• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New (old) motor options: F___ing' Big Block

Re: New motor options: F___ing' Big Block or small block?

That's not a problem, they will just put a sleeve in it! I got 2 sleeved bores in my big block I got in my Chevelle, from nitrous blowing pistons apart!

Re:

It's always amazing to me to see pics like that and wonder how MORE stuff isn't screwed up. I mean, the way that piston looks you would think that engine would have just grenaded completely killing everyone around with 454 shrapnel.

Re:

patooyee said:
It's always amazing to me to see pics like that and wonder how MORE stuff isn't screwed up. I mean, the way that piston looks you would think that engine would have just grenaded completely killing everyone around with 454 shrapnel.

NO ****!! We couldn't believe it either...I think I was lucky. Found small pieces everywhere, but this was the only damage. Hope to take the block to machine shop soon.

Update:

-motor is at machine shop where they are doing there work. Looks like I was lucky, as posted above it was just 1 cylinder. Decided to go with a 496 stroker kit.

-dropped off the stock heads and intake to get some work down on them as well. The builder said he would recommend what cam to go with. Sticking with the cast heads..overall they are in good shape and I will spend minimal $ on these.

-All along I have talked about building this for low end, up too 5,000 rmp. That being said I hope to put it back together very soon, just a few more parts to pick out

bbone said:
Update:

-motor is at machine shop where they are doing there work. Looks like I was lucky, as posted above it was just 1 cylinder. Decided to go with a 496 stroker kit.

-dropped off the stock heads and intake to get some work down on them as well. The builder said he would recommend what cam to go with. Sticking with the cast heads..overall they are in good shape and I will spend minimal $ on these.

-All along I have talked about building this for low end, up too 5,000 rmp. That being said I hope to put it back together very soon, just a few more parts to pick out
If you don't mind could you do a parts list with cost? I'm weighing doing this to my $200 tow rig and a actual cost would be awesome! Mine is a '98 model so is full roller and best heads stock from what I have read?

Finally a update:

-being assembled now, hope to have it in soon but work is busy and we have some trips upcoming.
-heads are done...here are some specs:
192cfm@200 lift
254@300
290@400
305@500

Had a custom cam made:

ARP head bolts are hitting header flanges on both sides... :mad:

Clearance header flange or use different head bolts??

Motor is in. Makes very good power. Very pleased with how it turned out.
-high range is much more usable
-low end torque feels much stronger
-haven't beat on it yet, but all indications are it's exactly what I wanted out of big block: instant torque and lots of it, reliability and simplicity

How much more power do you think it makes over the 454? I'm building the same motor with aluminum heads.

Not sure...couldn't give you any solid numbers..just that it feels way more powerful. The torque is there for sure..but you expect that.

Gotta love the old school stroker motors, I love mine and wouldn't want anything different. Glad you stayed with it and glad its what you wanted.