• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need a driveshaft made

dobber

Ive always either did my own or had a good friend get them made up pretty good and straight for my wheeling rigs. Never needed a good balanced one made untill now. Anyone know of a place to get a good balanced driveshaft made in the Olympia area preferably?

Same here I always did my own until my new rig. Had a well known guy in portland do mine. Not cheap but top notch quality....

Ritchies machine shop over in yakima, he'll ship for ya. he does top notch work

1st experience was Kitsap Drivelines. The welds snapped, and broke the driveshaft, leaving me SOL during an early spring / snow run. Caused massive winching.

2nd experience was Drivelines NW. Seemed to be wickedly expensive, and broke due to abuse in Moab.

3rd experience was Tom Woods (because he was in Moab, fixing drivelines) fixed the broken one, and was less than I expected.

4th/5th/6th experience was MAIL ORDERED thru Tom Woods. Each, and every time was done faster by mail than by dropping off, and, was less money. Tom is my guy. Until he gets sold to some giant multi-national.

Advanced in Yelm has done some for me and they have held up fine. Cv rear in my Superduty and a long travel for my Toy. He is interesting, but did a good job.

http://www.advanceddrivelines.com/home.html

Dave is a crotchety old douche. He will **** you if you dont see it coming and might might **** even if you do.

He is famous for wire wheeling old **** and charging you for "new" parts.

Just my .02

I've had trouble finding a local place that will use Toyota joints and a good long slip spline. I've had all my Toyota drivelines done by HighAngle. Slow but they build a tough driveline and even with shipping its been cheaper than Drivelines NW.
The guy at advanced in Yelm told me Toyota cv's can't be clearanced and wanted to sell me a spicer (I think) CV. Highangle has always clearanced my toy CV's for no extra cost.
I've heard good thing about Tom Woods but they dont use Toyota junk so they are a no go for me

1st experience was Kitsap Drivelines. The welds snapped, and broke the driveshaft, leaving me SOL during an early spring / snow run. Caused massive winching.

2nd experience was Drivelines NW. Seemed to be wickedly expensive, and broke due to abuse in Moab.

3rd experience was Tom Woods (because he was in Moab, fixing drivelines) fixed the broken one, and was less than I expected.

4th/5th/6th experience was MAIL ORDERED thru Tom Woods. Each, and every time was done faster by mail than by dropping off, and, was less money. Tom is my guy. Until he gets sold to some giant multi-national.

I'll second this. After being screwed buy all of the local guys down here I called Tom Woods out of frustration. I figured there was no way I could mail order a driveshaft and have it be what I wanted.

I was wrong, faster than taking parts to the locals, cheaper than the locals reusing my old wore out **** and, most importantly for me, didn't argue with me about material selection. :mad:

I got so tired of the local guys telling me how to build shafts for my crawler or telling me they were building them out of .120 and then finding out they built them out of .065 anyway, "you want your driveshaft to be a fuse". No, I really don't, you ****ing assholes just want my repeat business. :looser:

Tom Woods is my go to now.

Dave is a crotchety old douche. He will **** you if you dont see it coming and might might **** even if you do.

He is famous for wire wheeling old **** and charging you for "new" parts.

Just my .02

I'm thinking this lately. I had great luck with him a decade ago. A couple years ago I went in to see if he could shorten a shaft. He seemed annoyed that I wanted to give him business and treated me like I was a retard. I went to Capitol. They're fine, but pricey.

I forgot/didn't know the u-joint does driveshafts. I might look at them next time.

I'm thinking this lately. I had great luck with him a decade ago. A couple years ago I went in to see if he could shorten a shaft. He seemed annoyed that I wanted to give him business and treated me like I was a retard. I went to Capitol. They're fine, but pricey.

Pretty much. I used to use him allot for rear drivelines on drivers.

Then about two years ago he pulled some real shady crap with used parts aand old tubing and it cost us to the tune of 580$ in the end. I asked him about the wirewheel marks and rust under the paint we chipped off afterwards and he got VERY angry and defensive and told us to leave. We paid for BRAND NEW. Its not like he explained/offered us a deal on used garbage.

I was more than willing to let him make it right but he threw a tantrum like a little boy. It seems as he gets older he doesnt want/need the work I guess.

We all make mistakes or bad decisions, its how we handle ourselves afterwards thats the true measure of a MAN.

I will never spend a dollar there again (actually found a stack of his cards in my tool box recently cuz I used to refer lots of folks to him) and I will warn others every chance I get.

On the other hand, John the fellow next door to advanced with the muffler shop is a stand up fellow. :awesomework:

On last Wednesday, around 5 pm, I drove to the UPS store in Port Orchard, and shipped Tom Woods a driveshaft for lengthening. It left Port Orchard that evening, and arrived in Ogden Utah on Friday morning. Tom's people called me this morning to discuss the repairs. It was completed, and shipped back this evening, with a scheduled delivery on this upcoming Wednesday at my home.

Total turnaround is one week.

Total cost for the repair is $32 for the UPS shipping to Tom Woods plus $60 for the lengthening, balancing, and return shipping, plus $10 for handling, paperwork, and misc. $102 out the door. (70 for Tom, 32 for UPS) And, I only had to drive a couple miles to the UPS store.

(And the shaft needed lengthening because I took a D60 out of the red jeep, and reinstalled the D44 that lived there prior.)

Thanks for all the replies. After looking into some of these places I will be giving U-joint in Chehalis a try. Main reason is a big rig truck parts store 5 minutes from my work is somehow linked to them and I can drop it off there and they ship it out and back with their regular deliveries, so easy for me and no shipping fees. I'll give an update when everything is done.

Got my driveshaft done. Took about a week to get done. I didnt put a rush to get it done and I didn't have to travel so I'm happy. I sent them my driveshaft for 205 with the slip yoke in it and the end yoke I needed added. They used the existing tube and had to turn down the added you to fit, welded, painted and balanced. Was $138 and all looks good so seems like a pretty good deal to me. I would use U-JOINT again.