• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Naches Volunteer Saw Class

Murkman

Hello Naches Volunteer!

The District is preparing for our 2011 Volunteer Saw Training. We welcome your willingness to help and we are committed to making sure you have the appropriate knowledge and skills to use a saw safely.

You need to know the following:
* Each volunteer who wants to use a chain saw, cross cut saw, or hand saw on the Naches District, must attend one day of training each year, provided by the Naches District instructors. It does not matter if your group is under a Challenge Cost Share Agreement or a Sponsored/Individual Volunteer Agreement, you must attend this training before you can use a saw on the District Trails. (Attending training on another District? please discuss with us).

*Participants must be familiar with the type of saw they plan to use before attending.

* We are limited to 15 people/class - please be sure you can attend before you sign up or if a conflict arises, let me know ASAP so I can give away your space.

Below you can see the dates we are tentatively discussing

I assume you mean 4/16/11 not 4/6/11 :eeek: anyhoo I talked to Sue today about the 22nd hope that works out. probably Jerry Lee and I.

btw the 16th is the jamboree wp.

Ooohh! Been wanting to catch one of these!! Im in for the 23rd!!!:awesomework:

Last edited:
Hello again from Naches!

We forgot that April 24th is Easter (it is SO late this year), so we wanted to point it out - Friday April 22nd and Saturday April 23rd are listed as potential volunteer saw training dates, but we do not want to interfere with other obligations!

Please respond to my earlier request with this in mind.

THANKS!!

Sue

Susan Ranger
Recreation Planner/Trails and Wilderness Manager
Okanogan and Wenatchee National Forests
Naches Ranger District
(509) 653-1446

they are paying someone to teach you how to run your saw safly?

Because when your on a work party your covered by their insurance. Its simply a liability issue for them.

Not necessary teach you, but give ya a certification that says you know how to run it.

I find it funny you have to get certified to use a hand saw.:haha:
I guess you havnt ever seen what kind of damage those big ass saws can do :booo: Its also about general safety and protecting those around you

Where exactly is this going to be held?

If theres the standard classroom part then the Naches station most likly with sometime in the field. I havent had the class there but Bob at the white river usally breaks it into 2 classes. One classroom and one field

id fill a empty seat in someones truck on the way over there..toss the 66 in the back..i guess...for a cert..if that could help..i hnd fall timber.and wheel.

id fill a empty seat in someones truck on the way over there..toss the 66 in the back..i guess...for a cert..if that could help..i hnd fall timber.and wheel.

FYI, No volunteer fallers. (to much liability for them). Classes are generaly for bucking only (trail clearing)

Not necessary teach you, but give ya a certification that says you know how to run it.

I find it funny you have to get certified to use a hand saw.:haha:

As a carpenter, I have witnessed a few scenarios in whic the person operating the "hand saw" should have been trained.

Curious if hand saw to them is a Skilsaw. I just took a Red Card class and the instructor refered to the circular saw they had as a hand saw.

I have a 3120xp if someone wants to get certified on this hog! haha it only has a 42" bar on it! lol Its like holding a 125cc dirtbike in your hands.

As a carpenter, I have witnessed a few scenarios in whic the person operating the "hand saw" should have been trained.

Curious if hand saw to them is a Skilsaw. I just took a Red Card class and the instructor refered to the circular saw they had as a hand saw.

Hand saw is exactly that, a hand saw. No powered equipment for clearing wilderness trails.:;

Quick question, does the DNR have their own saw certification or is this one the only option for DNR led work parties?

Quick question, does the DNR have their own saw certification or is this one the only option for DNR led work parties?

This one is Forest service. DNR dosent really have one that I know of but they do honor the FS card.

There are a few WOW members that have a FS cert for Evans... Looks like that cert doesn't cover Naches though...

They will honor it as should any FS district. The training program that Bob uses is the standard for the FS. Only place we have had issues is in the Gifford Pinchot since they like to have paid staff do that kind of work. No trails there anyway :booo:

Also remember that you have to have a current first aid card and a CPR card as well to be "certified"

http://www.centralpiercefire.org/CommunityPrograms/default.aspx