• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

new charger

Following that logic, everytime you changed a battery on a vehicle the ECU would be affected. I don't think I agree with that.

It be true. Mostly on newer obd II vehicles though. Typically when changing the battery it will have a hard start condition/ or run rough till the ECU relearns. Granted this happens all in about 30 seconds, but it does happen.

It be true. Mostly on newer obd II vehicles though. Typically when changing the battery it will have a hard start condition/ or run rough till the ECU relearns. Granted this happens all in about 30 seconds, but it does happen.

I have found it pretty rare really. Even after dozens and dozens of ecm/vcm/pcm reflash's even then I have only seen a couple (5.3's) act funny(idle) after first started.

Really on OBD I the only affected thing is the IAC due to the ecm not truely knowing where it sits. Fuel mapping is hardly an issue when in open loop from my experiences.

It's all computer controlled vehicles where the computer has memory which is basically all of them. How much it will effect depends on how good the initial tuning was. Most stock applications are prety good so no such a big deal but if there are modifications/ changes it could be a real big deal. It's not just idle either it's all RPM and load ranges. The relearn won't be complete until the vehicle is used at all RPM and load ranges which could be quite some time.
Nobody has to believe it but it's a fact.:;

True long term fuel trim parameters will need to be learned. But on a properly functioning rig you should not notice anything even with long term values not stored (OBD I and II). If you do then there is an indication of a problem and this is something we use allot for diagnosing fuel issues---just some useing facts :cool:

True long term fuel trim parameters will need to be learned. But on a properly functioning rig you should not notice anything even with long term values not stored (OBD I and II). If you do then there is an indication of a problem and this is something we use allot for diagnosing fuel issues---just some useing facts :cool:

Correct and this is the question of how well it was tuned initially. On a all stock rig it's not as much of a issue but I'm guessing Gibby isn't working on a stock daily driver?
All of this is really skirting around the real question here of why not just hook it up right? Hook the constant power lead up to constant power. It's extremely unlikely that this is what's causing the power drain.

Following that logic, everytime you changed a battery on a vehicle the ECU would be affected. I don't think I agree with that.

Agree with it :;...especially on earlier OBDI setups...OBDII is not as finicky....but it still happens. Different powertrains are affected on different levels...not to mention if there are other issues with runability that under normal circumstances you might not notice, they reallly show up after a battery disconnect (dirty IAC/throttle plates, etc...)...

Correct and this is the question of how well it was tuned initially. On a all stock rig it's not as much of a issue but I'm guessing Gibby isn't working on a stock daily driver?
All of this is really skirting around the real question here of why not just hook it up right? Hook the constant power lead up to constant power. It's extremely unlikely that this is what's causing the power drain.

This is custom built and programmed using a modified Holley Projection MPFI system. However, the tuning was factory set when it was shipped. I took it in one time to have in dyno'd and tweaked but they said that there was nothing that needed to be adjusted, so it's still has the setting that were on it out of the box. The stock heads were replaced with Vortex heads which were stage 2 ported, the intake was port matched to the heads, the cylinders ofr 0.030 over, compression elevated a little, RV cam and headers. I gave all my specs to the company that built my injection system which also has injectors that are 19% larger than factory. So I don't think my programming will change with the power off as it would default to how it was from the factory.

I'm not going to disagree with your point of wiring it right and if it's supposed to get nominal constant power, then that's fine. Something is draining my batteries. I am hot at the MSD6A box as well, with the key off. I just think that there are a couple of things wired hot instead of keyed that shouldn't be. However, Crashy Poo wired this baby up so I don't know what was supposed to be hot, what was not, and why. I did fix a wiring problem with the alternator and welder. The welder was mounted on a round fender. when the box was mounted and tightened it caused enough flex in the base to short out the unit. There was obvious burning from arcing at that point. I had that fixed and when I remounted, I put it on a solid flat mount to prevent the flex.

Something else is still a drain. I have already ruled out the winches by disconnecting them completely.

I thought about my electric line locks as one of them shorted out before. Unfortunately there's no easy access to a terminal to test to see if one is shorted out again, without having a tester that can test through the insulation. I can hear them click on and off so they appear to be working, but we did have one short out internally in the past and cause a problem. Of course, forgetting to turn them off tends to drain the battery - whoops. done that a few too many times!

This is custom built and programmed using a modified Holley Projection MPFI system. However, the tuning was factory set when it was shipped. I took it in one time to have in dyno'd and tweaked but they said that there was nothing that needed to be adjusted, so it's still has the setting that were on it out of the box. The stock heads were replaced with Vortex heads which were stage 2 ported, the intake was port matched to the heads, the cylinders ofr 0.030 over, compression elevated a little, RV cam and headers. I gave all my specs to the company that built my injection system which also has injectors that are 19% larger than factory. So I don't think my programming will change with the power off as it would default to how it was from the factory.

I can all but garantee you that the tune is off. I assume this is a closed loop system? Does it have a O2 sensor? Anyways this is not the issue with the battery drain but it could end up being a future thread when you have issues making it run right.
Good luck!:awesomework:

I have found it pretty rare really. Even after dozens and dozens of ecm/vcm/pcm reflash's even then I have only seen a couple (5.3's) act funny(idle) after first started.

Honestly now that I think about it. 5.3's are the only ones that do it to me:eeek: