• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help building a dana 60

mcbadwish

Im gathering parts to start building a truggy, I picked up a 60 hopefully at a good price its a balljoint 2004 ford f350 60 complete hub to hub for 400. Im wondering if I need to get upgraded axle shafts and such. The truggy will be toyota based back halfed on air shocks front and rear with a 4.3 vortec on propane, 700r4, and I havent decided on a t-case/doubler setup yet I have dual toyota cases but thinkin I should run a 203/205 set up. Would also like to know what gear ratio's and stuff you guys run. And I plan on running 42's.

If your going to run 1 ton axles and a 203/205 why not put a v8 in. It's not much heavier. I like 5.13 or 5.38 for my axles.

If your going to run 1 ton axles and a 203/205 why not put a v8 in. It's not much heavier. I like 5.13 or 5.38 for my axles.

V-8 Heck yes but put a LSX motor in it...if you get an all aluminium one your only adding about 400ish pounds!!!!!!:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot: :;:beer:

I want it to be a good all aroung rig but I mostly want it to do good in the rocks. Are the stock 60 axles shafts strong enough most of the time?

Alot of people around here run Yukon...35 spline of course.......:; if you have the money run all cro-mo axles...front and rear...:D:awesomework:

I'm running superior evolution axles in the front cro-mo..
bobby long axle u-joints in the front..
and untill i get 35 spline rear axles i'm running cro-mo 30 splines in the rear...but once i get the rear housing bored i'll be running 35 spline axles in the rear!!!:awesomework:

Last edited:
Ok will do what rear axle would you guys run?

You could run a 60 or 70 rear. I like 14 bolts, easy to set up gears, cheap lockers. You can shave diff if you want a little extra clearance. The tire size you are going to run and how hard you are on a rig can help determine what kind of axles and u-joints you're going to want, along with how much money you're willing to spend.

Throw a14 bolt an call it a day, who cares if you drag diff all day.an if your getting hung up on it then your going too slow hammer down

its a balljoint 2004 ford f350 60 complete hub to hub for 400. .

The 2004 F-axles use a Ford specific metric lug pattern, which is different than the standard early ford, Dodge, GM normal 8 on 6.5. I believe this also uses a 30 spline stub axle, with Unit-Bearing outers.

If you're going to remain full width, you may find the cheapest and easiest solution is to run a Ford F250 matching rear axle. They are plenty strong.

To convert that axle to a 'normal' style D60 will require a bunch of $$. I believe Dynatrack makes a conversion kit for that axle, to convert it to standard hub / axle.

Last edited:
I planned on welding up the holes and having a buddy re machine them to the 8 on 6.5. As far as the unit bearings and the 30 spline I dont know what im going to do about that. Are you saying they are going to be a weak link? I kinda want to stay 80" wide so I can still play at evans but don't know what the typical width of a "rock crawler" is.

I don't think the unit bearings are a weak link, they're just a bigger pain when it's time to replace. They make kits to eliminate them. The 30 spline stub shafts will be your weak link but that can be upgraded too. If your not hard on your rig and don't have too big of tire the stubs can last awhile. Make your rig what ever width you want. It just depends on what you want it to do. If you want to follow Pokey around you'll need to narrow them to about 36 inches.

:D I think my tires are going to be that wide. I think Im going to play around with backspacing to get the widths I want and figure out how much I need to chop out of the axle. And as far as the stub shafts ill look into upgrading them I don't plan on being real easy on this truck.