• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

No More grey area if SB-5366 passes

Whatever we do, we need to watch SB-5366 VERY closely. If there is a session, I hope that someone can come represent us. If no one steps up, I'll probably end up driving to Olympia..

If SB-5366 passes, most ORV users will be considered criminals. Its worth the drive to stop it.

Whatever we do, we need to watch SB-5366 VERY closely. If there is a session, I hope that someone can come represent us. If no one steps up, I'll probably end up driving to Olympia..

If SB-5366 passes, most ORV users will be considered criminals. Its worth the drive to stop it.
:awesomework:

FWIW, a DUI is a gross misdemeanor, and sometimes a class C felony if there are certain circumstances. Little bit worse than a misdemeanor like this. Either way, I agree that I don't like the way this is worded...

~T.J.

So does this "Trout Unlimited Guy" have a name? How about a private residence in Washington State? If he (they) want to make this a personal issue I say we return the favor. Fair is fair, and every man must be held accountable for his actions. PM is fine, but I say we get the information out there ASAP.

Also how hard is it to get a bill like this into the legislature for consideration? Any way we could draw up a bill to make any and all recreational fishing illegal in Washington State? Our "damage" is a couple ruts through the forest. They kill and remove marine life causing direct damage to the ecosystem. We don't cut down trees and take them with us when we leave, they do.

Just a thought.

Seth Cool is one of the guys behind it (hes part of Conservation Northwest) .. what I find ironic is that its some of his friends who ride mtn bikes illegally (now sorta legal because the land manager gave into pressure) ... if this is brought up to public meeting, I will point out the irony.

The main thing we need to get across is that illegal use is not because of 'bad apples' but because of lack of proper legal access. I'd venture to guess 50% of regular ORV users have been on an illegal trail, some knowing, some unknowning.

Which comes to you guys--and what I find is really sad -- no one will own up to the fact that all of our areas were once user-built and unmanaged. And this will continue until DNR builds enough parks to sustain the hobby.

this is why we need to fight section 8. Because its not wrong to build trails. and its very different than mud bogging through a meadow.

Other supporters of SB5366 that claim to be pro-ORV are Ted Jackson and Gary Johnson. Maybe you have heard of them? Those two are also blaming me and WOHVA trying to ruin ORV'ing because we are opposing SB5366.

Yes, I've heard of both.

While Tod, you have legitimate points about the other issues in the bill, I only have time to really spend on killing Section 8. This directly affects everyone I represent.

That section is written by users who target us as destructive users of user-built trails. But they fail to recognize that their own users do the same thing. (Illegal Trails)

Last edited:
5366 now needs to be stopped

You've seen Tod's rationale ... and will hear a lot of rhetoric from a vocal minority about how WOHVA flip-flopped on this one. Originally SB5366 was supportable ... but the addition of the legal penalties and several other sections via amendments made it unacceptable.

We're looking out for 4x4, ATV and dirt bikes interests and won't throw any of them under the bus for the other. We realize ATV's need road access ... but this is not the bill as amended to provide it. Yes, we have problems with infighting as well. Welcome to democracy.

Thanks for supporting Tod and for helping us hear your concerns. We need every bit of input you can provide.

Byron Stuck
President, WOHVA

We're looking out for 4x4, ATV and dirt bikes interests and won't throw any of them under the bus for the other. We realize ATV's need road access ... but this is not the bill as amended to provide it. Yes, we have problems with infighting as well. Welcome to democracy.

Thanks for supporting Tod and for helping us hear your concerns. We need every bit of input you can provide.

Byron Stuck
President, WOHVA

Welcome to NWW Byron! I just contacted my Senator voicing my opposition.

5366 passes Senate 41 to 5

It had one small but good amendment.

The penalty for riding/driving in the wrong place was left at $500, but changed to a ticket instead of a misdemeanor.

Now it moves to the House.

Most likely the Transportation Committee.

5366 passes Senate 41 to 5

It had one small but good amendment.

The penalty for riding/driving in the wrong place was left at $500, but changed to a ticket instead of a misdemeanor.

Now it moves to the House.

Most likely the Transportation Committee.

That's actually a pretty big deal. It's the difference between a criminal record and a fine. Thanks again Tod and Byron for everything you guys do.

Another improvement on that issue.

The words

"A person may not operate a nonhighway vehicle on public lands unless the area is designated by the land manager as open for nonhighway vehicle use."

Replaced with:

"A person may not operate a nonhighway vehicle on any public lands in violation of rules and regulations of the agency administering such lands"

I think that this fixed a potential disaster.

Anti-ORV organizations are spooling up their effort to support this bill.
They even want it amended to add more criminal penalties, jail time, etc.

Have you done your part to put down this good bill gone bad?

Latest posts