• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New style sway bar

Stump

Long Log Lunger
This is on the front axle of the screamin sammi. I am having trouble trying to fit a traditional style parallel to the axle with 2 arms.
Why can't I run a s bar beside the lower link with a small u-joint at the axle and one at the frame, it will need a slip yolk of less than 1 in. I would guess twice the the rate of a standard bar, would be correct. I think this would be fine on a sub 2000lb vehicle. I'm tired of thinking. I worry about it twisting at the slip yolk or breaking if I weld the bar. I guess each end will need to be a clamp style mount.

Stump said:
This is on the front axle of the screamin sammi. I am having trouble trying to fit a traditional style parallel to the axle with 2 arms.
Why can't I run a s bar beside the lower link with a small u-joint at the axle and one at the frame, it will need a slip yolk of less than 1 in. I would guess twice the the rate of a standard bar, would be correct. I think this would be fine on a sub 2000lb vehicle. I'm tired of thinking. I worry about it twisting at the slip yolk or breaking if I weld the bar. I guess each end will need to be a clamp style mount.

I need a picture.....

I dont follow what you mean by "s bar" and I'm not real sure if what Im getting a mental image of is what your thinking....

HELL..........just put some LAKEWOOD SLAPPER BARS under it,... and BUTT WELD a piece of damn REBAR in between them....... molaugh

A pic is going to be dificult. Think of it this way. A toyota d shaft 4 bolt flange on each end. one end bolted to the axle and the other to the chassis. Use a sway bar in place of a d shaft. it would be like welding one end of the sway bar to the axle and the other to the chassis. like the letter T, the top line of the T being the axle and the bottom of the T being the sway bar mounted to the chassis. their would be a joint at the axle and one at the chassis.

One on each side of the axle ?

I dont see how that would effectively control body roll, seems any torsion it would take would be biased to one side or the other and likely overwhelmed by the leverage it would recieve. At least thats if Im picturing what your talking about laughing1

I love crazy idea's though, build it and see how it does ! thumb.gif

musselman said:
I have tried this setup with a torsion bar from a Nissan ran it along side of the driveshaft. It didn't work to much leverage.

That would make since. thumb.gif Doesnt hurt to try , thats how things get sorted out !! Thanks for the input !