• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Need some guidance

natedawgxj

Crawldad
As most of know I went from a buggy to a full body 4runner. I've cut a lot of the bent up body panels and tubed it. Here's my problem do I make a ftoy style buggy out of it with one tons or just build a whole new chassis? I can make up my mind on which way to go. I have to make a decision soon because these Toyota axles hate me and it's gonna be tons on this frame or not.

Once you go tube chassis you can't go back...
Plus you can spit on choc from where you live so it's not like your not going to use it.

Eddyj said:
Once you go tube chassis you can't go back...
Plus you can spit on choc from where you live so it's not like your not going to use it.

Apparently you can. He did. With regret :****:

Come on man, just spend another 3 or 4 thousand on them Toyota axles, put a set of 33 10.50 all terrains on it, and leave the cooler lid shut, and them bad boys will live for at least a year! :****:

zukimaster said:
Come on man, just spend another 3 or 4 thousand on them Toyota axles, put a set of 33 10.50 all terrains on it, and leave the cooler lid shut, and them bad boys will live for at least a year! :****:
I beat the dog **** out of yota axles. Just gotta know how to build them, run the most worn out motor you can find, and stay under 39s

BUG-E J said:
I beat the dog **** out of yota axles. Just gotta know how to build them, run the most worn out motor you can find, and stay under 39s

nah, they're still gonna break

been there, done that, won't ever do it again

smbroady82 said:
nah, they're still gonna break

been there, done that, won't ever do it again
I agree but I had a tacoma rear with treated gears and a v6 front chunk with treated gears. I payed to have them properly set up and new install kits. The housings and chassis became the problem

FTOY's are cool if cleanly designed! Full tube 4 seaters are cool too if done right! So, which one would be cheaper and less work/quicker to finish and fit your needs long term? Decide that and go with that option. Would be cool to have the runner while you build a buggy, just comes down to how much time and money you want to spend.

If you are wanting to build a chassis and go the one ton route and you are not using any of the drivetrain from the 4runner, keep wheeling it why you build a rig....that way you are not down for a long period of time without anything to drive....then sell it when you are finished with the one ton.

Linking a Ftoy and putting one tons under that platform is good at first thought, but having built a Ftoy from the ground up, i can say that i would rather put the time and effort into putting the one tons in a different style chassis other than the Ftoy.

In my opinion it would be easier to set up the drivetrain and suspension components in a chassis that has been designed for links and One Tons...if you use the Toyota frame and Ftoy chassis you would be looking a cutting most of the frame to get all of that in....and at that point i may have been easier with a different chassis. The Hendrix X chassis is designed for links ect. that will give you an idea of how a Ftoy style chassis needs to be for Links.

I love everything about the Ftoy from a "SIMPLE" standpoint, they are fun to build and wheel, but if you want to go with tons, focusing your efforts into what you really want is a good idea.

With the amount of Money i put into building my Ftoy i could have had a nice V8 one ton rig, and i wish i would have went that route...but i had the parts for the Toyota stuff at the time, so that is why i built it.

Keep the Yota' as is and build a tube chassis also. Since you don't want to reuse the axles, leave them in the 4runner. That rig goes like no other truggy I have seen, hence, leave it alone and build a tube chassis in the mean time. :driving:

ADMINISTRATOR

CHASMAN9 said:
Keep the Yota' as is and build a tube chassis also. Since you don't want to reuse the axles, leave them in the 4runner. That rig goes like no other truggy I have seen, hence, leave it alone and build a tube chassis in the mean time. :driving:

This, what would you use off it to go into a buggy anyways? By the time you link it and tons, yada yada, you're halfway to a buggy chassis.

Ftoys are cool and all but if I'm going that far with one, screw using a 30 year old frame and leaf springs.

jeeptj99 said:
Might be a dumb question but what defines a F toy? A Toyota frame with stock suspension and a tube "body"?

Formula Toy was a spec class that used a "topper" chassis from Hendrix motorsports, supposed to have stock frame, leaf springs, Toyota drivetrain.

It's a simple cage design, so "Ftoy style buggy" generally means a rig built on a Toyota (or other) frame with that style tube work.

Ah. There was one running the AOP 4 banger races that was doing really well the couple races I went to. If I could start all over again I would have done a 4 runner or truck like Brodys.