• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New (old) motor options: F___ing' Big Block

bbone

May be to early to post about, since I am not sure what happened, but either way my current motor (1973 Suburban 454) finally locked up :dunno:. It has been ticking for awhile but generally makes good power. I like the simplicity, safety and ease of old power + propane. SO, whatever is next must have propane. That being said it would be super easy to just build a better 454 and rock on.

But I do ask Hardilne, if you could re power..what direction would you go? I would say my rig is a good ole trial rig (14bolts, t400, 205 lowmax, 43's)

BBC?
SBC?
LS based?

Re: New motor options: Big Block or small block?

If you are set on propane just stay old school. ls stuff is easy and hard to beat the fuel injection.

agree...I guess alot depends on how much $ one wants to dump into it.

TBItoy said:
I'd rebuilt the big block.
Or price a good reman with some warranty. May cost a little more but you wouldn't have to change anything on the buggy and I know Jasper will stand behind their warranty even if you put it in at your house.

Re:

I'll vote big block, but against my better judgment. Bolt in equals easy and that engine with more power would make "you"happy. To hell with our opinions :)

Kel Lawrence

build it, there's nothing better than a ground shaking bbc

Big block for sure, I loved tech way it sounded...until the end! Did you find out what self destructed yet?

Rebuild it or put a rebuilt/junkyard in it. Takes way too much time and effort to change powerplants when you were happy with what you have.

How much riding can you do with 1 tank? Do you have a single mixer?
Big block torque is hard to beat! Doesn't take much to make one pretty nasty.

New motor options: Big Block or small block?

Rebuild the 454!

In a full day I would use 3-4 tanks of propane with a single 425 mixer, I like the gas a little too much maybe!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive got a brand new extreme 4x4 cam and lifter kit and a brand new set of shorty headers that I would make you a deal on if your interested in them (for a big block)

JohnG said:
Rebuild it or put a rebuilt/junkyard in it. Takes way too much time and effort to change powerplants when you were happy with what you have.

This

An employee of mine just bought a 96 454 vortex with 89k miles on it complete for 600 bucks . That's what I would do. But please stay with a BB.

Man, if you lived closer, I would love to help ya make that big boy sing! I have built everything from a dump truck engine, to a 4 second drag car. But would for sure go back with the same, that way it will be a straight bolt in.

throttlejunkie said:
How much riding can you do with 1 tank? Do you have a single mixer?
Big block torque is hard to beat! Doesn't take much to make one pretty nasty.

Big things to consider with pane. With a single mixer probably near the limit with a newer healthy stock 454. A built one is going to need duals. Someone who knows how to build a restrictor plate motor could help you get the most out of one on a single though. Luckily compression is your friend on pane.

I vote another 454 built or not.

Latest posts