• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New (old) motor options: F___ing' Big Block

Re: New motor options: Big Block or small block?

patooyee said:
I'm sure he would. I'm saying I would like to redo them myself though. I did them the first time FOR my first time. You always go back and think of things you could do better now. I also TIG weld now which would be so much nicer than the MIG beads I laid down before.

How is your coating holding up? I coated my last set of headers and wasn't happy with the longevity. I opted to forego my current ones for hi-temp paint instead. Its held up about as well as I thought it would, which is to say shitty. I'm starting to think that wrap is the best "coating." :)

They rust away underneath the wrap

Btw, could you change the title of this thread to F'ng Big Block in honor of Draggbody?

Neal3000 said:
They rust away underneath the wrap

I know. But at least you can't see it and by the time they're gone you wanted to replace them anyway. :)

patooyee said:
I know. :) I don't have room to talk. Its exactly like mine only mine is on the other side. I kind of want to redo mine anyway because I think I could do it better this time. But it wasn't a fun experience and I'm not sure how willing Jimmy would be to redo it. He's probably already cussing me for even suggesting anything but a BBC to begin with. :) I can hear him now in my head literally as I type this:

"F an LS, F'in 454 is the best there is, I've never had any F'in problems out of a 454, God invented the F'in 454 and I wouldn't have anything but God's work in my F'in rig. There's no F'in replacement for F'in displacement."

You're already better off with the BBC exhaust port spacing if you were to do it because a SBC has the two center ports together whereas the 454 they are spaced apart like an LS. I don't know how the spacing works out but it might be possible to basically just change the flanges and minimally modify the headers? I'm not an authority on that so maybe I'm talking crazy-talk. I also don't know how modifying coated headers works.

JJ I can hear him all the way to Alabama! BBC is the f'in best motor ever!

I ran a 496" engine on dual propane with no issues, if you want power AND torque go with the big block, mine twisted 7000 all day then would crawl around with the best of them. Hard to beat the power of a BIG BLOCK.

tbacon38 said:
I ran a 496" engine on dual propane with no issues, if you want power AND torque go with the big block, mine twisted 7000 all day then would crawl around with the best of them. Hard to beat the power of a BIG BLOCK.
this is right damn hard to bet bb in any flavor

Stock heads from 1973.. have read a little bit about stock heads vs aluminum heads vs stock heads getting worked..then I realized how little I know about motors...

No decision yet...still havent had any time to find out whats wrong with it. Work, gf, house remodel...where is my rum! :drinkers:

bbone said:
Stock heads from 1973.. have read a little bit about stock heads vs aluminum heads vs stock heads getting worked..then I realized how little I know about motors...

No decision yet...still havent had any time to find out whats wrong with it. Work, gf, house remodel...where is my rum! :drinkers:

Those stock heads probably weigh as much as an aluminum block 6.2 :****:

Re: New motor options: F___ing' Big Block or small block?

I run a aluminum headed big block and my buggy topped the scales at 4240 with out me in it and no fuel, Since I have added a cut down winch figure 50 pounds for that. The torque gain is going to overcome the weight difference. On the steel heads vs. Aluminum heads just do whats in your budget, I know for a fact you can get some decent aluminum heads for around 1200 bucks assembled that will support up to a .600 lift cam. I haven't built a set of steel heads in a while so don't know the cost.

tbacon38 said:
I run a aluminum headed big block and my buggy topped the scales at 4240 with out me in it and no fuel, Since I have added a cut down winch figure 50 pounds for that. The torque gain is going to overcome the weight difference. On the steel heads vs. Aluminum heads just do whats in your budget, I know for a fact you can get some decent aluminum heads for around 1200 bucks assembled that will support up to a .600 lift cam. I haven't built a set of steel heads in a while so don't know the cost.

Iron heads are great. For anchoring boats and **** like that :****:

She was 4920lbs before I went to a front 14bolt..here is the video my gf took:

CUCV Buggy cable hill lock up

I had always thought some good heads would wake it up...still have to see whats wrong with it...no time still.

If your not asking for more than 600 hp, Brodex race rite 270's will give quick throttle response and support a 600 lift cam and still make hp to 6500 rpm's. Inhave a 489 that revs like a dirt bike and makes over 600 ft lbs toured at 3500 rpm's . Wouldn't trade em for a dump truck load of reworked iron heads. My .02

Re:

That video hurts my feelings. Find some time Ben. I missed out on you riding this go round. Need to catch up on the next go round.

Kel Lawrence

How hard is it going to be to pull it? Is the chassis built around it where you have to take the buggy half apart to get the motor out, or will it come out easy enough like out of a truck?

very easy...one bar to remove on the top, big open frame to remove from the top.

Neal3000 said:
What about a F'n LS BigBlock.....8.1

I love an 8.1, but is is kind of the worse of both worlds... small cathedral port heads on a leaky older design block

That sux so there's really no LS to it then i guess? but it does have approx 100 more hp and tq in stock form amirite?

Neal3000 said:
That sux so there's really no LS to it then i guess? but it does have approx 100 more hp and tq in stock form amirite?

There's similarities, the biggest being that it runs basically an identical FI system to Gen III LS motors and to me that's the biggest reason to run one. Aftermarket isn't great but I think Dart and Raylar Engineering make alum heads and you can definitely get power out of them. But, GM discontinued the engine for a reason, the new LS stuff is making just as much power and lighter to boot. Maybe not as much torque but unless you're pulling stumps or hauling heavy loads with your buggy do you really care?

Late update:
Pulled the motor. #8 piston exploded, the wall on that cylinder is rough looking...everything else looks good. I guess the plan is to take the block to machine shop and see what they say.

When I took the oil pan off, I found the piston: