• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

New to the PANE dumb ass propane questions

BNBOFFROAD

i just bought this buggy

and it has a built 350 on propane this is the first propane engine i have ever messed with ,,i backed it out of the shop the other day and it stopped running (i didn't let it warm up just started it and backed it out )i got maybe 20ft before it stopped and it would barley start and run acting like it was out of fuel. i checked the tank it was half full so i started looking at the propane system (have no idea what i am looking at) but i notice that a line coming out of the water pump heater hose port i think runs into the mixer and one comes out of the mixer ( i guess that's what i'm looking at ) and back into the manifold ..... so in my rational thinking do i have to let the motor warm up before it will run correct ? because the water when hot running through the mixer makes the propane not freeze up? . any and all help would be greatly apperciated i am just taking a stab in the dark at this booyang

The one that has the heater hoses is called a evaporator. The mixer is on the intake.

Try purging the evaporator. There should be a little button on top with a small spring under it that you can push in for a few seconds. I had to do this on my old propane setup to get it running sometimes.

Re: Re: New to the PANE dumb ass propane questions

85toyo said:
Yep, that's it. Not sure why I was thinking condenser.
We call them regulators up here.

Shitty vacuum to a shitty vacuum lock off will make it run but not really run.

Re: Re: New to the PANE dumb ass propane questions

Sometimes the angle of the tank and where the pickup is inside of could make a difference. Some tanks can be ran lying down and some have to be stood up.
Might not be the problem, but I've seen that happen before

If the tank is laying down it does have to be clocked properly to pick up fluid ...

BNBOFFROAD said:
Lol funny you should say that he only wheeled the thing once after a shop in nc :afro: it together he was clueless about the whole rig , I've found a couple things that this so called "shop" did that was not worth a ****

wouldn't happened to of been big dodge of buggy 68 laughing1

How about a pic of the regulator/evap and the mixer? If the reg is the highest point of the cooling system it will get air trapped in it and freeze over.

Feel around for frozen stuff. Check the line and all fittings coming from the tank and especially the back half of the regulator.

AdamF said:
How about a pic of the regulator/evap and the mixer? If the reg is the highest point of the cooling system it will get air trapped in it and freeze over.
Will do I am gonna tear into it this week

1 easy one to go ahead and eliminate is the tank itself. Does it say "liquid" or "vapor" on the tank beside where the valve goes into the tank? If it says liquid (like it's supposed to), you could try turning the tank upside down and seeing if it changes how it runs. I've heard of the pickups breaking off inside the tank, so if you turn it upside down and it runs like a champ, that would be what happened.

My spare grill bottle I carry with me while wheeling is just a vapor tank, meaning it doesn't have an internal pickup in the tank, it just works off vapor like a gas grill or tank top heater. It will still run the truck on vapor, but not good enough to haul ass or be aggressive with the throttle unless I turn it upside down so all the liquid propane then will be feeding through the vapor hole and into the lines directly.

Just a little simple propane tank knowledge for you if you are like I was when I bought my propaned rig. I didn't know **** about propane tanks before, other than I gotta have one if I wanna cook **** on my grill.....lol

Oh and good looking buggy! Blue ORI's look sweet!

Latest posts