This is a 3-piece shaft, what I think you are unwittingly designing. Notice the two bearings as far apart as possible on the middle shaft and 4 joints:
i2200704.jpg

Here's a true 2-piece, noting only one bearing needed as a result of only having 3 joints:
D_U1ezNoText.jpg

Am I misunderstanding your design intent?
yes the pic is the left half of the two peice you got posted waiting on my flange to finish the right side(after the bearing)

Looking at that picture, does the yoke on the left with the joint in it bolt directly to the transfer case, like the only U joint in that picture goes directly into the transfer case yoke? If it does, your shaft will work, although i'd try to move the bearing as close to the yoke on the right (the one without a Joint in it in the picture) as possible to reduce side loading on the bearing. These guys are thinking that this shaft is solid mounted to the skidplate with a short driveshaft bolted between it and the transfer case, and another shaft mounted between it and the axle.

Edit: dang patooyee beat me to it, I was refering to the original picture.

Re: Re: Re: my two piece drive shaft/skid plate

d_daffron said:
Looking at that picture, does the yoke on the left with the joint in it bolt directly to the transfer case, like the only U joint in that picture goes directly into the transfer case yoke? If it does, your shaft will work, although i'd try to move the bearing as close to the yoke on the right (the one without a Joint in it in the picture) as possible to reduce side loading on the bearing. These guys are thinking that this shaft is solid mounted to the skidplate with a short driveshaft bolted between it and the transfer case.
yes .the bearing wil be very close to the outer yoke just like the above pic.