• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need help

Bronczilla

Project STINKY Superviser
Tax return time and I want to get an RC Crawler or T-max. What is the best all around platform? What is easy to maintain and upgrade?

I am totally newb when it comes to this stuff. I dont want to get to crazy so cheaper the better, I know you get what you pay for but money is always an issue.

a lot of guys have been getting good results out of the ax 10 scorpion, or the hpi wheelie king. you can find both at hobbie town usa, by the everett mall

AX-10 is like $230 is you shop around a bit but it still needs a motor, Radio and Receiver, esc, battery and charger. You can find some already built with that stuff on it for around $400. The Revo is close to $500 new but you can find them used for around $350. And the E-Maxx is $350 new. Hard to find the newer ones used but the older ones used are pretty cheap at under $200.

Went to Hobby Town by the Everett mall yesterday. Sounds like the Revo is the best for truck bashing and speed and the AX-10 is the best crawler. Now to decide which I want. If I go w/ the crawler how much more just to start wheeln? It looks like from other posts it would be $200+........is that accurate?

Thanks for the help guys :awesomework:

Last edited:
I'd really do your homework, you could get an AX-10 on the rocks for a couple hundred more, but then over time your just going to be tossing that crap and upgrading.

I bought VGM's old crawler and did exactly that. Thought I would just be happy beating around with it. Its a nasty habbit and its like a real crawler you are always wanting to upgrade something.

After buying my used crawler I spent $100 on a Crawler ESC becuase I burnt up the ESC that came with it. then $50 a new chassis and most recently $100 on a good steering servo. And I've yet to buy decent wheels, do a dig set up, get a comp legal body, etc.

check out warcrc.org and rccrawler.com and look at some of the ax-10 builds for cost ideas.

Yeah the Crawler will probably suck more money out of you. But either one you get. You will spend more money on it. I would get what you want. Maybe go to a comp and check it out see if crawling is what you're into. And see if you can drive someones Revo at the HobbyShop.

The T-maxx is an amazing rig. It put Traxxis on the map and started the nitro truck craze; it was revolutionary and it made history. That said, the Revo is traxxis' next generation truck and light years ahead of it from a design and engineering standpoint. If your gonna get a nitro truck, go Revo. (I own a Picco 26 revo and e-maxx)

I can't speak for the crawlers as I'm no expert in that. It seems like crawlers are still in their infancy and most of the really good stuff is hand built or pieced togeather. Someone correct me if If I'm out of line here.

Do you guy's seriously think crawler's suck more money out of you? You guy's must play a little different than me, as my crawler would kill a motor or maybe a servo every few months. My nitro RC's seemed like it was $50 every time I used it, $15 in fuel every time, kill a motor and it's $200 at the least, blah blah blah. I ?rc'd with a lot of Revo's, alway's seemed like their owner's loved them, but it also seemed like every day they were dropping a ton of cash on them as well. I got to the point of where I got totally screwed when I traded off my 1/8 truck, and it didn't bother me a bit as I knew I was saving about $200 a week not having it.

Do you guy's seriously think crawler's suck more money out of you? You guy's must play a little different than me, as my crawler would kill a motor or maybe a servo every few months. My nitro RC's seemed like it was $50 every time I used it, $15 in fuel every time, kill a motor and it's $200 at the least, blah blah blah. I ?rc'd with a lot of Revo's, alway's seemed like their owner's loved them, but it also seemed like every day they were dropping a ton of cash on them as well. I got to the point of where I got totally screwed when I traded off my 1/8 truck, and it didn't bother me a bit as I knew I was saving about $200 a week not having it.

Agreed, I was constantly dumping money into my Nitro's.

I would get a paypal account going and start looking on RCC and warcrc. Be ready to buy when a good deal on a prebuilt ready to run pops up for sale. The person will have already put the $ in and you can get the savings.

Hey Bronc, the E-maxx is a good rig. If you looking for one RC truck that will Bash and Crawl thats the one.

Pro's: It has suprisingly good acceleration (Punch) up to a fast jog speed, beyond that the nitros run away from it (unless your brushle$$). The E-maxx has a high range/low range transmission so its capable of very slow crawl speed. Also, all hobby shops carry a full line of spare and hop-up parts in stock. The chassis shares most of its parts with the t-maxx which makes parts even more common.
Cons: Batteries and Chargers. You could probably end up with two spare 7 cell battery sets (4 packs) and two aftermarket chargers. You could spend close to the purchase price of the truck for this stuff. Also, some guys are hard core for jumping their bashers; with the extra weight of the batteries its probably not a good idea with an E-maxx. Also, steering servo(s) are a little weak.
One thing I never understood is why Traxxis put such short wheelbases on all the trucks. The E-maxx will climb like crazy, but flips over backwards long before you get to that point. (I think all brands share this though.)

You Tube has lots of videos of these trucks in action, you can see what they can do and how amazingly unbreakable thay are.

Both versions of the RC hobby are not cheap...

Latest posts