• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New (old) motor options: F___ing' Big Block

Re: New motor options: Big Block or small block?

Another vote for 454.

You would lose like 200 lbs going to a 6.0. It bolts up to your trans and torque converter. That's a lot of weight for one mod and its weight up high. You could put a carb intake on it and still run propane, MSD ignition, no [oem] computer, very little wiring. Still more complex. It's what I wish I would have done though.

You need torque to make hp. And I understand what people mean about low end torque. But how much crawling do you really do? And does it really require all that low end torque? My rig has more low end than I need, its almost uncontrollable. [Stock] BBC's aren't revvers and it seems like rpm's is what killed that motor. A 6.0 can rev all damn day and will love it.

Screw a SBC.

Someone once sent me a link to a place that sells new GMPerformance 6.0 long blocks for $1200. I'm trying to find it now but can't at the moment.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hly-300-133
Put another 425 on that intake.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-6010/overview/
That will control the ignition. It will be the only computer you will need.

Or if you're happy with the one carb here's an intake with the ignition:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7118?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA4OqnBRDAj9aazvPji9ABEiQANq28oNgHPOzYnPwczjEvpm24n-hgxPPVLHHH8NUO-AU5-fUaAsIr8P8HAQ

Even your PS pump bolts up to the factory 6.0 accessory bracket. Any junk yard should have the bracket you need on a 5.3 Tahoe or something common like that.

The stock LS alternator is high amps and you'll get a serpentine setup at the same time.

patooyee said:
But how much crawling do you really do? And does it really require all that low end torque?

I absolutely love riding with JohnG and hitting the occasional obstacle...I would so more often than not we are just cursing

bbone said:
I absolutely love riding with JohnG and hitting the occasional obstacle...I would so more often than not we are just cursing

In that case I suggest a 22R or maybe a VW. You would loose 300+ lbs and with the VW even more because you could also eliminate your radiator and the associated coolant. (I'm assuming you really meant cruising, not "cursing.")

I vote for the 6.0 on pane. JJ hit it all on the head, lots upsides to doin it that way. changing motor mounts is easy and I assume the exhaust would be too....

I forgot that Ben has this really crazy header setup that twists in knots, goes back, forward, back and then forward again, twists around the passenger's feet and crap. Considering the difficulties in possibly having to change that I think the scale tilts heavily back in the 454 direction.

patooyee said:
I forgot that Ben has this really crazy header setup that twists in knots, goes back, forward, back and then forward again, twists around the passenger's feet and crap. Considering the difficulties in possibly having to change that I think the scale tilts heavily back in the 454 direction.

its not THAT bad lol

I know. :) I don't have room to talk. Its exactly like mine only mine is on the other side. I kind of want to redo mine anyway because I think I could do it better this time. But it wasn't a fun experience and I'm not sure how willing Jimmy would be to redo it. He's probably already cussing me for even suggesting anything but a BBC to begin with. :) I can hear him now in my head literally as I type this:

"F an LS, F'in 454 is the best there is, I've never had any F'in problems out of a 454, God invented the F'in 454 and I wouldn't have anything but God's work in my F'in rig. There's no F'in replacement for F'in displacement."

You're already better off with the BBC exhaust port spacing if you were to do it because a SBC has the two center ports together whereas the 454 they are spaced apart like an LS. I don't know how the spacing works out but it might be possible to basically just change the flanges and minimally modify the headers? I'm not an authority on that so maybe I'm talking crazy-talk. I also don't know how modifying coated headers works.

Just did some reading on ls1tech.com. Apparently BBC headers are different enough from LS headers to make recycling headers futile. :(

patooyee said:
I know. :) I don't have room to talk. Its exactly like mine only mine is on the other side. I kind of want to redo mine anyway because I think I could do it better this time. But it wasn't a fun experience and I'm not sure how willing Jimmy would be to redo it. He's probably already cussing me for even suggesting anything but a BBC to begin with. :) I can hear him now in my head literally as I type this:

"F an LS, F'in 454 is the best there is, I've never had any F'in problems out of a 454, God invented the F'in 454 and I wouldn't have anything but God's work in my F'in rig. There's no F'in replacement for F'in displacement."

You're already better off with the BBC exhaust port spacing if you were to do it because a SBC has the two center ports together whereas the 454 they are spaced apart like an LS. I don't know how the spacing works out but it might be possible to basically just change the flanges and minimally modify the headers? I'm not an authority on that so maybe I'm talking crazy-talk. I also don't know how modifying coated headers works.

1000% sure he would do you some headers. Would be nice to work on a nice rig

I'm sure he would. I'm saying I would like to redo them myself though. I did them the first time FOR my first time. You always go back and think of things you could do better now. I also TIG weld now which would be so much nicer than the MIG beads I laid down before.

How is your coating holding up? I coated my last set of headers and wasn't happy with the longevity. I opted to forego my current ones for hi-temp paint instead. Its held up about as well as I thought it would, which is to say shitty. I'm starting to think that wrap is the best "coating." :)

They did not hold up. But after the 1st few rides we realized we did not follow the break in procedure. Others we have had coated, have held up VERY well. I will probly get them coated again and see how they last this time with the proper break in.

bbone said:
They did not hold up. But after the 1st few rides we realized we did not follow the break in procedure. Other we have had coated have held up VERY well. I will probly get them coated again and see how they last this time wth the proper break in.

I meticulously followed the break-in procedure on my last ones. What else have you coated that has held up? His Mercedes?

patooyee said:
I meticulously followed the break-in procedure on my last ones. What else have you coated that has held up? His Mercedes?

There have been a few cars come thru the shop that have been coated. All have been good. I believe my error was the break in was not followed and then the mud just stuck to it. Now when I use the hot pressure washer it won't budge

bbone said:
There have been a few cars come thru the shop that have been coated. All have been good. I believe my error was the break in was not followed and then the mud just stuck to it. Now when I use the hot pressure washer it won't budge

Maybe I missed it but what coating isn't holding up?

We have a source for custom exhaust coating just south of Atlanta It worked great when the break in has been followed.

Did you put a set of aluminum heads on before yall put the BBC in?

If you like the propane and have no need or want to swap to running pump gas you could rebuild/replace the BBC and put on a set of aluminum heads to save weight and get more woopow.

Or if you like the idea of running gas instead of propane go with LS.

Or do like patoyee said and run an LS off propane.

I guess I never noticed your headers, that alone may sway me to replace/rebuild the big block.